• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Hanebado! [2018-07-17]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
I want to believe they won't redeem Uchika because there is simply no way to come back after this without making it an outright reboot, but so many anime have abusive parents who are excused because they "had good intentions" or whatever. In this case Uchika destroyed Ayano emotionally and screwed another girl over in exactly the same way.

Or at least I hope she abused Connie as well, because otherwise Connie tracking down Ayano especifically to humilliate her after Uchika abandoned her to focus entirely on Connie's training would be sadistic and entitled as hell. Oh, yeah, and she also said teams are worthless after her teammates were super nice to her after she was a total asshole to them.

While the main team has had some nice moments together the shadow of how Ayano was repeteadly pressured into becoming part of it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Sora's criticism came out of nowhere, and while Ayano overcoming her competitive mindset and learning that her team are her friends is nice and all...they are preparing for the olympics. Coach Grabby Hands especifically wanted Ayano in the team because she has the most potential to achieve that dream. I'm sure that won't exacerbate Ayano's complex over her worth being attached to her talent or anything

Rolling Eyes
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
The coach knows about Connie and Uchika and her professional careers, and that Ayano is Uchika's daughter and even so he doesn't react? Rather strange.

Kokuryu Daimao wrote:
I'm just wondering where all this talk about "redeeming" or "justifying" the mom character is coming from?

You responded to your own answer.

Kokuryu Daimao wrote:

Manga/Anime is flooded with "Bad" parents.

Cab329 wrote:
Well, you're right but the reason it's worrisome in this is because we've already had a couple of characters get off without any repercussions, so Uchika could wind up getting off Scot free.

Aragaki treated her team like crap for at least 6 months but despite that, everyone is just cool with her once she gets over her own drama, she never really had a big comeuppance or at least a proper dressing down (she should have at least been kicked of fan the team for awhile...or have someone punch her)

Not really.
She accepted her faults and asked for forgiveness.
Half the club gave up and never came back.

LvlfiveShipper wrote:
Well I tried, I really tried to like this adaptation but I can't... I just can't like it, I can't even imagine the manga author liking this

Author is on board with all the changes.
He want the anime to be it's own thing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If you're still not down with the melodramatic elements of this series, the points touched on this week will probably turn you off even more.

Bingo. I was pretty excited about this from the first episode, but while I'm a big fan of angst, this is not the kind of angst I enjoy. I was expecting to see some kick-ass girls putting their heart and soul into their sport for the love of the sport, not these wimpy, traumatized emo girls who get triggered by hair or the word "team." I could've cheered for Hanesaki's "Forget Mom. I don't need her anymore," if it hadn't been accompanied by her thousand yard PTSD stare.

This is not what I signed on for. Count me out.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:08 am Reply with quote
At this point I won't be happy if the last episode isn't Connie and Ayano both realizing that "Mom" is an emotionally abusive monster that leaves nothing but human wreckage in her wake. With this knowledge they track down Uchika. Once they find her, they beat her to death with badminton rackets. Medetashi medetashi.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Why does Kaoruko exist again? I hope at least Ayano kicks her ass. And then break the racket on her mom's head.

The anime really abuses drama, sometimes without taking time to properly set it up. Rio losing was sad but they just introduce her drama with whatshername in this episode, so their relationship and Riko's inferiority complex don't have the intended impact.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote
POLICE!

I can't praise the animation enough. You can actually see and understand exactly what is happening and what the characters are talking about during the games. All the technical terms, the positioning, all makes sense. There's moments when the characters don't talk and explain what happened in the game because the animation makes it clear and obvious for you.
Special mention to the audio.
You can guess that type of hit was made without seeing through the sound it makes.

But they have a problem...
Because Ayano is so lean and slender, this happen. All the time. They can't animate her like she isn't make of jelly.

But of course, the biggest problem is the story.
I actually like this, very much. It's well done, "makes sense", but just half of it. It's like there's two stories here. The original anime story that isn't crazy and it's fine stuff and the story that comes from the manga that the anime can't trow away that's insane.
Maybe it's insane on purpose. It appears that a bunch of serious things aren't taken seriously in the manga, at least not the "way we understand they deserve", and the anime choose to not let the character get away with their bullshit. Gives me hope that Uchika will end prosecuted and jailed, who knows.
青白

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:00 am Reply with quote
Who in the name of Christ wears a swimsuit playing badminton? Short skirt, ya, but a goddamn swimsuit?
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
青白 wrote:
Who in the name of Christ wears a swimsuit playing badminton? Short skirt, ya, but a goddamn swimsuit?

Trying to add a "subtle" fanservice.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
青白 wrote:

You mean, the new uniforms of the main cast?
Why not if it's "good looking"? And actually is that any worse, fanservice, than a mini-skirt showing panties?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
~/

Last edited by 鏡 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Ayano's coping method may be kind of unhealthy but YAAAS QUEEN!!!
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Like I said on the Harukana Receive thread Hanebado is the superior animation, Sakugas of the Year. The quality didn't dropped, it improved. For me it's a benchmark in sport animation, but anyway...

I get the feeling that, because of the short time, the anime staff "worsened" a few characters, Ayano's tormentors, to justify this change of personality.
I just hope that they aren't thinking about blaming her for all she suffered and excuse the others. Can you really sympathized with Kaoruko? Just because she trains hard? This is not enough, even more when you remember that she cheated to be able to win against Ayano and never repented. She just want to feel superior over the others, she deserved to lose and more.
I hope that Nagisa will be the one to "save" Ayano from the path of madness, someone that never did any harm to her and NOT her mother. Uchika needs do pay for everything she did to Ayano and Connie, it's her how needs to works for Ayano, do something to at least compensate a bit. Thus far Hanebado is "good", but if the anime really do something like that for me it'll become one of the "worse" of this entire decade.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Ok seriously, Ayano suddenly turning into a cartoon villain was downright hilarious!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Man, this show just continues to get weirder. Ayano's gonna wander around with PTSD eyes all the time now, working out her emotional trauma by destroying everyone else athletically like some kind of weird badminton demon, eh?
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
What I find so weird about this show is that it's kind of an anti-sports show.

For example: side characters are talking about how they aren't really planning on playing badminton after the season and they seem fairly happy with the decision. While players who take badminton seriously are miserable or crap at dealing with people (being able to empathize or relax)

Also, most sports shows show the crowd getting into it while here it rather accurately shows how a badminton school tournament would play out with just the teams watching and a few family members. There's little energy or even engagement from them (and yeah badminton is a sport where you need to be quiet during play but even the way most of them watch is rather uninterested)

Also hard work doesn't matter compared to talent. Oh I'm sure Aragaki will get a win or two but ultimately this is Hanesaki's show. Aragaki busted her butt everyday and even has some natural talent and is tall, while Hanesaki straight up didn't play for months and now is better than ever. The show made a comment about hard work being important but so far talent is pretty clearly the big decider.

Like most sports shows get me thinking "that would be fun to give a try" if this was my only exposure to badminton, I would think the sport is only played by miserable people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9