• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Megalobox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
If at least Aragaki was reported to be MIA - then I'd perhaps buy the show's claim that Nanbu gave up on him instead of looking for him. But he was a soldier who was reported to have died in battle, what reason would Nanbu have to doubt this information?
As it is, I don't think the show offered a good, believable reason as to why Aragaki was justified in blaming Nanbu.

They didn't give a believable reason because he wasn't justified, and that wasn't the writers' position. I am just not getting why you guys think the show was saying he was. Have you never had a setback in your life where you reacted with less than perfect rationality and legitimacy? I think the writers assume that everyone has had such moments and will recognize that Aragaki is having one too. Maybe they overestimated people's sheltered lives or capacity for introspection and empathy?

As for Nanbu's guilt, sure, that's also unreasonable - he had no reason to doubt Aragaki was dead. But often times when people are missing or kidnapped and presumed dead by the authorities, their families refuse to accept it, and sometimes are proved right. Families who do accept it and move on, and then are proved wrong, feel terrible guilt over giving up (especially having heard stories where families never did), as if they "should have known" their loved one was alive. Guilt is very often not rational.

Part of Nanbu's sense of guilt also had to do with his optimistic send-off to Aragaki, assuring him that everything would be fine, and he'd be waiting. He felt guilty for being wrong about everything being fine, even though it was entirely out of his hands. It's the flip side of people who feel guilty when their last words to someone were spoken in anger during an argument, even though that had nothing to do with the person's death.

hattori300 wrote:
...the show still goes with the idea that this conflict is justified for some reason.

Again, how exactly does the series express the belief that Aragaki is justified in his blaming Nanbu? Nanbu has certainly bought into that idea (see above), but that doesn't mean the writers have.

hattori300 wrote:
(didn't he almost kill every other opponent who faced him? What happened to that built up rage against Joe? Now he suddently isnt the bad guy and we got fooled thinking he was out for blood? Ok then.).

I think James explained that pretty well: "Aragaki felt that he was beyond saving, and it took him until this fight with Joe to realize that merciless victory was not his path to redemption." It was built up rage against everyone, and Joe was just a symbol of his particular rage against Nanbu. Joe made him realize that beating his opponents to a bloody pulp for no reason was pointless, as was blaming others for his situation, instead of just fighting the opponent in front of him for his own victory rather than out of impotent rage at someone else.

James wrote:
Even a couple of wonky cuts can't dispel the gravity that lands with every single blow the fighters share.

Actually, that was the one thing that felt lacking in this episode to me. I couldn't decide if it was a lapse in animation, or an expression of their fatigue, but the blows that landed seemed pretty weak, compared to the explosive hits in previous episodes. Still not sure how to feel about it. Smile

I was wondering earlier where Joe was going to get gear for Megalonia, and I think we just got the answer to that. I'll be surprised if they don't take advantage of it, and disappointed if he never fights with gear.
hattori300

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Again, how exactly does the series express the belief that Aragaki is justified in his blaming Nanbu? Nanbu has certainly bought into that idea (see above), but that doesn't mean the writers have.

Through the way the show employs gravitas and importance to the subject matter, utilizing the tools of the medium such as shot composition, musical score, etc.
This is stuff that is really hard to explain, at least for me.
Even though the actions of both Aragaki and Nanbu are nonsensical, the show doesnt establish it being that way, not enough. It goes along with their drama and it wants us to be invested in it as if it made sense.
Thats the problem. It would have been interesting if the show clearly presented Aragaki as being completely unreasonable and decided to explore that state of mind, but it doesnt. Joe is the only one who confronts Aragaki about this, but then that plot point is immediately dropped.
Stuff like that could have easily been solved by having Nanbu confront Aragaki and calling on his bullshit, but still feeling some sort of guilt inside for reasons he himself cant explain. Solved.
Like someone said here before, dont expect the audience to read in between the lines if you cant even write the lines themselves.
Imagine it like this: you decide to make a story about boredom. Someone criticizes your story for being boring. You tell them thats the point.
That doesnt work. The idea has to come naturally through your talent and skill, otherwise its forced.
Same with Megalobox. You cant excuse the drama not making sense as being the point, because the show (at least for me) hasn't made me understand how Aragaki managed to reach to such conclusions.
Hope that isnt too confusing, but I bet on it being.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

