• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Launches Kickstarter Campaign to Dub Emma: A Victorian Romance, Release Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I just backed Emma: A Victorian Romance Kickstarter for $1. is it on Crunchyroll? I don't know what this anime is about.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the territorial blocking, I believe Sentai have recently altered the way their disks are restricted, from region (Japan/US= R1, Europe= R2, etc.) to country. From what I understand this means as long as your blu ray player has been configured to believe it is running in the same country as the disk, it will play. Granted, for a standard bd player, altering the internal configurations is probably more effort than it's worth. but if you own a console like a ps3/4, all you would need is to create up a secondary account using an American address, and the disk should work when signed in.

I have no idea how difficult it is to adopt this process over standard regional locking, but the change has received a response response from the UK collector community, so it might be worth seeing if it's possible to move over to this system for releases that attract a more international audience like your kickstarter projects. It won't help everyone, but it will definitely give more people the chance to watch the disks while still adhering to restriction standards.

Feel free to correct me if there's some glaring problem I'm unaware of Smile
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
I just backed Emma: A Victorian Romance Kickstarter for $1. is it on Crunchyroll? I don't know what this anime is about.

Crunchyroll added S1 to its library just last week.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
In regards to the territorial blocking, I believe Sentai have recently altered the way their disks are restricted, from region (Japan/US= R1, Europe= R2, etc.) to country. From what I understand this means as long as your blu ray player has been configured to believe it is running in the same country as the disk, it will play.

Yup, that's geo-blocking. Blu-ray players have both a region code and an ID that identifies what country they are manufactured for (Region A is more than just the US!). So for US blu-ray players they have a Region A code and an ID to say that they were meant for usage in the US. Geo-blocking the disc means that they will only play if it recognizes the country code that it was meant for (this actually foils some all-region blu-ray players). Sentai originally started doing that to help assuage the Japanese companies over their fears of reverse importation, but now they both geo-block the discs and lock all audio and subtitle streams which kind of pisses me off. But that's something totally off topic to the Emma kickstarter.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
It should be noted this isn't the first time that Emma was dubbed in English. Animax Asia Aired both seasons with English dubs on their channel.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:

The kickstarter page for Emma explains what the anime is about.

fathomlessblue wrote:

Crunchyroll added S1 to its library just last week.

Crunchyroll has both seasons in their library. On another note, how does it feel that your gut feeling was right, fathomlessblue? Very Happy

MrTerrorist wrote:
It should be noted this isn't the first time that Emma was dubbed in English. Animax Asia Aired both seasons with English dubs on their channel.

Did they now? Interesting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Emma quite a bit, but I'm going to wait on concrete cast announcements before I commit to a proper tier. As has been mentioned, the series lives and dies by its sense of realism and nuance, so I think having a dub that uses faux-English accents would undermine that for me. Granted, I'm probably a bit of an extreme case, being British and all, in that I can usually recognize attempts to mimic the accents in ways the average non-UK fan wouldn't recognize, but it's nonetheless super distracting to me. Shows like the original Hellsing were treated as comedies in my old anime club, while even recently announced offerings like Sentai's dub from Princess Principal have a similar effect (I can't fault the VA's for doing their damnedest efforts, but it still sounds completely artificial to my ears).

I'm definitely interested in the blu ray but if successful I could pick it up at a later date through outlets that avoid customs fees, so I'll see what's offered first before throwing down cash upfront (plus I'd prefer to get my hands on my Aria disks first before jumping into another project). We'll see.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm super excited! I'm not pledging today, but I will before it's out (also need to determine if I could afford the chipboard box or going for just the sets). I kind of want to see if season 2 goal gets hit, since that would affect my pledge tier chosen. I'm also wondering if a tier couldn't be added that's like "one to keep, one for a gift" and you get two copies. Aria's just not a show for me, so I was certainly happy to see it succeed, but this time, I want to jump in!

If any anime NEEDS a dub, it's one that takes place in Victorian England. I'm still hoping for British actors for the dub! Maybe part of it is me currently playing Dragon Quest (whose English dubs have been British since 8), but also that Emma takes place in England.

Still, it's a shame the Rose of Versailles license is going away, I would have loved that one dubbed on bluray as well Crying or Very sad

Also still really hoping for you guys to get Toward the Terra TV (to go with your movie), which would also probably look really nice on bluray overall (also, I know Aniplex Asia did a dub for the TV series, it's quality though? Likely dubious, it's hard to even find audio clips of it), but it could benefit from a great dub too! And Dirty Pair (the 80s stuff) would be a must for me too!
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:

Crunchyroll has both seasons in their library. On another note, how does it feel that your gut feeling was right, fathomlessblue? Very Happy

Ha, to be fair, way back when Shawne was on ANNcast to promote the Aria ks, he did mention a potential future project that would require a specialized dub, which led a few people to suspect Emma. The fact he recently left some cryptic comments on twitter and the show suddenly appearing on Crunchyroll just felt like natural foreshadowing to an inevitable announcement Smile

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I'm also wondering if a tier couldn't be added that's like "one to keep, one for a gift" and you get two copies.

If what you want to gift is just the Blu-ray sets and not the artbox, then you would be able to buy extra copies in the slacker backer period after pledging for a tier.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:
Yup, that's geo-blocking. Blu-ray players have both a region code and an ID that identifies what country they are manufactured for (Region A is more than just the US!). So for US blu-ray players they have a Region A code and an ID to say that they were meant for usage in the US. Geo-blocking the disc means that they will only play if it recognizes the country code that it was meant for (this actually foils some all-region blu-ray players). Sentai originally started doing that to help assuage the Japanese companies over their fears of reverse importation, but now they both geo-block the discs and lock all audio and subtitle streams which kind of pisses me off. But that's something totally off topic to the Emma kickstarter.

I’m finding zero evidence of this. There are only 3 BD region codes in the whole world. A, B, C, or all 3. If a BD says it is region A, then any player that was purchased in that region (all the Americas, Japan, some SE Asia, etc) can play it.
Saito?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I double-dipped on Aria, I have the original box sets. I backed season 1 and currently watching it and... it is an amazing dub (and yes, I watch in English with English subs) and looks great!

Shawne, his team, and Pied Piper have been nothing but awesome with everything they are involved with. I'm not a cheerleader, but I have never had anything wrong with the products or customer service over the years.

P.S. Shout out to Ann (Pied Piper) for the Skip Beat kickstarter, love the boxset!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I’m finding zero evidence of this. There are only 3 BD region codes in the whole world. A, B, C, or all 3. If a BD says it is region A, then any player that was purchased in that region (all the Americas, Japan, some SE Asia, etc) can play it.

Blu-Ray coding by country has been confirmed in the past:

Quote:
Now, of course, North America and Japan share a region code, and that creates endless headaches for Japanese producers. Japanese fans importing cheaper American Blu-rays ("reverse importing") was such a huge concern for anime producers that some of them nearly stopped allowing Blu-ray releases in North America. Luckily, another method of programming the discs was discovered that allowed them to lock out individual countries, not just an entire third of the Earth.

I know I ran into it when trying to play some discs in the Blu-Ray player at the local anime club -- it gave me a lockout screen saying the discs (Sentai's Place to Place and Outbreak Company) were only playable in the US and Canada. Of course, that Blu-Ray player is very much in the US, as am I, and those discs work fine on my player at home. Mysterious.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:43 pm Reply with quote
This is gonna be FANTASTIC.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
It looks this is the approach to finally giving some anime from 10+ years ago the proper Eng. dub that could have or should have been dubbed already.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6