• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Strike Lists Touken Ranbu, Welcome to the Ballroom, Dive!! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
I am in tears. Taking Tourabu has hit me where it matters. I'm gonna leave work and drive to the closest overpass/bridge. Goodbye, weebos.

It doesn't say "Exclusive" (yet........) so I am still holding out hope beyond hope that CR is able to get it. Otherwise, I don't think I'm watching anything other the backlog on CR this season. *smfh*
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
CR needs a competitor with deeper pockets. I would prefer it be someone like Hidive, which has better subtitles than either CR or Amazon, and matches or exceeds most of their features. However, they just don't have the money to compete with them for licenses right now, and honestly, no one will ever be able to compete with Amazon's financial muscles as long as they stay in the market. At least Amazon is allowing the license market to stay competitive, and ensuring that Funimation won't walk away with nearly every show each season.

You keep talking "monopoly" but when did Funi get "every show in the season" though? Sure they got some of the bigger stuff most of the time (Tokyo Ghoul, AoT, MHA, etc.) but Sentai still managed to get some decent to good shows during some of those seasons, and they were also in competition with AoA and Crunchy (before the partnership) as well.

There's always been a relatively healthy amount of competition in the licensing game until Amazon started Big Manning it like Deebo from Friday.
WikiSonic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
It's really hard as someone who doesn't have Prime to jump in when I hear how inconsistent Anime Strike is. The subtitling issues in particular sound like they'd be annoying.

Anyway, here's my main point of criticism: Why should I have to commit myself to a service that I don't want to be eligible to subscribe for anime? I'm the type of person who drops subscriptions whenever I don't have a need for them. If I ever want to cut Prime out then I'm out of luck because I won't be able to use Anime Strike anymore.

This is a problem that Amazon needs an answer for and if their answer remains the same—that Anime Strike is an anime service for Prime users only—then as an anime fan I'm simply not going to be happy. Right now this is a Prime service first and an anime service second, as far as I'm concerned.

So yeah, I don't like that anime is being held hostage behind a double paywall so people like me have no choice but to pay Amazon money for the privilege of being able to pay for another service to watch their exclusive anime. I have no problem criticizing CR and I certainly don't have a problem criticizing Amazon—especially since they have more money and should be better.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Everything Cave sad is correct, and mimics how the vocal majority of fans online react to Anime Strike. I've spent enough time talking about why I hate the service as it stands currently, but Amazon is a terrifying entity for the anime industry just based off of their business practices in the past.

And yes I understand that Amazon hasn't killed Funiroll yet, but they have put many business out-of-business with their aggressive (and honestly purely malicious) market strategies. And that doesn't stop at just retail chains (which there are many) but also any type of service offering. Just as an example, they launched "Amazon Handmade" with the direct goal to put Etsy out of business. Why? Because that's just Amazon. Same with how they purchased Audible and got into e-books in the first place was to completely kill Nook. They just throw money at things until the competition folds or gets considerably down-sized.

The only time it hasn't worked is against companies with equal or even more money such as Google, Microsoft, and Apple. Who destroyed Amazon's attempt at cracking into their markets. But you don't see Microsoft trying to kill off Etsy, or Nook, or (possibly) Anime Streaming, etc. Which is why Amazon gets a bad rap in comparison.

Again I reiterate that this is not the case so far, but I don't trust Amazon in the slightest for how they've treated Niche markets in the past.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Cave wrote:
Peebs wrote:
I am in tears. Taking Tourabu has hit me where it matters. I'm gonna leave work and drive to the closest overpass/bridge. Goodbye, weebos.

It doesn't say "Exclusive" (yet........) so I am still holding out hope beyond hope that CR is able to get it. Otherwise, I don't think I'm watching anything other the backlog on CR this season. *smfh*

It was licensed by AoA so it will be on CR as well, like Eromanga and Granblue Fantasy.
MissT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I checked prime to see what anime was available for me because I had forgotten and the total amount of anime I have access to and that I can't watch through crunchyroll are 24 titles total, I counted them. That really is not much for the price they demand.

Also, as someone who watches 90% of my anime on tv, prime is just an awful service. No chromecast support, no ps4 support, no smart-tv support and fire tv/sticks aren't sold in my country. The only way to watch prime on tv is casting through your browser and then I might as well just stream illegally. So while amazon can brag about how they have launched nearly worldwide they fail to mention that the service they provide is really shitty in some countries. I have some issues with crunchyroll but they still provide a large amount of content, ps4 + chromecast support and (usually) pretty wide releases.

So yes, I think people have the right to be upset with amazon, a lot of people are getting screwed over by this.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
CR needs a competitor with deeper pockets. I would prefer it be someone like Hidive, which has better subtitles than either CR or Amazon, and matches or exceeds most of their features. However, they just don't have the money to compete with them for licenses right now, and honestly, no one will ever be able to compete with Amazon's financial muscles as long as they stay in the market. At least Amazon is allowing the license market to stay competitive, and ensuring that Funimation won't walk away with nearly every show each season.

You keep talking "monopoly" but when did Funi get "every show in the season" though? Sure they got some of the bigger stuff most of the time (Tokyo Ghoul, AoT, MHA, etc.) but Sentai still managed to get some decent to good shows during some of those seasons, and they were also in competition with AoA and Crunchy (before the partnership) as well.

There's always been a relatively healthy amount of competition in the licensing game until Amazon started Big Manning it like Deebo from Friday.