I think James explained that pretty well: "Aragaki felt that he was beyond saving, and it took him until this fight with Joe to realize that merciless victory was not his path to redemption." It was built up rage against everyone, and Joe was just a symbol of his particular rage against Nanbu. Joe made him realize that beating his opponents to a bloody pulp for no reason was pointless, as was blaming others for his situation, instead of just fighting the opponent in front of him for his own victory rather than out of impotent rage at someone else.

Yeah, I got all of that, but that wasnt my criticism.
Lets go point by point then.
1.Aragaki brutally defeats every opponent before Joe.
2.Aragaki says he will destroy Joe too.
3.Aragaki goes straight for the KO for like 3 times in the match with Joe.
4.Suddently Aragaki shows restraint.
5.Joe realizes he isnt going for blood
6.Aragaki forfeits

My criticism is the transition to point 4.

"Joe made him realize that beating his opponents to a bloody pulp for no reason was pointless, as was blaming others for his situation, instead of just fighting the opponent in front of him for his own victory rather than out of impotent rage at someone else"

When exactly does this happen? Cause my understanding was that Aragaki came into this match either with a thirst for blood or with his mind already at peace, one or the other.
But what exactly did Joe "show" him to warrant that change? And when did it happen? Was it when Joe kept getting his ass knocked out? Was it when he got up for the 3rd time? And why are those actions relevant to Aragaki? What made him change, if he did change at all?
The first moment Aragaki shows restraint is right at the beginning of the ep, before Joe has any attempt at redeeming him. I see this as the show telling me he isnt a bad guy after all, and that we made a premature judgement. But what am I supposed to do with the information of the guys he sent to hospital then? Am I supposed to sweep it aside and assume it was just shock value? A cheap way of fooling me into believing Aragaki is a bad dude? Cause he did almost kill them after all, what did Joe show him to make him realize he was wrong?
Dont you think it would be important to understand exactly at what point Aragaki had his change of heart, instead of assuming he came into the ring already with the intention of catharsis, or assuming that Joe being a good boxer was enough to change him? Dont you think it would have been the right call to give emphasis to the qualities Aragaki sees in Joe that made such a change, especially since Joe is the main character?

See, this is exactly the same as the other issues I have been bringing up in this forum discussion.
The writing isnt competent enough to give me the required information I need to go along with the characters' struggle.
What you did was fill in the gaps, not because the writers wanted you to, but because the writers didn't give you that necessary information.
You might say that filling the gaps is a requirement of the viewer to enjoy a good story without too much hand holding, but I see it as bad writing in this specific case.
I have seen and read no shortage of ambiguous movies, shows and books that have little care for the viewer's understanding, so enjoying a story that doesnt spoon feed me isnt an issue for me. But you have to give me at least some sort of guideline to make me care.
Its like a bad Zelda Timeline theory, where you have to assume a bunch of stuff without any evidence inbetween to make it actually work. Narrative Coherence is key to all good stories.
I dont expect to change opinions here, but hopefully you can understand a bit better where im coming from.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:25 am Reply with quote
hattori300 wrote:
meiam wrote:

So, let's just assume that you buy into Aragaki side of the story (as the reviewer clearly does), how was Joe equally worthy of sympathy???

Aragaki: Former soldier who lost his legs and along it his carer as a boxer, almost causing him to commit suicide. Is now fighting to prove he can still do it in his conditions and prove to his former trainer that he shouldn't have been abandoned (again, assuming you buy this part of the story 100%). Boxing literally saved his life.

Joe: Is really bored and really want to fight the champion... yep that's it, that's all of Joe backstory and personality right there.

You telling me these two person equally deserves sympathy? You have a low bar and low ceiling for sympathy.

