• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Made in Abyss

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I think it's worth noting the show's now on Hidive for people in the US and Canada as well. No announcement, it's just...shown up. Highly recommend this over Anime Strike.

I just checked and I live in the US, and none of Sentai's Strike anime catalog is on HiDive. Are they invisible to non-premium members? Are you sure there wasn't some region problem?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so many questions after episode 5! The introduction of Ozen made me super interested in the whistle grading system and how the White Whistles get their sobriquets. I hope there's an explanation other than "they choose what sounds cool/their fellows christen them after some character trait or achievement". If only white whistles can descend to the fifth layer, does that mean a descent to the fifth layer is the trial a black whistle undergoes to get the promotion? Is there a relation between what happens during that trial and the name the white whistle ends up with? If descent to the fifth layer is necessary to become a white whistle, and the number who've returned from the fifth layer can be counted on one hand, does that mean there's been less than six white whistles?

The comment about Ozen's "unrivaled physical strength" and thinking about Riko's eyes immediately got me fantasizing thatspoiler[maybe their sobriquets come from some kind of mutation or abyss-related trait that comes from descending to a certain depth and surviving. I think it's probably the simpler explanation though, since the theater performer in episode 2 enumerates Lyza's achievements in "annihilating" foreign cave raiders and monsters. Though the slide he projects does not look human and has Lyza's hair (though I guess that's probably just metaphor(?)). Assuming though that my speculation is close to the mark, I wonder if Habo's statement that white whistles can be used only by their "original owner" is a statement not about cave-raiding norms but about the literal physiology of White Whistles. Again the simpler explanation seems more likely, and now that we've seen Ozen's, it's clear that the ornamentation of the white whistles themselves is tailor-made to reflect the taste or (non-supernatural) traits of their owners.

The curse only manifests upon ascent, and the symptoms include "losing your humanity or death" if you're ascending from the sixth layer - the layer a descent to which by a white whistle is treated as their "last dive". But maybe your humanity is already lost after a certain depth, and it only becomes untenable when you, as a monster, try to exist outside of the abyss. This would gel nicely with the carnie's description of white whistles as "those who have surpassed their human limitations". The symptoms get worse the deeper you go - I'm guessing then that the curse is a product of the cave raider's physiology acclimating to the atmosphere or whatever of the abyss. As the raider ascends, their newly acclimated physiology is poorly suited to normal light and atmosphere (which is why Riko needs glasses to stave headaches, with crystal lenses presumably made from crystal sourced from the abyss). Basically, I'm guessing the deeper you go, the more powerful and less human you become, as you mutate to better survive the increasingly inhuman environment. Which makes a kind of mundane sense, in that you need to be more acclimated psychologically and better trained, which is what the whistle grading system is designed to ensure. This could also explain Riko's disturbing comfort with the prospect of certain death - she was born in the abyss, and "that which came from the abyss must return to it", so perhaps descent into it is only natural for her.
]

One more thing I'm confused/intrigued about - it's stated that information sent from the abyss by someone other than a white whistle is treated as hearsay, due to the possibility that the curse has driven them insane. But if the curse manifests upon ascent (as is stated in episode 2), why should it effect messages written by people still in the abyss? Ignoring that apparent inconsistency and assuming the "curse" can effect people who aren't ascending, does the trust placed in messages sent by white whistles imply that white whistles have some kind of greater immunity to the curse (presumably because they're acclimated to the abyss)?

Or, going by my previous explanation of the curse, perhaps the abyss does effect people who aren't ascending, in that they are slowly acclimated to their surroundings, which is a process that introduces the possibility of insanity. White whistles, being already acclimated, aren't susceptible to that aspect of the curse, and in exchange for their comfort with the abyss, endure harsher ascent symptoms and after a certain depth cannot leave it. This would still contradict, or at least expand, the definition of the curse offered in episode 2.

Anyway, even if all this is wrong, I'm really looking forward to the next episode, and seeing what's at the bottom especially. Ozen seems quite unfriendly, though I guess she's probably just mad that Lyza took Riko instead of the bell.

Last edited by 鏡 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:21 pm; edited 18 times in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
@LegitPancake It may have been an error on their part. I saw Love and Lies briefly on HIDIVE yesterday, which is in a similar situation, but it disappeared today so maybe their titles available in other regions briefly showed up in the US erroneously.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
Ah, so many questions after episode 5! The introduction of Ozen made me super interested in the whistle grading system and how the White Whistles get their sobriquets. I hope there's an explanation other than "they choose what sounds cool/their fellows christen them after some character trait or achievement".

