• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ad Agency Briefly Reveals Sonic the Hedgehog Film's Character Design

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maciste

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh God...

Someone hold me, please...
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:
He served you well for so long and doesnt deserve to be dragged through cow sh*t.

You're nearly 20 years late to that.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:14 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
zawa113 wrote:

On the plus side, if this flops hard enough, maybe Sega will consider putting Sonic to rest!

If Sonic 06, Rise Of Lyric, & Forces weren't enough to kill Sonic what makes you think this will?

Touche
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, he looks hideous, I also recently thought up of this furry sheep magical girl OC idea that's better than this, and I'm not even part of the fandom (don't let my profile pic fool ya). Couldn't they have just done a 2D animation thing instead (and I have full confidence the 1999 OVA/film is better)? Shocked

And if this movie flops (which I'm expecting), then I'm afraid that this will be the final nail in the coffin and Sega will put the poor blue hedgehog down out of his misery. Sad

I'll see Alita instead. Also, is it bad that I'm actually looking forward to seeing the reaction of a famous immature Sonic and anime fanboy to this film than the actual movie itself (probably less than 50% of you may get what I'm saying)??
SouthParkboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Well it's official this movie may be the final nail in the coffin for the Sonic franchise. Sega you need to make a new game franchise it can be anything, But you are done with Sonic! Time to hang him up and grow up!
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Hm.

Well, Sonic looks exactly like I thought he would, I don't really have any complaints.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:18 am Reply with quote
Man that thing is ugly. This is what nightmares are made of, kids.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
Hey, I am one of the few that thinks Detective Pikachu looks like crap. It will be Roger Rabbit with none of the wit, and only the barest of humor. When Roger Rabbit was made, there was no attempt to blend cartoons into realism, they kept the toons looking like toons. Pokemon might actually have personalities, they might exist in a world with its own physics and logic, but I just don't see that with the Detective Pikachu film. Its a lazy cash grab and people will eat it up like they did Adam Sandler movies.

Now as for Sonic, this looks everybit as bad as detective pikachu.The difference here is thay Sonic fans care about Sonic more than Pokemon fans care about their pokemon. Sonic has a personality, he has a character that has been established from years of video games, comic books and tv shows.
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:04 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Hey, I am one of the few that thinks Detective Pikachu looks like crap. It will be Roger Rabbit with none of the wit, and only the barest of humor. When Roger Rabbit was made, there was no attempt to blend cartoons into realism, they kept the toons looking like toons. Pokemon might actually have personalities, they might exist in a world with its own physics and logic, but I just don't see that with the Detective Pikachu film. Its a lazy cash grab and people will eat it up like they did Adam Sandler movies.

Now as for Sonic, this looks everybit as bad as detective pikachu.The difference here is thay Sonic fans care about Sonic more than Pokemon fans care about their pokemon. Sonic has a personality, he has a character that has been established from years of video games, comic books and tv shows.

Not quite familiar with the pokefandom and overall content of the franchise, I see.
The simple yet effective plot (except for maybe Omega Ruby/Alpha Saphire, Gen 4 and especially Gen 5) is miles better told and properly structured compared to anything Sonic ever tried to accomplish in years of animations, games and side material.

I'm a big fan of both franchises, and I honestly enjoyed more than half of the Sonic games thus far for a "so bad is awfully funny" experience instead of the first few 2D games and Sonic Mania. Even when Pokemon takes a nosedive in storytelling consistency and overall content (XY game for most part and of course the mess that was Best Wishes' anime), it still was very superior compared to the worst Sonic could offer instead, and that, I think, could potentially include even some of the bad spinoff games in the Pokemon series.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:

Not to mention Ryan Reynolds' voice doesn't suit Pikachu at all, when I think Pikachu, all I think of him having is a high pitched voice.

And I don't understand how people found all those Adam Sandler films appealing...guess like what Lisa Simpson said, you'll never go broke aiming for the lowest common denominator. Anime hyper
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Someone fixed it more or less:

BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Megax36 wrote:

Perhaps some of you are too young to remember, but for those who are not I think we could all agree, that even though they were horrible representations of the source material upon which they were based, in the end they did little to deter the future success of the IPs!

Honestly Street Fighter wasn't that bad

I mean yeah having a Belgian play a character whose canonically American (who was also made the lead in the movie despite not being the lead in the game) was pretty absurd.

As was how Dhalsim, Dee Jay, Balrog, & Zangief were portrayed

And getting rid of the whole tournament aspect was ridiculous (even the original MK movie kept it's Tournament)

I mean I would probably never watch the movie if it ever came on but I never had hate for the film even while being aware of some of it's changes.

ranran-001 wrote:
Hey, I am one of the few that thinks Detective Pikachu looks like crap. It will be Roger Rabbit with none of the wit, and only the barest of humor. When Roger Rabbit was made, there was no attempt to blend cartoons into realism,

The movie had real actors interacting with cartoon characters and then there's what happens with Christopher Lloyd's character near the end......that sounds like blending cartoons into realism to me.

ranran-001 wrote:

Now as for Sonic, this looks everybit as bad as detective pikachu.The difference here is thay Sonic fans care about Sonic more than Pokemon fans care about their pokemon.

This makes literally no sense as both Sonic fans and Pokemon fans care about each series franchise considerably I don't know where you're getting this idea that Pokemon fans don't care about Pokemon or care less.

Just because people stopped complaining about Detective Pikachu doesn't mean it's fans don't care for the franchise as a whole. The fanbase is notoriously critical of everything that happens with the games or animes.

ranran-001 wrote:

Sonic has a personality, he has a character that has been established from years of video games, comic books and tv shows.

.....Sonic in the genesis era games (and by extension the entire cast prior to Adventure) had no character, that was established with the first wave of animated cartoons (which have different continuinites) and the comic books (which also have their own continuity). Which none of the games took any cues from as opposed to other way around.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4