Its incredible how much Joe hasn't earned his place in the tournament (from a story and character perspective).

Okay seriously, its this that makes me doubt you are actually watching the show.

Its clear from the start that Joe is an orphan who has nothing, not even a name. He is stuck doing dive fights as the only way to make ends meet & is clearly dissatisfied by his lot in life. Its here that he seeks to prove himself, that he's not some worthless nobody, but a real person who can go the distance. Its the classic underdog story ala Rocky. Its then where meeting Yuri reignited the spark of passion within himself as he almost lost himself to despair & that's where he decided once & for all that he's not gonna be wasting his life doing dive fights anymore. The fact the world champ himself acknowledged his strength is the first start to his journey. Its there Nanbu out of a combination of desperation & inspiration decides to help Joe go the distance & prove he is a somebody.

I'm not saying Joe is some amazing ultra-written-ed character but seriously you are now deliberately misrepresenting facts just to make him look worse than he actually is.
hattori300

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:13 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

Its clear from the start that Joe is an orphan who has nothing, not even a name. He is stuck doing dive fights as the only way to make ends meet & is clearly dissatisfied by his lot in life. Its here that he seeks to prove himself, that he's not some worthless nobody, but a real person who can go the distance. Its the classic underdog story ala Rocky. Its then where meeting Yuri reignited the spark of passion within himself as he almost lost himself to despair & that's where he decided once & for all that he's not gonna be wasting his life doing dive fights anymore. The fact the world champ himself acknowledged his strength is the first start to his journey. Its there Nanbu out of a combination of desperation & inspiration decides to help Joe go the distance & prove he is a somebody.

Im glad you know how the cliches and archetypes of the story work. I know them too.
If you dont get what im saying, there isnt much else I can do. Im glad you enjoy the show.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

Okay seriously, its this that makes me doubt you are actually watching the show.

I'm not saying Joe is some amazing ultra-written-ed character but seriously you are now deliberately misrepresenting facts just to make him look worse than he actually is.

Yeah boxing is a job to Joe and he's getting bored of it... how's that anywhere near "saved his life" level of important? Yeah it's a classic underdog story, so...? How does that make Joe equally sympathetic to "guy who lost his legs in war and almost committed suicide if it wasn't for boxing"? Cause that guy is also an underdog (the whole lost his leg thing) except he has all this extra stuff. Joe is just... yep bored. You can spice it up with passion and "lost himself" all you want, but that's just using more word to say "bored".

I mean the whole underdog thing... literally everyone who's not Yuri is also the underdog if Joe is one. There all not the champion, making them the underdog. The shark guy was also an underdog (no one expected him to get into megalomania), so by the "underdog deserve sympathy" logic, previous fight also had an opponent who was equally sympathetic to Joe.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

Yeah boxing is a job to Joe and he's getting bored of it... how's that anywhere near "saved his life" level of important? Yeah it's a classic underdog story, so...? How does that make Joe equally sympathetic to "guy who lost his legs in war and almost committed suicide if it wasn't for boxing"? Cause that guy is also an underdog (the whole lost his leg thing) except he has all this extra stuff. Joe is just... yep bored. You can spice it up with passion and "lost himself" all you want, but that's just using more word to say "bored".

I mean the whole underdog thing... literally everyone who's not Yuri is also the underdog if Joe is one. There all not the champion, making them the underdog. The shark guy was also an underdog (no one expected him to get into megalomania), so by the "underdog deserve sympathy" logic, previous fight also had an opponent who was equally sympathetic to Joe.

Joe is stuck at a deadbeat job working for the mob & if he screws up, it could mean serious repercussions. That's more than just bored.

An underdog is the highest person expected to lose. Joe is the underdog because he's fighting with nothing, no sponsor, no equipment compared to everyone else who has the stuff but the grit to back it up. Also that shark guy plays dirty, he's regarded as low-rank cause of that.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

Joe is stuck at a deadbeat job working for the mob & if he screws up, it could mean serious repercussions. That's more than just bored.

