• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: CODA: Anime, Manga Piracy Cost Industry Around 2 Trillion Yen in 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:21 am Reply with quote
The access argument seems like a non-starter. Pirating when you don't have access is very close to a victim-less crime, and to the extent it's not it requires a lot of conjecture and speculation.

I say that despite that most of the justifications for piracy feel like defensive rhetoric to me. e.g., I am guessing a very low percentage of people pushing the 'but animators are poorly compensated anyway' argument actively donate to anime artists through other means, like the animators' dormitory. But crusading against people who legitimately don't have access (whether due to region or being very low income, etc) feels like it accomplishes nothing (and maybe even actively harms sales, by reducing the show's word-of-mouth reach) even if you do convince a very rare person or two.
nemuyoake

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:58 am Reply with quote
People who have no ethics will always find an excuse to pirate. Publishers don't have to make their releases available worldwide, they have this right, but consumers have to abide the law and read/watch only what they can buy/pay for. There is no other legal/morale/ethic way. Period. You pirate because you can do it without being caught, that's all. If you got a big fine/jail time for every pirated work you enjoyed, you'd stop pirating right away.

No victim? The authors are the victims because their works are consumed without them getting compensated for it. If not the authors, the right holders. They have the right to do whatever they want with the work, even if it prevents some readers/watchers from enjoying these works.

One person who pirated a work doesn't mean that this person would have paid for it, but at least this person wouldn't have enjoyed the work without the author's/right holders' consent if pirating wasn't available.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:45 am Reply with quote
most or all of these calculations are based on vistits counting , which is hilarious on its own .
and i'm telling u , middle east alone has at least millions who pirate because of weak currency , now tell me how many millions watch anime / read manga over there in the world excluding third world
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 2:59 pm Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:

But the problem doesn't even start the comittees, it's copyright itself, at the very least how it's being used.
there is a cap on anime projects money value or something and was reported on here . so , workers not getting paid well is committee system of making anime projects fault
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4