• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Ep 7

Gotta say this ep reminded me of how OP Rimuru really was even early in the story. Sure he got blessed by Veldora giving him a name but its really only here that he shows how OP his handout abilities are. Yeah its a power fantasy but damn does this hammer the point home
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:42 am Reply with quote
I find the moments of humor and the detailed art such as the fire spell circle make this a very interesting anime!
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While you'd have to suspend an awful lot of disbelief to think Rimuru himself is in any real danger, he's surrounded by enough minor characters that there's a credible possibility of somebody getting killed off by Ifrit's flames.

That felt a bit forced, to be honest. I kept wondering why Rimuru would put those poor adventurers into danger, especially since he's usually all about protecting the weak(er). It almost looked like he wanted them to get hurt...

That aside, i enjoyed this ep. a lot and was happy to see Veldora again! Smile
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Im glad they manage to deliver on Shizu's backstory and the scenes that take place immediately after Rimuru acquires his human form. A fair bit of feels never hurt anyone. Now the story can really take off starting with the next arc.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I doubt if this one will make the cut for my top two for the season, but I've still been quite impressed with it so far, with episode 8 being my favorite to date. Shizu had a more involved story than I expected and the episode carried it through well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
My review of episode todays;

*insert 20 minute YouTube video consisting entirely of gross sobbing*
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote
Man, Ep. 8 really had me close to having the feels when I wasn’t expecting that to happen going into this series. Just a well done job by the staff with pretty much everything and I’m really looking forward to seeing where exactly the story goes from here. Smile
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:20 pm Reply with quote
If feels like he got cheated out of his love. I hope there's some slick way to bring her back later.
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 had me crying in a way I usually reserve for Trigun. Very satisfying. How many other shows out there have the main character's primary love interest die almost immediately, making their love a love of memories? Also, am I alone in thinking this will NOT actually turn out to be a harem series? At least not a typical one?
Zeres

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote
"Shizu's story arc may have started off as more of a slow burn".

In a more serious tone, this episode hit me hard. And its got that same emotional weight where just remembering it has an effect on me, which for me is the hallmark of a great series.
I am a manga reader yet it still hit me with much more emotion than the manga. They fully utilized the medium in telling shizus story to a larger degree.
All in all..great episode.
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote
This episode was powerful. I needed time to process it. There are these very heavy themes to consider. I mean, suddenly the delightful slime based power fulfilment fantasy is approaching Golden Kamuy levels of emotional complexity and storytelling. No, this wasn't as powerful as say, ep 18 of the aforementioned, but it was up there. And that's really saying something for the "comedy slime isekai". I really wasn't expecting this. Sometimes surprises are a good thing I think.

Zof

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Zeres wrote:
"Shizu's story arc may have started off as more of a slow burn".

In a more serious tone, this episode hit me hard. And its got that same emotional weight where just remembering it has an effect on me, which for me is the hallmark of a great series.
I am a manga reader yet it still hit me with much more emotion than the manga. They fully utilized the medium in telling shizus story to a larger degree.
All in all..great episode.

There's a show called Grimgar, Ashes and Illusions. The ending of that show was so powerful I still think about it. I hear the song "Nutrient" from the amazing soundtrack in my head and I remember one of the most emotional and amazing endings ever. Where everything just gets tied up in a bow that matters and all the stupid questions don't anymore. This had that vibe. The vibe that has people freaking out about Goblin Slayer. That we are going to see an incredible hero do something absolutely amazing.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quote
For me ep 8 was the endcap of an arc that felt more like a series of plot beats turned into scenes. I never got the feels because, in my completely subjective opinion, Shizu just sort of showed up, waxed melancholic about her life without actually getting the chance to demonstrate much of a personality in favor of flashbacks about her tragic past, then died in a conflict that didn't seem to have much narrative or thematic weight beyond Rimuru losing his first waifu.

I mean I do applaud the series for actually having the guts to pull the trigger on killing off a traditionally marketable character. That combined with Rimuru's newly discovered motivation to go out and do something make me really hopeful about this series as it continues on. And the scene where Shizu shared Rimurus memories of postwar Japan actually did succeed for me much more than ep 8s episode long goodbye to a character that we knew for like, a single episode worth of time that she wasn't a speechless fire monster.

6.5/10 for me, but I'm looking forward to finding out what comes next!
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:45 am Reply with quote
^ Not only did we not know Shizu at all, all we knew of her 'adventure' with the party was her killing the huge insects that one time. Thank God everyone's telling me it was all fun, because they sure as hell didn't show any of it.

So yeah this episode failed on me, as the show has been for a while. I did have to laugh when the subbers thought Rimuru saying "you were on fire!" was a neat joke in this context.
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:51 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
For me ep 8 was the endcap of an arc that felt more like a series of plot beats turned into scenes. I never got the feels because, in my completely subjective opinion, Shizu just sort of showed up, waxed melancholic about her life without actually getting the chance to demonstrate much of a personality in favor of flashbacks about her tragic past, then died in a conflict that didn't seem to have much narrative or thematic weight beyond Rimuru losing his first waifu.

Honestly this, so much. I liked Shizus brief flashback in the prior episode and the little bit at the end when Rimuru swallowed her but I didn't really feel anything for her passing. It's like we were missing a fair bit of backstory that would make this more emotional.

Doesn't help that it is in effect a stepping stone for Rimuru to do something, makes her feel more like a tool to get the setup ready than anything else. An extra episode detailing more her background or life would have added a lot more in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 22