• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spice & Wolf Fantasy Novels Get New Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:40 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Banking on this being another Fruits Basket and being a full adaptation from the start.

Kazzy Buns wrote:

The final line does say something like, "Shall we embark on a journey again?" but it has connotations of starting fresh. So I'm more inclined to think this is a full remake, like Fruits Basket.

Video title says "完全新作アニメ". I take that to mean "completely new anime". As in, not a remake.

Then again they didn't even confirm the format (TV, OVA, movie, etc.) so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Kazzy Buns wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:
Quote:
"Holo the Wisewolf and Lawrence the Merchant's story continues."

Doesn't sound like a remake to me!

Actually, if you look at the Japanese in the trailer, I don't see that tagline anywhere.

From the trailer's video description:
ファンの皆様に支えられ、賢狼ホロと行商人ロレンスの物語は続いていきます。

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix2xD1rz1JQ
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:48 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Again, my problem is that it seems anime producers have boarded the same nostalgia train as western entertainment, reviving and rebooting old, "safe" properties, and it's a little frustrating, knowing how many great stories are out there that could be adapted instead (to say nothing about oh, original works...)

There's probably examples of this that you could point to, but I have trouble seeing Spice and Wolf as one given that it's not remotely a typical shonen/shojo anime, and it's also something a segment of the community has been begging for for over a decade. It's nostalgia-based to some degree, but I don't exactly see anyone (else?) saying "man, S&W was great, but it really didn't need a remake or sequel; after all, it definitely didn't end abruptly without finishing the story or anything." If this is a safe choice, it's mostly our own doing.

I don't know what in anime qualifies as safe, anyway. Highly-anticipated shows crash and burn all the time. Rarely, something will pull a Demon Slayer and become mind-bogglingly popular, but it's impossible to predict when this might happen. Minor dark horses are quite common and just as unexpected. Originals are uncommon mainly because the whole industry survives on manga and LN sales (or toys if it's a kid show) due to perpetually low demand for blu-rays.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:52 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Sadly this is unlikely as [Sekirei] is no longer available for streaming, which means either interest is nowadays minimal or it "fell outside of [FUNimation's] standards"

If only there were a way to know what actually happened with that series. But no, surely it's more fun to regurgitate conspiratorial talking points from the anti-industry outrage mill, right? For those who don't want to read the ensuing thread, Sekirei was one of many Aniplex titles whose licenses expired when Funimation was unable to renew the rights. What's next, are you going to claim that the likes of Spiral, Baccano!, Black Butler, and Hell Girl S1 (whose licenses were also not renewed Because Aniplex) were "outside of Funimation's standards?" Sekirei is a moderately ecchi title at best, and Funimation has plenty of titles that're far racier.

Interspecies Reviewers was a black swan event. Of course, certain YouTubers with a hate-on for Funimation would rather push their clickbait nonsense contending that that all swans are black, instead of engaging in sober, reality-based analysis of the actual facts. Funi couldn't have known that the anime studio was going to make a product that was far raunchier than the manga.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:12 am Reply with quote
Hopefully they'll do a full adaptation without doing a "promised neverland 2".

The original seasons while old still hold up well and did a reasonable adaptation so they could just pickup from where season 2 concluded with maybe an OVA to cover the missing volume and as a recap.

I'm enjoying realist hero this season so hopefully we'll get more politics/economics based adaptations instead of power fantasy isekai trash (although I'm enjoying sex change munchkin more than I probably should).

Now where's the ancient magus bride announcement.....
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Penrhos wrote:
Now where's the ancient magus bride announcement.....

Wouldn't count on that anytime soon. The first series animated nine volumes, and only seven have been released in Japan since. (The eighth - volume 17 - is, I believe, due out in March.) Hence there probably won't be enough content for two more cours until the end of the year. Also, everything since the anime ended is a single arc, and that doesn't feel it's even heading towards a resolution as of volume 15. I'd rather see them wait until the current arc is done so the whole thing can be animated at once.