I was talking more CR in that regard than Funimation. The last few seasons prior to Anime Strike, Sentai was licensing far, far fewer shows than it had in the past, and it had missed out on the vast majority of the big titles. It had been a while since they had licensed a top tier title like Parasyte, for instance. But since Funimation now handles video distribution for CR, they will be handling their titles and CR's as well. Sentai on its own lacks a big blockbuster title like DBZ, doesn't have a larger parent company, and simply doesn't have the pockets to compete with Funimation and CR every season for licenses.

Since the majority of titles that AoA licenses are simply being handled by them for their Japanese parent, they don't really compete that much for licenses with either Funimation or Sentai. Not to mention, they stream their simulcasts on CR too, in addition to just about every other site out there. So they definitely aren't competition for CR.

I don't see how Amazon has cut down on competition as you claim it has though. It's not working exclusively with any one partner, and hosts shows from Sentai, Aniplex, and Funimation, in addition to the shows it has acquired. Funi and CR were even able to get home video rights to one of their titles. In terms of total numbers, it hasn't even really taken that many titles away from CR, who is still getting more than double the number of shows per season and has the vast majority of the long running series.
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
So far, Aniplex hasn't released any titles that streamed exclusively on one service. That could change, but it seems unlikely and it goes against their stated goal of having as much exposure for a show as possible when it comes to streaming. Of course, they have new leadership, so they might try something new.

Saekano b was Amazon-only, but that was also a NoitaminA series, so it fell under the umbrella of the Amazon/Fuji deal. Otherwise you're right, Aniplex is more likely to spread their shows across multiple platforms. But I think the OP is also right to speculate about Saekano and ReCreators too, when you look at Aniplex's recent tendency to hoard all of their own titles for AoA to release (or not release, as the case may be). Especially in Saekano's case where it's an Aniplex title to the bone (right down to being animated by A-1) and AoA already has season 1, it'd be shocking if someone else besides AoA ended up with season 2.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
So far, Aniplex hasn't released any titles that streamed exclusively on one service. That could change, but it seems unlikely and it goes against their stated goal of having as much exposure for a show as possible when it comes to streaming. Of course, they have new leadership, so they might try something new.

Saekano b was Amazon-only, but that was also a NoitaminA series, so it fell under the umbrella of the Amazon/Fuji deal. Otherwise you're right, Aniplex is more likely to spread their shows across multiple platforms. But I think the OP is also right to speculate about Saekano and ReCreators too, when you look at Aniplex's recent tendency to hoard all of their own titles for AoA to release (or not release, as the case may be). Especially in Saekano's case where it's an Aniplex title to the bone (right down to being animated by A-1) and AoA already has season 1, it'd be shocking if someone else besides AoA ended up with season 2.

That may be true, but so far AoA has refused to license or release any titles that have exclusive streaming deals. So unless they have changed their business plans, the chances of them licensing season two are relatively slim. And if AoA would license Saekano, only not to release it on home video, there would be little difference anyway. But as I said, they just had a change in leadership, so anything is possible.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

Same with how they purchased Audible and got into e-books in the first place was to completely kill Nook. They just throw money at things until the competition folds or gets considerably down-sized.

This one you actually have backwards. Amazon's Kindle launched in 2007. Barnes and Noble didn't launch their Nook line until 2009. The kindle is credited with establishing the e-reader market in the US, as previous readers had been very unsuccessful. The Nook, on the other hand, was never very successful for Barnes and Noble and has never been profitable for them. I believe their market share has never been higher than 15%.
leelee85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
WingKing wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

That may be true, but so far AoA has refused to license or release any titles that have exclusive streaming deals. So unless they have changed their business plans, the chances of them licensing season two are relatively slim. And if AoA would license Saekano, only not to release it on home video, there would be little difference anyway. But as I said, they just had a change in leadership, so anything is possible.

yeah, But how many anime did Funimation went on to license despite having exclusive streaming deals?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
leelee85 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
WingKing wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

yeah, But how many anime did Funimation went on to license despite having exclusive streaming deals?

We were talking about Aniplex, so what does Funimation have to do with anything?

You could count Kabaneri, but wasn't that technically a CR license that they are dubbing and distributing for them?
leelee85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
leelee85 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
WingKing wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

We were talking about Aniplex, so what does Funimation have to do with anything?

You could count Kabaneri, but wasn't that technically a CR license that they are dubbing and distributing for them?

The point I am making is All the animes on top are still fair game to be licensed by CR Funimation or Sentai. AOA can do their thing as long as Amazon has exclusive rights to streaming (unless Amazon decides to dub the anime)
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
No, they aren't going to flop, because Amazon did pay truckloads of money for streaming rights. If other companies would've paid more money (CR, Funimation), then you bet they would've had these instead, but they didn't pay more money, end of story.
Well Amazon does make over a 100 billion dollars a year in revenue and the only bright side to Anime Strike is that the Japanese companies are likely getting lots of money from it. For anime fans though Anime Strike means a double paywall, no dubs for any of the simulcast series, and little in the way of marketing. Crunchyroll offers a free ad-supported option, Funimation offers simuldubs, Anime Strike offers to steal your wallet. Joking aside Anime Strike is a horrible deal. If Amazon wants anime fans to like Anime Strike they need to give them a reason to like it.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Full Anime Strike lineup:
Katsugeki: Touken Ranu (7/1)
Love & Lies (7/3)
DIVE!! (7/5)
Altair: A Record of Battles (7/7)
Vatican Miracle Examiner (7/7)
Made in Abyss (7/7)
Welcome to the Ballroom (7/8)
Hitorijime My Hero (7/8)
Princess Principal (7/8)
Lights of the Clione (7/12)
Hell Girl 4 (7/14)
Sagrada, RoB and Re:Creators w/ more new eps!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6