• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Restarts Manga Licensing With Konohana Kitan, Hanger, Futaribeya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Tokyopop is like a bad boyfriend. They took advantage of a young, naïve fanbase (and even worse, many young, naïve comic artists!) back when we didn't know any better and were grateful for any attention, no matter how cheap. They broke promises, licenses and contracts. They released inferior products, promised to improve and never did. Then they subjected us all to the messiest break up in the manga biz by going bankrupt and leaving the fate of many beloved series of manga and light novels up in the air.

Now they think they can come crawling back as if nothing ever happened?! It's not going to be that easy. I'm glad there's a healthy amount of skepticism here.

I think this is the best, most accurate analogy to Tokyopop that I've seen. Kudos!
NefCanuck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Thing is that TokyoPop at one point had the English manga industry at their command and proceeded to flush it down the crapper with extreme prejudice.

I’m looking at the heyday of titles like Ai Yori Aoshi, a title that probably made TokyoPop more money over its run than most of the later fed I they shoveled out (“Because I’m The Angel” anyone?)

Their abrupt shutdown left me with many unfinished titles and I’ll be damned if they'll get any more of my money unless it’s for a complete series Mad

NefCanuck
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
I guess with rumors that DMP is on the verge of bankruptcy, Tokyopop needed to come back and fill the void of incompetent manga publisher.

Where’d you hear that?
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
So, how about that OEL Manga publishing bit? I've been under a rock since 2008 and I was somewhat away from the collapse of Borders and Tokyopop. That's a curious bit from me, because I was hoping something would come out of it.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:55 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
No thanks, Tokyopop. You burned me once, don't think you can win over people again.

I'll never forget when you told Initial D fans who hated your translation that "maybe we should pack white out and sharpies in with every volume" and you almost changed Takumi's occupation to pizza delivery. Don't think you can weasel your way back into the market and get away with it.

Relative newbie to anime (particularly coming in long after companies like Tokyopop and ADV left the business), what is this about?!
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:59 am Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
Relative newbie to anime (particularly coming in long after companies like Tokyopop and ADV left the business), what is this about?!

ZeetherKID77 is referring to the open letter to the English-language anime and manga fan community that Tokyopop asked ANN to post back in 2002:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2002-07-13/tokyopop-open-letter-regarding-initial-d
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
To those that have responded, what is 1 finished manga series* that had a great translation for the time it was released? I say that because now there might have been a re-translated version licensed by a company like Viz Media or Yen Press. It could even be a lesser-known manga title.

*this includes any manga spin-off or sequel series that may have been licensed by TP.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:04 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
To those that have responded, what is 1 finished manga series* that had a great translation for the time it was released? I say that because now there might have been a re-translated version licensed by a company like Viz Media or Yen Press. It could even be a lesser-known manga title.

I think most of Tokyopop's CLAMP titles seemed like they were handled pretty well. I still never bothered to get the Dark Horse manga release of Cardcaptor Sakura because I'm satisfied with the Tokyopop release and I like the nice boxset they included the unflipped manga in. But I'm disappointed to see Tokyopop licensed Konohana Kitan as I enjoyed the anime a lot and I stopped supporting Tokyopop a long time ago when I first heard about all their problems.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:08 am Reply with quote
wow so man comments jeez.

Didn't think these mangas were known enough to be honest
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:04 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Calico wrote:
I guess with rumors that DMP is on the verge of bankruptcy, Tokyopop needed to come back and fill the void of incompetent manga publisher.

Where’d you hear that?

I've not seen much besides coming across @SPD4649's tweets, as I follow @to_aru_oni on Twitter. They also pointed out DMP's eManga site has no upcoming releases:
https://www.emanga.com/upcoming

On TP, while I wasn't collecting manga when they were around the first time, I feel like I've read and seen enough comments about them to steer clear for now. Though, they do hold a place in my heart, as a few years back I was able to get NG Life on sale from Rightstuf for super cheap. And, that series is one of my favourites.
asckj1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:49 am Reply with quote
If tokyopop comes back into the manga publishing business I wonder if they would release Shinobi Life, Happy Cafe and Dazzle manga completely.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:44 am Reply with quote
Well, I can't say that I'm exactly happy about this. IMHO, the only value that Tokyopop has at this point is if they can finish series that they dropped before, and I'd be very surprised if they had any of those licenses left. Even ignoring any issues that anyone might have with how they handled the content they released, Tokypop has proven themselves completely untrustworthy as far as actually finishing anything goes. It seems like they've kind of sort of come back multiple times to do something and then disappear again, and they're clearly run by an egocentric nutcase. So, I really see no upside to this. It's not like the other publishers are perfect, but at this point, any time that Tokypop licenses a series instead of another publisher, it's a reason to be unhappy. Maybe they'll provide value by releasing stuff that no one else would have, but that possibility sure isn't enough for me to want them around or to be happy when they get a series I want to read.

I just hope that they don't license anything that I actually care about (fortunately, I don't care about any of the titles announced here).

Agent355 wrote:
Tokyopop is like a bad boyfriend. They took advantage of a young, naïve fanbase (and even worse, many young, naïve comic artists!) back when we didn't know any better and were grateful for any attention, no matter how cheap. They broke promises, licenses and contracts. They released inferior products, promised to improve and never did. Then they subjected us all to the messiest break up in the manga biz by going bankrupt and leaving the fate of many beloved series of manga and light novels up in the air.

Now they think they can come crawling back as if nothing ever happened?! It's not going to be that easy. I'm glad there's a healthy amount of skepticism here.

LOL. That analogy seems nigh on perfect.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Sh!t. I bet they’ll fold before any series even gets halfway done.

That's not even the real risk IMHO. It's not like they folded previously when they dropped everything in the mud and ran away. They've been alive this whole time - just not doing much useful. As I understand it, they did have some financial problems but not of the sort that they had to close up shop before. It was just Stu deciding that he didn't want to continue what they were doing. And he could decide the same again and just drop any series they're releasing.

It would be one thing if Tokypop were run by a sane person who tried his best to run a company in a profitable manner and produce products that pleased their customers so they would come back for more, but things went badly, so they went out of business. It's quite another case when it's run by someone like an egocentric nutjob like Stu Levy.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

ZeetherKID77 is referring to the open letter to the English-language anime and manga fan community that Tokyopop asked ANN to post back in 2002:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2002-07-13/tokyopop-open-letter-regarding-initial-d

WOW! That is one Hell of a dick move!
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
for those who don't remember I think it's important to point out that when Tokyopop shut down it did so with no warning and only Stu Levy and his direct underling knowing it was going to happen, the rest of the staff had no warning and were left hanging. (thankfully that wasn't too many people as he'd started focusing on using freelancers and let most of his dedicated staff go before this happened, but there were still multiple people suddenly left without a job.) we're talking so little warning that the Tokyopop website indicated it was getting interesting new updates soon (or something like that). he also made a comment after the sudden shutdown that was essentially saying people who were still buying physical copied of printed media were morons, thus directly insulting the people who were buying the manga Tokyopop was releasing.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
asckj1 wrote:
If tokyopop comes back into the manga publishing business I wonder if they would release Shinobi Life, Happy Cafe and Dazzle manga completely.

Dazzle is owned now by a parent company of Kodansha, so there's no chance they would continue it.

Honestly, anyone who hopes they will continue/license ______ series they formerly had should cast those hopes away, because I guarantee none of those will be licensed again by them and it'd be better to suggest them to other, more reliable publishers instead.

I'm not even surprised Levy and his cronies were the only ones who knew about the shutdown either, considering how their OEL clients were treated like dirt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6