• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: I'm in Love with the Villainess

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:56 am Reply with quote
@zfunk

Incest actually happens in real life and so does criminals using (blackmail, threats, and death) people to achieve their ends. Remember the guy with the bomb on his neck, robbing a bank, and the police who just let him get blown apart.

I don't think the author wrote this story, wondering if us Americans are going to have problems with it. I certainly enjoyed the light novels. The light novels must have been popular enough, to get an anime made from them.
Florete

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeeeeaaaah. Much as I love the series overall (I've read every volume of the novels), I'm always the first to admit there's a lot of scuff and baggage to deal with, and this is where it really starts. Plenty of stuff that just has me going, "Omg, Inori, what are you doing?"
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:05 pm Reply with quote
zfunk wrote:
I agree spoiler[And the incest is so unnecessary. You can take that out and nothing has to change. Lene can still be a hostage, and her brother does these things because he loves and cares for his sister in a platonic way, why did we need this. Also makes those two who we are still sympathize with look at in a different way, they are freaks in my eyes, disgusting. ]

I think there ends up being a different dynamic there. If he's doing it just to protect her, he's entirely a victim, if he's doing it to both protect her and get something out of it - something he can't get anywhere else - he's a lot more complicit in it all. Could it have been something else other than incest? Sure, probably, but just removing it wouldn't work as well imo
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:54 pm Reply with quote
At this point I feel like it's all-but-certain we're in for a crap ending here. This pacing is just... wrong. Far too slow for a 1-cour show, far too fast for a 1-cour show. The only way I can see this properly adapting the "main" books is if we get some getting around 16 total episodes.

Maybe a bit fewer if they just cut all of the stuff with Mischa and Yu, I guess.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:20 am Reply with quote
The incest subplot was about forbiden love and was supposed to be a parallel to Rae's lesbianism as bad or good as it sounds. IMHO they should have committed to withe make it normal sibling love which would have worked well enough, or just go all the way and show the siblings kissing or smt, and definitely add a good scene of the maid having conflicting feelings about he betrayal..let alone make the brother matter at all.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:34 am Reply with quote
If you want a case where some liberties could have been taken, I'd say this arc is a good example. Because yeah, that incest plot was unnecessary, and Lene got more of an emotional send-off in the end. Every effort I've seen from Platinum Vision so far is that, "yup, let's just adapt as it is" which means the original light novel source has to do the heavy lifting.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:37 am Reply with quote
The whole commoners - nobles struggle thing will get back later in the story, but this anime has a very odd pace (they finished LN volume 1 this episode). So unless we get a sequel of sort, we won't get to it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
The whole commoners - nobles struggle thing will get back later in the story, but this anime has a very odd pace (they finished LN volume 1 this episode). So unless we get a sequel of sort, we won't get to it.

Wait, the anime just finished adapting all of Vol. 1? Are there enough episodes for Vol. 2 or are they going to just finish it with that "love rival" arc?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:30 pm Reply with quote
It's possible this is gonna end up being a split cour that will get announced as this first cour ends
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:52 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Nachtwandler wrote:

Wait, the anime just finished adapting all of Vol. 1? Are there enough episodes for Vol. 2 or are they going to just finish it with that "love rival" arc?

This is exactly what I am talking about. They will adapt the arc about Raes rivalry with Manaria and, maybe, a bit more, and end the season there. The adaptation of remaining of vol. 2 and this story arc depends on if we get a sequel in any form.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I've no idea where they're going with the pacing on this. The obvious thing would have been to adapt the first two LNs in a single cour. They're a nice, self-contained story, and the later volumes can get a bit divisive (the final one in particular). But they've used most of the runtime for a 1-cour show adapting the first LN and don't seem to have left themselves enough room for the second, which is denser on the plot-points than the first. That entire episode spent on the magical battle tournament is feeling like a really strange choice now.

Unless they're planning something odd like running over the normal 1-cour length by a couple of episodes, or finishing adapting the second LN in OVAs, I'm not sure how they land this now without making a hell of a mess. They've even put themselves in a really weird position where even if there's a surprise second season announcement, that likely only takes them to the end of the third LN, which would be a poor choice of stopping point.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:
IThey've even put themselves in a really weird position where even if there's a surprise second season announcement, that likely only takes them to the end of the third LN, which would be a poor choice of stopping point.

If we do get a second season, it will likely keep the slow pace and adapt only Vol. 2. As you said, it is densier than Vol. 1.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:25 pm Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
Rogueywon wrote:
IThey've even put themselves in a really weird position where even if there's a surprise second season announcement, that likely only takes them to the end of the third LN, which would be a poor choice of stopping point.

If we do get a second season, it will likely keep the slow pace and adapt only Vol. 2. As you said, it is densier than Vol. 1.

Still 12 episode for 2/3 (or even 3/4) of vol. 2 is to much. They can comfortably cover the remaining story in like 6 episodes with the same pace.

Last edited by Nachtwandler on Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:42 am Reply with quote
Was "...catnip for lesbians" in the review a callback to a certain line in the Girls Bravo dub?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Either way, not only is that sequence one of the funniest bits from a show full of great jokes, but it's also a testament to a very particular character trope in visual novels: the stalwartly loyal best friend who's constantly helping the hapless player along in their quest for romance.

I have almost no experience with romance games of any kind, and I have to wonder -- how much is this a thing in visual novels? The one example I know where it's played straight (if you'll pardon me using the word "straight" anywhere near the vicinity of WataOshi) is Yoshio Saotome from Tokimeki Memorial 1, per that six-hour Tim Rogers review. That's a dating sim, though, and not the sort of game we usually mean by "visual novel". Monokuma plays a similar role in the postgame dating sim modes in Danganronpa.

I only know Key games via KyoAni, but I have a hard time imagining Youhei Sunohara playing any kind of wingman role. I've no experience with Leaf beyond half-paying attention when my college anime club was showing Utawarerumono. There's no character like that in Muv-Luv Extra, which I'm playing right now. So… is it just a thing seen in TokiMemo and its more direct successors?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6