Also, I rather doubt that a Promised Neverland 2 could happen here, as even the addition of a new regular character doesn't shake up the storytelling style or plotting at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't believe it when i saw the news. I'm super excited for this! :) If this is a proper continuation, I'll need to rewatch the anime's Dub if/when the Dub gets near

Gemnist wrote:
I've not seen the original, but this is hype nonetheless. As such, I'm not sure how the original series left off, but I think I'd be cool both with a sequel show or a reboot. I kind of hope for the former though, simply because of the Fruits Basket situation, where the original works perfectly fine and doesn't divert from the source but is now completely redundant thanks to its reboot.
Having watched the OG FB anime and the reboot, along with knowing WHY the OG FB anime didn't continue, I can say, oh no the OG anime DID diverge from the source material, namely the last few eps but even b4 then, the creator struggled and fought tooth and nail to keep the anime as close to her vision as she wanted, the person in charge of the anime however had other plans, casted VA she didn't feel suited her chars, the music was not how she envisioned the series with cus the director schose to use music she didn't want and the art style was very dif from her manga's and maybe other stuff I've forgotten about as its been a few years.

As a result of these changes and the horrible exp. the creator of FB had working on the anime with that director of the OG anime, she refused to allow the anime to continue and the ONLY REASON we even GOT the anime reboot is becus of the conditions she set which to my knowledge were honored when they approached her about the anime's reboot. She got the entire JP cast replaced, music also largely replaced, art style was (to my knowledge) closer or exactly that of the manga's (without a doubt dif from the OG anime's art style) and whatever else she felt needed to be corrected was done.

As for the OG anime's changes to the story with the last few eps, they really couldn't continue the anime's story without A) hurting the impact of the story and B) retconing the last few eps and doing it over again. Thats how BIG the changes were. (Even if the changes themselves were small they had big implications for later in the story that the reboot covered so i know how bad those changes to the OG anime were...) So as much as I loved the OG FB anime as a near whole (MINUS the changes to the ending of OG FB, they, even back then, made NO sense...), I have to say it was sadly redundant due to those changes... so its more accurat to say the reboot fixed the story. Whether it fixed the rest is up to whomever imo cus in my cus I love both vers (again, minus the changes to the OG's story at the end there)
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:04 pm Reply with quote
They excluded a whole arc from the OG Spice&Wolf. The manga did include that arc ...and went to exclude another arc entirely... Hopefully, if it's a full reboot, they're a bit more faithful.

Now, while we're talking possible reboots, 3×3 Eyes, anyone? Smile
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:03 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
I think I recognize only Teppu out of the manga you mentioned, ... Basically it seems to me you want them to go for barely known old manga or books,

I'm just going to focus on this part, partly because I see no point in arguing about the rest, and partly because oh come on - just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they're old or obscure. (The oldest works among the ones I mentioned are from the '90s. I know that's ancient history to some, but works from that era do get reboots and revivals, so yeah.)

To kick it off, Kyougoku Natsuhiko is a popular novelist (novels, not LNs), just scroll through that wikipedia entry.

Nodoka no niwa and Kei & Yaku are both recent manga and both got live action TV adaptations - I've only seen the one for Nodoka no niwa and it was bad, as manga TV adaptations often are, but regardless these manga did get that level of attention.

Himitsu: Top Secret won Award of Excellence at the 15th Japan Media Arts Festival in 2011. and got a live action movie adaptation - that was bad, as manga to movie adaptations often are, but regardless blah blah see above.

Fragile not only had a live action adaptation (that I haven't seen), in 2018 it won the 42nd Kodansha manga award.

Kimi wo shinasenai tame no storia won the 52nd Seiun award just last year.

Birdmen is by the Tanabe Yellow, the author of Kekkaishi (that won the Shogakukan Manga Award in shounen category), so not exactly a noname-nobody. And it has 16 volumes so I'd say it did quite well for itself.

If you haven't heard of Pet Shop of Horrors or Earl Cain that's really more on you and not on the manga, because they were both pretty well-known back when they were being serialized, with Earl Cain being one of the forerunners for the likes of Vanitas or Requiem of the Rose King.

