• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kim Kardashian Says Darling in the Franxx's Zero Two Inspired Her Hair

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
This is cool!

Now I wonder...does she like dub or sub? ;p
Raikuro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
It's strange that the star of a TV show about cute girls doing nothing would draw so much ire from anime fans. Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
It's strange that the star of a TV show about cute girls doing nothing would draw so much ire from anime fans. Laughing

Heh, I never thought of it that way.

Then again, they might not be "cute" enough for these people. After all, standards are quite different between Japan (and the Japanophiles) and your average American.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:22 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, I don't think anyone watching cute girl anime would consider the Kardashians to be "cute" or endearing in any way.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:51 am Reply with quote
Chroma wrote:
This is exactly what I'm against, though. Every hobby I've been in that's become a "global medium enjoyed by everyone" has only declined in quality after becoming so popular.

There's actually a reason for this. When something becomes popular it has to conform and be "for everyone" and that means the unique elements that made the madium what it is are replaced with mainstream accepted garbage. This is why video games and comic books suffered gamergate and comicgate; fans realized there was a massive push to change their hobby, the way it is made and the way it can be played and they fought back. Don't be surprised when anime hits mainstream if news outlet start talking about "everything wrong with the medium that needs to change so it can for everyone" and when fans finally realize what being "mainstream" really means for the hobby, they will be attacked by the media for being against progress and wanting anime to remain "a white boys club". Its what happened with video games and comics, you were either in favor of discarding everything the mainstream media didn't like about your hobby, or you were "a hateful, sexist nerd and a troll".
Sasshi106

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:43 am Reply with quote
Very rarely do I get involved in discussions online but I feel the need to throw my two cents in here.

People have brought up very good points, my biggest worry is the fact that Kim just by her very nature doesn't seem like a genuine person and is maybe trying to expand her audience to stay relevant thus using anime and Franxx has been blowing up.

I hold this in the same way when bad adaptations of anime come out just to make a quick buck.

Think what the "gate keeper" people are trying to say, how I see it anyway is us on the internet have no voice. We can't influence stuff too much. Kim can, and can definitely make the corporate fat cats make some terrible decisions. Hope we don't get a live action Darling in the Franxx, as an example. Please god no.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
OMG someone I don't like [who I've never met and has never done anything to me to impact me in any way, shape, or form] likes something that I like?!?!? Woe is me.

Spoken like a true 13-year old. I think it's funny that some of you all have actually come up with conspiracy theories about how the anime industry is going to be destroyed because some rich 20 year old saw a character with pink hair and died her hair pink.

Almost like this is merely step 1 in a process to get Kim Kardashian on every production committee so she has a real tangible impact on literally all anime going forward or that like the industry as a whole is going to abandon everything it holds dear to exclusively produce the type of anime that will make two year old rich girls dye their hair and retweet production art.

Get over it. People can like stuff that you also like. You nor the thing you like is that special. You were never the only person to like it and it was never the case that only people like you can enjoy it.
MadHi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:08 am Reply with quote
It's really insulting that she's famous enough to make headlines in anything she involves herself in. 'I like anime' ANN or any other anime news medium must let us know. Not that I'm criticizing, I'm sure there's a bunch of people petty enough to believe praise from any celebrity is instant validation for anime, but I wish people weren't that shallow to the point where trivial crap like this is still guaranteed clicks. Doesn't change the fact that she's glorified nobody.

I don't care if Keanu Reeves likes anime, I wouldn't try to validate watching anime to a bunch of jocky twits by bringing it to their attention. Besides, John Wick is a poor man's Rambo anyway.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Spoken like a true 13-year old. I think it's funny that some of you all have actually come up with conspiracy theories about how the anime industry is going to be destroyed because some rich 20 year old saw a character with pink hair and died her hair pink.

Almost like this is merely step 1 in a process to get Kim Kardashian on every production committee so she has a real tangible impact on literally all anime going forward or that like the industry as a whole is going to abandon everything it holds dear to exclusively produce the type of anime that will make two year old rich girls dye their hair and retweet production art.

Get over it. People can like stuff that you also like. You nor the thing you like is that special. You were never the only person to like it and it was never the case that only people like you can enjoy it.

