• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Anime Streams on Hulu in U.S., Disney+ Internationally

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:27 pm Reply with quote
^Disney (the company in the US) hasn't either hence the need to segregate age rated content into separate aps like Hulu.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
RR529

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
^Disney (in the US) hasn't either hence the need to segregate age rated content into seperate aps.

I was under the impression that they're planning on absorbing Hulu into Disney+ in the future, they just can't until Comcast (who owns 30-40% of Hulu) sells them their shares (Comcast's contract is up in a year or two).

- It seems like all mature Marvel content is either being moved to, or releasing only on, Disney+. Deadpool 1/2, Logan, the Netflix shows, I've heard the upcoming Zombies series is aiming for TV-MA rating.

- Certain Hulu shows are streaming on Disney+ in addition to Hulu (the Orville).

- I think I've heard that Disney has yet to put any of their non-fox mature content (the Touchstone pictures label films) on Hulu.

Seems to me they're already inching closer to shutting down Hulu when they get the chance.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
RR529 wrote:
It's astonishing the number of people online I've seen freaking out over this like Disney is going to "censor" it (particularly on YouTube).

Do these people not know that all Hulu content (Sons of Anarchy, American Crime Story, American Horror Story, Family Guy, etc.) are all available uncensored on Disney+ outside the States?

Since Hulu is Viz's official streaming partner, I'd assume all the other anime they license (like InuYasha) is on Disney+ outside the US as well, no?

They haven't shaken off the "Disney is totally family friendly" mindset entirely.

I don't use Disney+ but given the fact that Disney+ has and at times does censor some of its catalog, I don't necessarily fault them for thinking Disney+ would censor this "Bleach" series.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

I don't use Disney+ but given the fact that Disney+ has and at times does censor some of its catalog, I don't necessarily fault them for thinking Disney+ would censor this "Bleach" series.
People also complain about Sony and Crunchyroll censoring anime too so I'm not sure why people think they would be somehow different if they got Bleach. In 98% of cases of modern anime being censored on streaming it's because it was censored on Japanese broadcast and the other 2% is kids shows like Pokemon and Yugioh but people still act like we're in the 4Kids era of anime dubbing or something.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Adv193 wrote:
At least Hulu is the place to watch both series. Outside of Hulu, the only other legal options are the DVD or English dub digital releases of the anime. For the Bleach movies, they can only be purchased through the aforementioned methods.

Indeed; it apparently wasn't [until now] reported on ANN, but the original 2004-12 Bleach series is no longer streaming on Crunchyroll. While we can't expect all licenses to last forever, its still a shame to see this series vanish from CR, after it was one of the first major titles they had when they went legitimate.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Indeed; it apparently wasn't reported on ANN, but the original 2004-12 Bleach series is no longer streaming on Crunchyroll. While we can't expect all licenses to last forever, its still a shame to see this series vanish from CR, after it was one of the first major titles they had when they went legitimate.

The linked article reported on it:

The article wrote:
Crunchyroll and Tubi TV are no longer streaming the original series, but Hulu is streaming the series.
Adv193

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:56 pm Reply with quote
At least it is better to have Bleach to available on at least one streaming service, as for example ever since it got axed by Netflix, there is no current legal method available for the original 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist series in the United States.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Adv193 wrote:
At least it is better to have Bleach to available on at least one streaming service, as for example ever since it got axed by Netflix, there is no current legal method available for the original 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist series in the United States.

It wasn't "axed by Netflix," Aniplex just has no desire to license out the original series. We had the same thing happen with Brotherhood until fan backlash caused them to renew their license with Funimation.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:41 am Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
Adv193 wrote:

It wasn't "axed by Netflix," Aniplex just has no desire to license out the original series. We had the same thing happen with Brotherhood until fan backlash caused them to renew their license with Funimation.

Sadly, that ended up being the fate of most of what Aniplex declined to renew. There was the odd physical release (at an AoA premium) here or there, but most of it just went poof. Why that was preferable to getting at least some payment for renewal is beyond me.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Sadly, that ended up being the fate of most of what Aniplex declined to renew. There was the odd physical release (at an AoA premium) here or there, but most of it just went poof. Why that was preferable to getting at least some payment for renewal is beyond me.

Could be some long-term Disney Vault type of plan. I imagine there's still some sort of non-compete clause that states that only Funimation (Now CrunchyRoll) could sell the discs for x amount of time after its release and while Aniplex didn't renew their distribution license, CR's still beholden to that agreement.

That's just my theory, though, since I can't imagine another reason that there hasn't been a re-release since. However, it should be noted that Kaguya-sama is insanely popular, and Aniplex has only released the first season on Blu Ray...and made it exclusive to RightStuf...at like 3x the normal price. So maybe looking for sense with Aniplex is a mistake.
bldragon41

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:03 pm Reply with quote
So when would the eng dub of this be aired? I’m sorry if this is a dumb question
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4