• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: DARLING in the FRANXX

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hershey's

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
What do you find not-good about A-1's work? To me, they are too varied in quality and style due to their heavily freelance nature to make blanket statements about the studio's work as a whole

I have concluded that saying that A-1 Pictures is an untrustworthy studio has become a hip thing to say. In my experience they have done solid work most of the time. Some of my all time favorite shows (Your Lie in April, Anohana, From the New World, Sound of the Sky) were animated by A-1.

Its not at all. A-1 Pictures is notorious for their fluctuating quality and bad adaptations. Pretty much most of their shows have had some sort of production issues one way or another even From the New World was a complete mess production wise and got by due to the strength of its source of material which they also screwed up in some instances. Though I wouldn't call Your Lie in April or Anohana good to begin with so that's really your problem.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
Cab329 wrote:
I'm putting this on my "Sit and wait" list. In other words, I'll wait a few weeks without watching new episodes and just watch comments in the mean time.

Tempted to do the same. Very possible all this set up will pay off, but if it doesn't or they botch it, it'll be really embarrassing if they end up making a second De:vadasy.

I mean, it'll be really, really embarrassing if it is a second De:vadasy. For the five of us out there who remember De:vadasy. (Don't watch De:vadasy)

This also has some of the most super blatant and high amount of lifting of Evangelion imagery in a while, which almost seems like they're getting too big for their britches - if you're gonna go and be that blatant about it, you damn well better deliver something worthwhile by the end. (Episode 2 also seems like it's referencing Gunbuster episode 1, but that seems more like fannish tribute, as opposed to the other constant borrowing of visual cues from Eva)

Reasons to be cautious, reasons to be optimistic. I'll be hoping for the best.
Hershey's

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:33 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

What do you find not-good about A-1's work? To me, they are too varied in quality and style due to their heavily freelance nature to make blanket statements about the studio's work as a whole, beyond things handled by the studio itself, like planning - which has been a concern with the studio and potentially even this work specifically, since it is airing earlier than originally scheduled.

They're not consistent from a production standpoint because the staff works at a rotation rather than just one group of people so as a result most of their original works seem to fall apart entirely and their adaptations tend to be horribly rushed or not very good because they drag people just wanting to get a check so they turn in subpar work and move on. But I guess because they did one thing you liked years ago you can ignore their entire body of work. Kinema Citrus can make one anime that gets the attention of millions of people in one year just by giving a shit while A-1 can makes several new works per season that are forgotten or ignored the instant they're over.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:40 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
(Don't watch De:vadasy)

"Hey... remember that scene in Evangelion where Misato kisses Shinji, tells him it's a 'grown-up kiss', and says he'll get more later after he comes back from battle?"
"Yeah?"
"Remember how the context for that scene was that she was spoiler[dying of a gunshot wound and didn't have much time left] and therefore the whole scene was basically a last-ditch desperation move to get him in the damn robot before she spoiler[bleeds out and dies]?"
"Yeah?"
"What if we did that, but instead of all the nuance we make her a cougar school nurse who just really wants to bone a 14 year old boy?"

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:44 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

"Hey, remember that scene in Evangelion where Misato kisses Shinji, tells him it's a 'grown-up kiss', and says he'll get more later after he comes back from battle?"
"Yeah?"
"Remember how the context for that scene was that she was spoiler[dying of a gunshot wound and didn't have much time left] and therefore the whole scene was basically a last-ditch desperation move to get him in the damn robot before she spoiler[bleeds out and dies]?"
"Yeah?"
"What if we did that, but instead of all the nuance we make her a cougar school nurse who just really wants to bone a 14 year old boy?"

Oh so Raxhephon?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Oh so Raxhephon?

If Rahxephon was made by the same studio that did Night Shift Nurses, sure!
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
If Rahxephon was made by the same studio that did Night Shift Nurses, sure!

Oh stop, you'll accidentally make it sound like an interesting specimen rather than a soul-sucking waste of time in which barely anything actually happens made by people who are clearly both incompetent and don't care.
Hershey's

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:07 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
(Don't watch De:vadasy).

Thank you! That's what this show reminded me so much of and that's why I'm so put off by it. I kept thinking it was Platinumhugen Ordian for some reason.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:10 am Reply with quote
It's extremely frustrating seeing how many people seem hellbent on comparing this to eva. Apart from a few visual references (long escalator rides, Hiro "getting in the damn robot"), the show really does not feel eva-ish at all. In terms of world-building and overall tone, it feels much more indebted to Diebuster, and in terms of the "robots + teenage sexual awakening" dynamic, it feels like a successor to Star Driver. Even the larger cast and their more open interactions is practically anathema to Eva's dominant themes (the Hedgehog dilemma and how almost all its characters lacked basic human connection).