Shi to kanojo to boku, Matiné & Soirée, Adekan or Bakemono yawadzukushi may be lesser known (although Adekan is pretty famous and popular in its own niche, which is "really weird and OTT things happening with pretty boys who like to be romantic with one another") but they're not any more obscure than a whole lot of other stuff that does get adapted and then becomes popular and turns into a franchise, so.

And if you read what I wrote more closely, I wasn't saying that there were only reboots and revivals getting made. I was lamenting the creeping trend of nostalgia train/old & popular franchise reboots. Yes, there's anime based on newer works, or original stuff getting made, too - but I'd like to see even more of that, and even more adaptations of works that aren't paint-by-the-numbers whatever-is-the-current-trend genre stuff. And not revivals and reboots of old franchises that already had their runs and were popular enough at the time. That is simply my opinion, no-one is obligated to agree.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:06 pm Reply with quote
When it gets a broadcast dub I'll check it out.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:12 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

And if you read what I wrote more closely, I wasn't saying that there were only reboots and revivals getting made. I was lamenting the creeping trend of nostalgia train/old & popular franchise reboots. Yes, there's anime based on newer works, or original stuff getting made, too - but I'd like to see even more of that, and even more adaptations of works that aren't paint-by-the-numbers whatever-is-the-current-trend genre stuff. And not revivals and reboots of old franchises that already had their runs and were popular enough at the time. That is simply my opinion, no-one is obligated to agree.

Then I don't see this trend anywhere, because when I look at this season preview guide, last few preview guides, or even recent announcements, almost all I see is adaptations of currently running or recently completed manga or LNs, plus sequel seasons. How are nostalgia adaptations replacing newer works?

If there's anything that is lacking it's more originals, in this I agree, but adaptations of old but popular stuff are even more rare, enough that we can just be happy they're still being done at all, instead of criticizing it for taking space that it really doesn't. Adaptations of current trendy genre, or gacha game advertisements are overcrowding the seasons, not old reboots, and I would love more original stuff instead of it, but having 6 or so isekai anime each season isn't really connected to nostalgia, on the contrary, just pure cash grab. And if you ignore the half of the list that is isekai or SoL adaptation, there are plenty of anime each season that are very much not paint-by-numbers you want, like Tricorned Window.

TL;DR I really don't see this trend of reboots of old anime in the lists of seasonal anime.

PS: Thanks for summaries on the manga and books you mentioned, but after reading them I don't see how are they any newer and/or less nostalgic then vast majority of current adaptations.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:54 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

I personally don't consider these the same situations as Hollywood reboots and remakes. Most American reboots and remakes have little to no resemblance to the properties they're remaking. For example, the recent Bel Air remake bares zero comparability to the original Fresh Prince of Bel Air show and I agree are lazy and don't need to exist. But anime remakes are generally done because there's more content still left to adapt. Spice & Wolf has material from the light-novel that the original anime never covered, so I don't
see it as bad to continue or make a new adaption or continue the old anime adaption of it.
BasketBalljones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:05 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
SHD wrote:

I personally don't consider these the same situations as Hollywood reboots and remakes. Most American reboots and remakes have little to no resemblance to the properties they're remaking. For example, the recent Bel Air remake bares zero comparability to the original Fresh Prince of Bel Air show and I agree are lazy and don't need to exist. But anime remakes are generally done because there's more content still left to adapt. Spice & Wolf has material from the light-novel that the original anime never covered, so I don't
see it as bad to continue or make a new adaption or continue the old anime adaption of it.

And it has a lot of material at that (only 4 of the first 5 out of 17 LNs were adapted). Not only that, but it has a follow up series (Spring Log) that is recent and a spinoff as well, so it's completely relevant in the LN world right now. It's still quite popular, and something tons of people have been wanting for a long time and continue to ask for. It is more than deserving of receiving a new anime, in whatever capacity they choose to show it. The point that person is making is fine, but I agree with most people here that it's not relevant at all to Spice & Wolf, so it feels like a conversation for another thread really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4