The White Whistles are explained quite late in the storyline, I'm not too confident the adaptation will even reach that far (though I hope, there's a good wrapping point not too long afterwards...). Let's just say the price for those things is high...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Well that's tantalizing - I hope they are explained this season. If not, I hope a second season is announced, or I suppose I'll have to read the manga.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
And Best Girl makes her debut at the end.

Yay. Very Happy
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
Well that's tantalizing - I hope they are explained this season. If not, I hope a second season is announced, or I suppose I'll have to read the manga.

Everything I've seen indicates that the show isn't doing well in Japan, unfortunately, so unless some kind of miracle occurs with streaming or Blu-Ray sales, the show's future is uncertain, to say the least.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
CatSword wrote:
I think it's worth noting the show's now on Hidive for people in the US and Canada as well. No announcement, it's just...shown up. Highly recommend this over Anime Strike.

I just checked and I live in the US, and none of Sentai's Strike anime catalog is on HiDive. Are they invisible to non-premium members? Are you sure there wasn't some region problem?

I'm in Canada and I can confirm a bunch of previously Anime Strike only Sentai titles suddenly showed up on Hidive, including Made in Abyss. This is particularly awesome because, as an Amazon Prime member in Canada, the service has been terrible at releasing episodes on the days they are supposed to be released.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
鏡 wrote:

Everything I've seen indicates that the show isn't doing well in Japan, unfortunately, so unless some kind of miracle occurs with streaming or Blu-Ray sales, the show's future is uncertain, to say the least.

Like, I know this is rude, but ... are anime fans in Japan stupid??? I realize they are the primary audience, but they seem to often have terrible taste. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid wasn't popular and now Made in Abyss (which is clearly topping out as one of the most popular outside of Japan). I enjoy a good otaku bait show, but is that ALL people want?
DeadRed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:

One more thing I'm confused/intrigued about - it's stated that information sent from the abyss by someone other than a white whistle is treated as hearsay, due to the possibility that the curse has driven them insane. But if the curse manifests upon ascent (as is stated in episode 2), why should it effect messages written by people still in the abyss? Ignoring that apparent inconsistency and assuming the "curse" can effect people who aren't ascending, does the trust placed in messages sent by white whistles imply that white whistles have some kind of greater immunity to the curse (presumably because they're acclimated to the abyss)?

Or, going by my previous explanation of the curse, perhaps the abyss does effect people who aren't ascending, in that they are slowly acclimated to their surroundings, which is a process that introduces the possibility of insanity. White whistles, being already acclimated, aren't susceptible to that aspect of the curse, and in exchange for their comfort with the abyss, endure harsher ascent symptoms and after a certain depth cannot leave it. This would still contradict, or at least expand, the definition of the curse offered in episode 2.

From the map from episode 2, the sixth layer is very maze-like. Getting accidentally affected by ascent would be far easier in an area where you're not even sure how far up or even where you're going (Riko's star compass would be very helpful here). There's also another reason that I'm not sure will be covered this season (don't remember when it's mentioned).
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
鏡 wrote:

Where are you getting these indications? I'd like to look it up myself, but I don't really know where to look.
elior1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
Ragdollomega wrote:
James_Beckett wrote:
鏡 wrote:

Where are you getting these indications? I'd like to look it up myself, but I don't really know where to look.
there was many animes who got second season even if they had poor sales and didn't go well

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
DeadRed wrote:

From the map from episode 2, the sixth layer is very maze-like. Getting accidentally affected by ascent would be far easier in an area where you're not even sure how far up or even where you're going (Riko's star compass would be very helpful here). There's also another reason that I'm not sure will be covered this season (don't remember when it's mentioned).

Yeah, accidental ascent is something I hadn't even considered when I wrote that, which I realized after. Or even just a deliberate ascent that drives someone insane and results in them stopping and sending messages (though I don't think insanity is explicitly listed as a symptom in episode 2, it could just be that the severity of the other symptoms drives people insane). Though anyone below a white whistle shouldn't even be going below the fourth layer anyway.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:08 am Reply with quote
elior1 wrote:
there was many animes who got second season even if they had poor sales and didn't go well

That really doesn't answer my inquiry on where I can look this stuff up. This is more out of curiosity than anything.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
James_Beckett wrote:
鏡 wrote:

Like, I know this is rude, but ... are anime fans in Japan stupid??? I realize they are the primary audience, but they seem to often have terrible taste. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid wasn't popular and now Made in Abyss (which is clearly topping out as one of the most popular outside of Japan). I enjoy a good otaku bait show, but is that ALL people want?

I share your frustration. The trouble with being a Western fan is the knowledge that even when a title is popular outside of Japan, that means virtually nothing if the friggin' otaku whose "taste" controls the industry aren't onboard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 29