This kind of false attribution is always incredibly frustrating, because it badly warps perception of a show. If people keep looking for Eva references and expect and Eva story development, they'll be constantly baffled as to why the plot doesn't develop as they expect it to (I have similar gripes for people comparing series to Madoka that clearly arose from other subgenres, like Symphogear (Nanoha), and Wixoss (which is closer to Fate than Madoka)). It's like calling Star Wars a western, it's really only helpful as a sales pitch to producers, and does nothing to help understanding of the content of the show itself.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
Hershey's wrote:
They're not consistent from a production standpoint because the staff works at a rotation rather than just one group of people so as a result most of their original works seem to fall apart entirely and their adaptations tend to be horribly rushed or not very good because they drag people just wanting to get a check so they turn in subpar work and move on. But I guess because they did one thing you liked years ago you can ignore their entire body of work. Kinema Citrus can make one anime that gets the attention of millions of people in one year just by giving a shit while A-1 can makes several new works per season that are forgotten or ignored the instant they're over.

No, it's because I have seen nearly all of their output that I say what I have said about A-1. You are free to disagree, but you seem to be in the minority on Anohana and Your Lie in April, going by their ratings on every English speaking anime rating site. A-1 has had plenty of other well produced shows over the years, such as the ones mentioned by others here and my personal favorite of their work, Space Brothers. Just last year, they got the attention of the sakuga community with Apocrypha, especially episode 22, and Saekano's second season was fairly well regarded by fans and its reviewer on this site. Whatever else you say about Eromanga-sensei, it got as good an adaptation in every regard as it could hope for and perhaps better than the material deserved. Franxx's director previously directed the Idolm@ster, which is one of the most well regarded idol shows from a production and animaton standpoint, at A-1, and so far production wise, Franxx is likewise one of A-1's better works. Whether the story will match that remains to be seen though. Certainly in recent years, their planning has been a concern, but with the right staff, A-1 are perfectly capable of putting out good work. I don't want to turn this into a discussion of the studio itself, so I'll leave it at that.
Hershey's

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote
VerQuality wrote:
It's extremely frustrating seeing how many people seem hellbent on comparing this to eva. Apart from a few visual references (long escalator rides, Hiro "getting in the damn robot"), the show really does not feel eva-ish at all. In terms of world-building and overall tone, it feels much more indebted to Diebuster, and in terms of the "robots + teenage sexual awakening" dynamic, it feels like a successor to Star Driver. Even the larger cast and their more open interactions is practically anathema to Eva's dominant themes (the Hedgehog dilemma and how almost all its characters lacked basic human connection).

Could be the launch sequence in the first episode, the "move move move" scene, or the generally dreary atmosphere and mostly serious tone complete with literary quotes that gets offset by comedic interludes and cheap fanservice? Yeah this wears Eva like a glove only replace motherhood with sexual intercourse. Diebuster and Star Driver were about the period between adolescence and adulthood and what happens when you don't appreciate that little time you have inbetween before its time to grow up and venture into the real world than it was about sexual awakening they were also much more cheerful and carefree in tone. Yes the SYMBOLISM in those shows are also fairly blatant (The robots are in plastic boxes. The breaking of the seal is the equivalent of the breaking of a hymen) but they weren't entirely about sex to the point where every other shot is a detailed picture of one of the female characters butts and crotch and of course the whole pilot set up is a bit too on the nose though honestly I'm just holding out for the reveal that 02 is the pitcher and Hiro is the catcher to further complicate things and drive home what this show is trying to say.
Hershey's

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

No, it's because I have seen nearly all of their output that I say what I have said about A-1.

So you basically blatantly ignore every instance of bad animation and art that all their shows have? Or the fact that people comment on them throughout the entire English speaking community?
Quote:

You are free to disagree, but you seem to be in the minority on Anohana and Your Lie in April, going by their ratings on every English speaking anime rating site.

And that's usually a sign that you need other to validate your own opinion

Quote:
A-1 has had plenty of other well produced shows over the years, such as the ones mentioned by others here and my personal favorite of their work, Space Brothers.

