• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Apocrypha Anime to Premiere on Netflix on November 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:46 am Reply with quote
^That's true, if there is enough demand for it, it will be made. Funimation certainly has kept at it so there is some demand for it. Though given that no other dub studio bothers to do so, at least to them, rightly or wrongly, there doesn't seem to be enough demand to warrant the extra effort and risk to simuldub their series. How big is the simuldub viewer base anyways? If the number of viewers brought by simuldubs is only marginal to the number of dub viewers and buyers, it seems reasonable for them to demur to simuldubbing their work. If they rush something out that isn't as good as their usual work or Funi's simuldubs, and few watch it because it isn't quite up to snuff, was it worth the investment? You may or may not agree with their decision, but I think it is reasonable enough to be cautious with their dubs.

Though really, if we're asking for stuff from Netflix, how about we ask for a simulcast outside Japan before we ask them to dub it as it airs? First things first.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:05 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^That's true, if there is enough demand for it, it will be made. Funimation certainly has kept at it so there is some demand for it. Though given that no other dub studio bothers to do so, at least to them, rightly or wrongly, there doesn't seem to be enough demand to warrant the extra effort and risk to simuldub their series. How big is the simuldub viewer base anyways? If the number of viewers brought by simuldubs is only marginal to the number of dub viewers and buyers, it seems reasonable for them to demur to simuldubbing their work. If they rush something out that isn't as good as their usual work or Funi's simuldubs, and few watch it because it isn't quite up to snuff, was it worth the investment? You may or may not agree with their decision, but I think it is reasonable enough to be cautious with their dubs.

The problem is that in the USA (serious) dubbing is atm not a big industry (since import films are rarely dubbed and dubbing is mostly reserved for american cartoons), so dubbing in general requires extra effort when you compare it to other regions, i.e. we have dubbing studios for latin spanish in mexico, venezuela and chile.But the demand is there, since the mainstream is used to hearing words spoken in their own language vs.reading little letters at the bottom of the screen.

Quote:
Though really, if we're asking for stuff from Netflix, how about we ask for a simulcast outside Japan before we ask them to dub it as it airs? First things first.

Mark my words, that will not happen, Netflix might get at a later date access to a dub of a formerly sub only series/film, but if they call the shots they will wait until the dub is done before releasing anything to a region for the first time. But hey, people can nag netflix for simulsubs/weekly releases until they give up and prove me wrong.
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
WHYYYY!?!??!?! Why did they just have to take this show?!?! Why couldn't it be Crunchyroll!??!?! They have all of the other Fate seires,s o why did Apocrypha in particular had to go to Netflix!?!?!?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
@mangamuscle definitely the demand is there, especially considering Netflix's largely mainstream viewship. But on the other hand, casual fans don't typically follow shows as they air so they (and by extension Netflix) don't really care if it is simuldubbed or whatnot (I don't know if they'd even be familiar with the term, as I've never heard it used outside of English speaking anime community and industry). They aren't really following what's hot right now so a few months makes little difference to attracting the mainstream viewer. And they may be used to Netflix's binging model so having to wait for each episode to come out week after week may not be desirable.

I think you are correct for the time being on Netflix not changing their ways, but I think simuldubs will not happen before silmulcasts, so if the latter doesn't happen, the former won't either. We're getting away from the specific topic of this thread so I'll leave it at that.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:36 am Reply with quote
wow, this sorta sucks. a lot
while waiting November 7th isn't really that big a deal, I mean I could just imagine it was delayed by an entire season it does mean that there won't be a weekly streaming review and comments section where myself and other fans can try to figure out the identities of the whopping 13 servants (since 2 are revealed from the beginning).
ANN is usually my go to place for this kinda stuff so I guess ill have to find somewhere else for this series, and that really sucks.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
Whoever does marketing for Netflix are idiots. I'd have push for a "Netflix Live" stream where Netflix can highlight new generated content weekly. I'm glad this is going to have a dub but long gone are the days off waiting forever for a new series. Anime creators need to start taking into account dubbing process to make sure simulpubs can be release sooner.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:07 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Is anyone actually genuinely surprised by this? It's exactly in line with what they've been doing with anime over the past couple of years.
We all saw it coming. We're just very mad that it actually happened.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
November is a great turn-around, especially since it will be before the 2nd cour finishes airing. Since Netflix always has dubs for their stuff (that I've seen, at least), that'll give plenty of time for quality translation and dub.
brynhild