An underdog is the highest person expected to lose. Joe is the underdog because he's fighting with nothing, no sponsor, no equipment compared to everyone else who has the stuff but the grit to back it up. Also that shark guy plays dirty, he's regarded as low-rank cause of that.

Again, how is any of that anywhere near "lost his legs in war and almost killed himself"?

He's not stuck at his job, he could quit (he was dumb and "quit" by winning a match he should have lost, but that's on him) and do something else. Sure he's ID less, but that seems to be pretty common and doesn't stop most people it seems. Also we don't even know why he's ID less, there's plenty of orphan in our societies who have ID number and birth certificate, why would Joe not have one for being an orphan?

Boxing works differently from most sports. Most boxer aren't professional, they're amateur because they're low on the ladder and can't make that much money from matches. This must apply to pretty much everyone below 50 (think about it, who would pay hundreds of dollar to watch #118 fight #125?). Low ranking boxer spend there own money to train on there off time while also keeping a permanent job on the side. Joe main job is boxing. He has more experience than most and can actually survive on that (because they cheat but still). He's also somehow super natural, his punch can knock out people who are habituated to getting hit by mechanically enhanced punch and can somehow come back multiple time from being hit by said mechanically enhanced punch. He's hardly more of an underdog than most boxer.
hattori300

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Again, how is any of that anywhere near "lost his legs in war and almost killed himself"?

Let's be fair here, for argument's sake.
In order to be the underdog of the story you dont have to be the one with the most disadvantage in the competition.

You could make the Joe vs A Cripple match work just fine, but the root of the problem is always the same: Joe isnt interesting.
No matter how many matches he has won while being the underdog, he doesnt feel like the underdog.
There is never a moment where we see Joe realizing what is at stake. Never an introspective moment where he realizes how much he wants this placement in the tournament. Never a moment where Joe decides to go the distance no matter the cost.

Every single match has been Joe getting into the ring cocky and self assured, getting his ass whooped in the easiest of ways, getting almost KO'd until the last sec once or twice, then getting up and suddently realizing he actually knows how to boxe and easily getting the win.
We have to be told by other side characters that he is afraid, and not by Joe himself.
We have to be told by other side characters that he knows how to boxe well enough to balance the lack of gear, never by Joe himself.

Joe is without a doubt the worst part of this show. Aragaki got more development in 2 episodes than Joe, the main character, in 6.
No matter how much the show TELLS me that Joe wants Yuri badly, it never SHOWS me that. He is an underdog in title alone, not by his actions and development.
hattori300

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
i mean....I try to igonre the flaws...but yet again Joe proves to be a wet blanket of a character...

This episode was the perfect opportunity to demonstrate why Joe deserved a spot in the Final Four of the tournament. He had one last shot to show everyone he had earned a rematch. This could be the moment to finally show us why its worth investing in this character.

And once again they squandered that opportunity.
All it took for the lady in charge of tournament to reconsider was for Joe to show up in the middle of the ceremony and say "is he your idea of the real deal?".
Wow. Amazing character development. What an absolute twist.....

At this point the show is just going through the motions, not even putting in the effort to give Joe a good speech to turn the tide and change the mind of people in the world of the show AND us the viewers. No real intent in demonstrating why Joe is different from the rest.
All it takes is being dragged by security while spewing some cliche'd as hell jabs at the woman.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
Oh c'mon, he could've given the equivalent of the "I am human" speech, and you still wouldn't have bought it. Smile
hattori300

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:39 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Oh c'mon, he could've given the equivalent of the "I am human" speech, and you still wouldn't have bought it. Smile

even you have to admit they could have done a better job there
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:39 am Reply with quote
I thought it was fine. But I've understood his character all along, so I didn't need him to go into an uncharacteristically bombastic declaration of his worth to convince me that she would be convinced. Nanba (and Yuri) had already planted the seeds and it's not like she needed a lot of arm-twisting to do what she already wanted to do but hadn't convinced herself she had a good enough reason.
hattori300

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I thought it was fine. But I've understood his character all along, so I didn't need him to go into an uncharacteristically bombastic declaration of his worth to convince me that she would be convinced. Nanba (and Yuri) had already planted the seeds and it's not like she needed a lot of arm-twisting to do what she already wanted to do but hadn't convinced herself she had a good enough reason.