Space Brothers is far from what I would call a well-produced show
Quote:
Just last year, they got the attention of the sakuga community with Apocrypha, especially episode 22,

Apocrypha got heavily criticized for its animation quality throughout its entire run and even the episode the sakuga community praised was lauded over by fans for being a complete mess on the visual standpoint. Apcorypha also go criticized for being a poor adaptation of an already poor source of material from Fate fans as well and is consider one of the worst iterations of the franchise even below DEEN's UBW adaptation. You couldn't have picked a worse example to defend A-1.

Quote:
Saekano's second season was fairly well regarded by fans and its reviewer on this site.

It was also largely forgotten and didn't make any end of the year lists. Fans will eat anything up if it meets the bare minimum requirement especially for something like Saekano

Quote:
Whatever else you say about Eromanga-sensei, it got as good an adaptation in every regard as it could hope for and perhaps better than the material deserved.

Fans of the source of material even complained about how that was handled as well.

Quote:
Franxx's director previously directed the Idolm@ster, which is one of the most well regarded idol shows from a production and animaton standpoint, at A-1, and so far production wise, Franxx is likewise one of A-1's better works.

Franxx's entire aesthetic and art direction is nowhere near as lavish or well done as Idolm@ster for starters in fact that seems to be the most opinions I've seen online was how uninspiring the show looks for what is essentially an action mecha show being co-produced by Trigger, Animation wise there's no standouts and even in the second episode there was a fair share of low quality cuts and sequences of bad animation already. For an A-1 Production this early on it feel incredibly restrained.

Quote:
Whether the story will match that remains to be seen though. Certainly in recent years, their planning has been a concern, but with the right staff, A-1 are perfectly capable of putting out good work. I don't want to turn this into a discussion of the studio itself, so I'll leave it at that.

And I disagree. They've been in this business for over 10 years now and all their shows seem to come with the same problems with a few good eggs popping up here and then. Its easy to ignore their bad output because they're just that unimpressive that they can't make a memorable bad anime as well.

Last edited by Hershey's on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
VerQuality wrote:

This kind of false attribution is always incredibly frustrating, because it badly warps perception of a show. If people keep looking for Eva references and expect and Eva story development, they'll be constantly baffled as to why the plot doesn't develop as they expect it to (I have similar gripes for people comparing series to Madoka that clearly arose from other subgenres, like Symphogear (Nanoha), and Wixoss (which is closer to Fate than Madoka)). It's like calling Star Wars a western, it's really only helpful as a sales pitch to producers, and does nothing to help understanding of the content of the show itself.

It's not just that. They take a lot of shots from rather iconic Eva scenes. The moment with the protagonist in the cockpit shot in the same angle as an iconic Shinji scene, the meeting of the rulers of society in a circle in a strange room, the protagonist piloting for the first time after seeing a badly injured girl while he's about to leave the place, his repeating of "I won't run", the aforementioned escalator scene, the Jian metaphor working in the same way as the Hedgehog's dilemma, his feelings of non-belonging, the feral look of the Berserker Strelizia which seems very reminiscent of spoiler[berserker Unit-02 in 3.3]. Even the OP seems to take cues from Eva's OP with the quick cuts and enigmatic text. I'm sure people more savvy than I can see even more parallels but those suffice to demonstrate that, yes, they are going to borrow concepts from Evangelion and they seem very aware that such a comparison may be made. Intentionally borrowing ideas and themes from other works isn't fundamentally bad. It can actually be good. What remains to be seem is wether or not this series will be able to take those ideas and themes and spin them in a way that adds meaning or if will simply come down to me-see-me-do.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
VerQuality wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I also have issues with the comparisons between Evangelion and DARLING in the FRANKXX, but I have been unable to articulate it in a succinct way.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
Hershey's wrote:
Franxx's entire aesthetic and art direction is nowhere near as lavish or well done as Idolm@ster for starters in fact that seems to be the most opinions I've seen online was how uninspiring the show looks for what is essentially an action mecha show being co-produced by Trigger, Animation wise there's no standouts and even in the second episode there was a fair share of low quality cuts and sequences of bad animation already. For an A-1 Production this early on it feel incredibly restrained.

I respectfully disagree that there have not been any animation highlights in the first or second episodes, and with your opinion of A-1. As I mentioned earlier, this is not a discussion on the studio itself, so I will not be discussing it further. You are free to have your opinion of the studio but I urge you to show the same respect to those who have a (marginally) higher opinion of the studio and not dismiss them out of hand.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 124