• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't More Publishers Take A Chance On Older Titles?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:52 am Reply with quote
Ultimate N wrote:
(Heck, just look at the cost estimated in this very article for Reborn!'s 200-episode count)

I'm pretty sure that was tongue in cheek, since that corresponds to almost 69 grand per episode.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:55 am Reply with quote
Okay then, let's use an example that has more definitive numbers, like the Aria Kickstarter, which was primarily about dubbing the anime. In the end, Right Stuf got close to $600,000 to dub all 53 episodes of Aria, and even if you remove things like Kickstarter's cut of the money, shipping, etc., I'd say that the dub would still average to ~$10,000/episode, which is actually the general number people in the know have given for the cost of your average anime dub.

In that (likely ideal) case, dubbing all 203 episodes of Reborn! would cost ~$2 million, which is no small amount of money, and more than likely way more than what Discotek paid to even license the show for home video release in the first place.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:27 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Okay then, let's use an example that has more definitive numbers, like the Aria Kickstarter, which was primarily about dubbing the anime. In the end, Right Stuf got close to $600,000 to dub all 53 episodes of Aria, and even if you remove things like Kickstarter's cut of the money, shipping, etc., I'd say that the dub would still average to ~$10,000/episode, which is actually the general number people in the know have given for the cost of your average anime dub.

I would point out you're forgetting about all the extra included merch items. So that profit is a good chunk less after all those shirts, mugs, buttons, etc get made. Or is that included in the "etc" in your post? Even if so I think you're over estimating the profit for the aria dub when it's all said and done.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the "etc." covers the rest of the non-dub costs, but I'd argue that the point still stands that dubbing something the length of Reborn would likely still require at least a seven-figure sum, even if not something like $2 million. Anything less than that, which would already be at ~$5,000/ep at the absolute least, and it'd be likely to be a rather poor dub, which would only anger fans.

Something like Reborn is just too long & expensive to make a dub for, unless it's brand new or is actually going to air on TV over here.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Ultimate N wrote:
I really hope the earlier episodes of Gintama will still be dubbed. The only reason I'm not buying the blu-rays right now is because I don't want to start the series part-way through. I am currently reading the manga and am a massive fan of this series now, but I want to watch this anime dubbed.

Buy them anyway, even if you don't want to watch them immediately when they get delivered to your house. If nobody's buying them, then Crunchyroll and FUNimation won't continue releasing the dub, which would kill all chances of seeing the older episodes dubbed.

Think about why Viz Media stopped releasing the manga a few years back. If a good amount of people actually bought every volume, then the company would've still been releasing volumes of it today.
dark13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
[quote="OjaruFan2"]
Ultimate N wrote:
Think about why Viz Media stopped releasing the manga a few years back. If a good amount of people actually bought every volume, then the company would've still been releasing volumes of it today.
I thought the reason why Nobody bought the Gintama Volumes was because the? translations were awful ?
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
The Dragon Ball translation is terrible and people bought that. Gintama is completely unknown in the West outside of anime-centric spaces such as this very site. it suffered the same fate as Reborn!.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

I can definitely state that our discs do not have the brightness issue evidenced in your screencaps. I suspect that those later episodes were upscaled for broadcast and streaming, because all of the episodes were delivered to us in SD and I found no evidence that they were actually made in HD.

There are a couple of episodes right after it switches to widescreen (102-103ish) where there are some minor scaling issues on the final masters, but it's just for those episodes, which leads me to believe that someone in production just made a mistake for those eps. I don't think most people will notice. Those are the only video issues I noticed.

Thank you very much for the confirmation. That is awesome to hear. I would have bought it regardless, but it's nice to see confirmation that the right brightness and coloring is present. It just means that this release will indeed be possibly the best quality release we will get.

Thanks again. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4