Nah, I'd say it's more like being a hipster. Hipsters inherently dislike anything that's popular and get alarmed if something they like becomes popular or if someone in the mainstream likes something they do. There's also a double standard going on here (and tends to happen among western fans of anime and manga), which I'll get into more detail below:

MadHi wrote:
It's really insulting that she's famous enough to make headlines in anything she involves herself in. 'I like anime' ANN or any other anime news medium must let us know. Not that I'm criticizing, I'm sure there's a bunch of people petty enough to believe praise from any celebrity is instant validation for anime, but I wish people weren't that shallow to the point where trivial crap like this is still guaranteed clicks. Doesn't change the fact that she's glorified nobody.

I don't care if Keanu Reeves likes anime, I wouldn't try to validate watching anime to a bunch of jocky twits by bringing it to their attention. Besides, John Wick is a poor man's Rambo anyway.

The thing is that people like Kim Kardashian and Keanu Reeves have fans, and not as in fans of things they've acted in, but fans of the celebrities themselves. It's a basic part of celebrity culture. Of course they'll guarantee clicks. Japan is no different. Japan has the very same thing going on, in which actors, musicians, and other performers get fans and savvy businesspeople will market them directly.

It's not quite the same, but it's still a star system, and they ALSO go around saying how great certain things are whose production didn't involve them at all. Those endorsements also get covered here on ANN, but rarely are people quite as cynical with them as they are with Hollywood celebrities. (Or anything regarding Japan versus western culture. It's as if some people cannot accept that the Japanese entertainment industry is NOT superior to all other entertainment industries in every way.) All in all, any time any mention of anyone involved in Hollywood is mentioned on ANN, no matter how benign, there will be people frothing at the mouth in rage (with the exceptions of Guillermo del Toro and Samuel L. Jackson, it seems), whereas Japanese actors, directors, writers, and such get a free pass.

I mean, I get it. Some of you guys vastly prefer the output of Japan over that of the United States. But the people who work there have their own things they genuinely enjoy too. Not everything they do is part of some conspiracy to take over the anime business.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Some of ya'll seriously sound like Dale Gribble.

It's extremely embarrassing.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Not everything they do is part of some conspiracy to take over the anime business.
I doubt that anyone thinks that Kim Kardashian is trying to change anime and the issue is that people are worried about the politically correct crowd that try to infect anything that becomes popular. Ironically the people who shout loudest about tolerance are the least tolerant when it comes to entertainment that has elements that they dislike. That is why cisgender, heteronormative, male gaze, patriarchal, and other such terms are starting to be used to describe anime. Strange as it may sound but most anime fans like anime for what it is.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I doubt that anyone thinks that Kim Kardashian is trying to change anime and the issue is that people are worried about the politically correct crowd that try to infect anything that becomes popular. Ironically the people who shout loudest about tolerance are the least tolerant when it comes to entertainment that has elements that they dislike. That is why cisgender, heteronormative, male gaze, patriarchal, and other such terms are starting to be used to describe anime. Strange as it may sound but most anime fans like anime for what it is.

In this case though, the worry seems to be over merely that Kim Kardashian has made an anime reference. It has nothing to do with political correctess or anything like that, and simply that she decided to change her hairstyle to that of this character. Nothing more, nothing less. (Unless there's something about Zero Two's hair that's political that I'm not aware of.)
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
In this case though, the worry seems to be over merely that Kim Kardashian has made an anime reference. It has nothing to do with political correctess or anything like that

Spot on. There's only one or two people thinking in terms of political rhetoric. And to be honest, it's the same one or two people who cast everything in terms of that narrow view.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:37 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
In this case though, the worry seems to be over merely that Kim Kardashian has made an anime reference. It has nothing to do with political correctess or anything like that, and simply that she decided to change her hairstyle to that of this character. Nothing more, nothing less. (Unless there's something about Zero Two's hair that's political that I'm not aware of.)
There is a small percentage of people that do like the allure of something that is niche but for most people the issue isn't with popularity but the ideological conformity that tends to come with it. Also based on what I have seen on Twitter there are a lot of people that would change Darling in the Franxx if they had the power to do so.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Chroma wrote:
I just want a hobby that doesn't end up getting name-dropped by celebrities

You do realise celebrities are humans with interests too, right?

She's married to a big weeb so I don't see where all this shock is coming from. Sure she might be kinda vapid and airheaded, but contrary to popular belief, you don't need some mega evolved space brain to understand anime lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5