See, this is why I cant make it more clear as to why it doesnt work for me.
Yes, Nanba and Yuri had already planted the seeds, but it was up to Joe to make those seeds finally grow.
There is a reason as to why the show makes us think Nanba has persuaded her and then with a bait n' switch makes him fail. You have this great scene of Joe taking matters into his own hands finally and not letting Nanbu fix everything for him. He grabs his bike like he has always done in his life to get away from the world and he goes towards it for the first time. Thats [expletive] drama. Thats character development.
Thats the show saying to us "Its up to Joe now to change her mind". Finally we have a moment of real tension where all the characters have everything to lose if they dont change her mind, and its up to Joe to get there as fast as he can and somehow prove he deserves a rematch.
And then all he has to say is "he's a faker!", and thats what breaks the camel's back. Talk about a boner killer.
This is what makes good drama. It doesnt matter if i already know "what Joe's character is all about" beforehand. The illusion is the point of good storytelling, otherwise why bother?
Most shockingly, is that i know you know this and understand what im saying, but at this point you arent willing to move an inch regarding my opinion. The argument is always the same, you already know who and what the character is, so the show doesnt have to go the extra mile to gives more of that character.
Pardon my bluntness, but thats a shallow excuse and in no way invalidates my criticism.
"and it's not like she needed a lot of arm-twisting to do what she already wanted to do but hadn't convinced herself she had a good enough reason". What you are implying here is that Joe saying "he's he your idea of the real deal?" was what convinced she had good enough reason. Which was something Nanbu had already told her. So Joe is just parroting Nanbu. How is Joe repeating the same argument as Nanbu enough to convince her AND the viewers? Also, how is Joe repeating the same argument as Nanbu making him standout as a character and developing our interest in him?
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
hattori300 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

See, this is why I cant make it more clear as to why it doesnt work for me.
Yes, Nanba and Yuri had already planted the seeds, but it was up to Joe to make those seeds finally grow.
There is a reason as to why the show makes us think Nanba has persuaded her and then with a bait n' switch makes him fail. You have this great scene of Joe taking matters into his own hands finally and not letting Nanbu fix everything for him. He grabs his bike like he has always done in his life to get away from the world and he goes towards it for the first time. Thats [expletive] drama. Thats character development.
Thats the show saying to us "Its up to Joe now to change her mind". Finally we have a moment of real tension where all the characters have everything to lose if they dont change her mind, and its up to Joe to get there as fast as he can and somehow prove he deserves a rematch.
And then all he has to say is "he's a faker!", and thats what breaks the camel's back. Talk about a boner killer.
This is what makes good drama. It doesnt matter if i already know "what Joe's character is all about" beforehand. The illusion is the point of good storytelling, otherwise why bother?
Most shockingly, is that i know you know this and understand what im saying, but at this point you arent willing to move an inch regarding my opinion. The argument is always the same, you already know who and what the character is, so the show doesnt have to go the extra mile to gives more of that character.
Pardon my bluntness, but thats a shallow excuse and in no way invalidates my criticism.
"and it's not like she needed a lot of arm-twisting to do what she already wanted to do but hadn't convinced herself she had a good enough reason". What you are implying here is that Joe saying "he's he your idea of the real deal?" was what convinced she had good enough reason. Which was something Nanbu had already told her. So Joe is just parroting Nanbu. How is Joe repeating the same argument as Nanbu enough to convince her AND the viewers? Also, how is Joe repeating the same argument as Nanbu making him standout as a character and developing our interest in him?

Your just a constant source of rants aren't you? Its the same shit with you every time. Can't you at the very least summarize?
hattori300

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

Your just a constant source of rants aren't you? Its the same shit with you every time. Can't you at the very least summarize?

I'll shut up when I hear a good reasonable counter argument. Until then you'll just have to deal with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9