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
Whoever does marketing for Netflix are idiots. I'd have push for a "Netflix Live" stream where Netflix can highlight new generated content weekly. I'm glad this is going to have a dub but long gone are the days off waiting forever for a new series. Anime creators need to start taking into account dubbing process to make sure simulpubs can be release sooner.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but they do. They have multiple "First Run" series (that's their name for it) where they post episodes weekly after the TV broadcast of them.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Personally? I don't really mind waiting for this series at all. I enjoy the Fate series, but maybe it's because as I get older I just don't care as much about having to watch stuff weekly. Only certain shows I care about keeping updated on (Free!, YOI, or something like that).
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:27 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

I don't think the wait is really the heart of the matter though. I mean yes it's an issue, but not the only one.

It's like you said "we are in a simulcast era" for better or worse that is the landscape of the anime industry now in regards to how shows are released outside (or in some cases even inside) Japan.

It's more than just waiting a few extra months for the show. It's about the community. Most people like to be in the forefront of what's going down each season. They like to watch an episode of a show when it drops, and then immediately go to a forum (whether it be tumblr, reddit, facebook, twitter, or even here on ANN) and talk about said episode with other fans. What they liked, what they didn't like, theories, speculation and all that good stuff. They like to be a part of that conversation right there in that moment.

What Netflix (and to a lesser extent Amazon) is doing is depriving people of that sense of community. By releasing the shows long after they are relevant (because let's face it fan's attention spans when it comes to these things is very short) the conversations no longer have any meaning because the people who really wanted to see it have either stopped caring about seeing it, arrived too late to the party and had it spoiled one way or another, or watched it illegally (which hurts the industry in the long run).

I suppose I can understand that view. Call it my inner pessimist but I do think the idea of waiting being foreign/the entitlement attitude does play a bigger part. I'll concede the truth is probably more in the middle than swinging to either side.

I suppose for me the idea of the show not being relevant after the first few months just seems ridiculous to me. I get wanting to discuss shows but with how much there is out there I feel like there is plenty to discuss. Then again I am not a teenager. I don't live at home. I have a mortgage, pay bills, and have a job. I don't mean that as in insult but there is a vast difference in lifestyle between the young anime fans without any of those responsibilities and those like me who do have them. Fans without them can watch all they like as soon as they want without having to do that pesky thing called a 40 hour work week and family events etc. I also suppose many of the fans like me with said responsibilities probably grew up during the anime dvd single days so we had to wait before. Newer fans/kids now a days never had to do that. Like when your dad would sa in my day I had to walk to school. Again, there's that old man pessimism I suppose. Not even that old. Crying or Very sad
Revy's MINE!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
dsfjr1190 wrote:
They are taking the time to dub it into a bunch of different languages like they did with LWA. It sounds reasonable to me. Netflix isn't just making these shows for people that are already anime fans; they want to get the average viewer watching too. If the average viewer clicks on a show and its in a foreign language they'd most likely go and watch something else instead. Waiting for each region to have a dub before putting the series up is smart in this respect.

For example. I'm sure they want little kids watching LWA (they rated it Y-7), and the best way for kids to get into it is to have it up in the kids' native language.

I'm happy we'll be getting the first cour of Fate/Apocrypha faster than we got LWA though.

But, although I understand Netflix's reasons and will watch these anime on Netflix as they are added.... I will be using alternative means to watch Fate in the meantime.

Exactly this. It doesn't bother me to wait until they're finished with it either. It's not going to be skipped or anything and it isn't like we're waiting on a life saving kidney. Mostly I'm with the majority of fans as anime is about 95% of what I watch...the rest is a few regular TV shows or movies. But while waiting for Fate/Apocrypha to hit, there's still a plethora of series I'm going to be watching via streaming or buying the boxsets.

Like another commentor said, at least NF isn't running their anime model like Amazon & throwing up a secondary "channel" to pay for - which would ensure my immediate cancelation to be sure. I'm already paying NF & Hulu plus buying 99% of what I watch - only thing I don't buy is when I've caught a release on one of the streaming networks and learned it sucks a fat one. Otherwise, I buy and add to my shelves. (As both a collector and because I never want anime to die out, lol. So I support as much as I possibly can!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4