• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
MAJOR MAJOR Naruto news!!!! (viz version)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lledra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Yaywhoo!! to the awesome coolness of this!!!

I can hardly wait for it.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I still think they're overdoing it, but I guess that if it's to help promote Shippuuden, it's worth it. The only problem is that this probably means that Viz and Toonami are indeed planning to show the fillers. *sigh*
Asako

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, if they're releasing it this fast maybe I will start to pick it up. I mean, that's usually why I wait before buying. I just don't want to be stuck at a cliffhanger and wait half a year to read the next. Smile

I actually don't mind Viz too much, I like them better than Tokyopop.
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Okay, I still think they're overdoing it, but I guess that if it's to help promote Shippuuden, it's worth it. The only problem is that this probably means that Viz and Toonami are indeed planning to show the fillers. *sigh*

I thought it would more likely mean they wouldn't. That if they start putting time-jump manga in Jump, they would want to compliment that with the simultaneous release of the anime - the dubbed anime would be in the middle/end of spoiler[Sasuke retreival] by Christmas, right?

Or maybe it's just wishful thinking of my part. I'm just so overjoyed with the news Anime smile

Last edited by kolibri on Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
I thought it would more likely mean they wouldn't. That if they start putting time-jump manga in Jump, they would want to compliment that with the simultaneous release of the anime

Well, the way I interpreted it was that because the fillers are coming, they need to start seriously upping the promotion of the time jump to keep people interested.

But of course, I could be wrong. I seriously hope I'm wrong. Either way, I too am excited to see them get to that part of the series in the first place, though, even if it means they have to go at such a ridiculous pace to make it happen. Very Happy

Quote:
- the dubbed anime would be in the middle/end of spoiler[Sasuke retreival] by Christmas, right?

Sorry sis, but you kind of forgot to follow you're own rule there about spoilers there. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Anyways, I've actually calculated this out, and I came up with spoiler[Tsunade becoming Hokage] by September, the filler about Kakashi's mask and the race arc (which I think they'll have to do because of spoiler[Sasuke's flashback in the hospital room from that arc where Naruto does that awesome thing with the Rasengan]) during the end of September and throughout October, and November and December both getting thespoiler[ Sasuke Retrieval arc] started with it ending about this time next year, so yeah, you're right about that.

Now that I think about it, it probably is more likely that it's a way to have it release at the same time as the anime. I wonder if they'll speed up the serialization as well to keep up with the volumes.
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Somebody just slap me.

BrothersElric wrote:
Anyways, I've actually calculated this out,

Well done Smile

I wonder who separate the manga and dub anime watching groups are... Becasue this means they'll publish the manga well ahead the anime for the last pre-time-jump storyarc... I'm just so lucky that I wasn't spoiled when watching that, because I kept believing till the last moment that it would turn out opposite than it did... damn, it nearly killed me Razz
Daedalus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading this thread and had to join so I could respond as I saw some of the standard misinformation and hater filled comments that exist sometimes on these manga boards.

Let's remember..whether you're a fan of naruto or not this is good news as it means any manga you support COULD be given similar treatment and help to end the silly and crazy self-imposed lag between japan and America. I remember when I 1st got started in entertainment professionally and wondered why things like videogame titles had to wait so long to come to America..eventually the silliness ended when they realized that it was more expensive to support key titles from publishers differntly in different markets and instead was more beneficial to release content more globally more simultaneously.

Couple of thoughts on naruto announcement...

1. I am a fan and think this is good news..it's ridiculous for a manga that si having unprecendented success to be held to a quarterly schedule...try telling Marvel to do that to X-men and/or Spiderman and watch how quickly you get laughed out of their offices.

2. To the critics who think this won't work...how do you know this? What proof do you have or are you truly just throwing it out there without thinking? Please consider two things... Sept- Dec. is Q4 x-mas buying and for most entertainment industries it's where 35-60% of their revenue is generated. In other words, if you're in the book business and you have new books to hawk -- hawk them in Q4 if you wish to truly hit or exceed your numbers. Secondly, I'm not sure why people make the argument about money--I personally buy 6-7 manga a month and before that I used to spend $20 $50 mo on comicbooks/TPB so...this is not a new phenomenon. If you're on this board and writing about anime/ manga as well then most likely you are one of these people as well. Lastly, this isn't being done for you if you're not a Naruto fan....if you're not then this means nothing to you but if you're someone which numbers show is thousands of young kids and adults are buying Naruto every month and even more when a new volume releases. To these people, they are not concerned that the latest Broccoli, Del Rey, Tokyopop and even other Viz titles' are coming out (apologies to those I didn't mention..personally I read manga from just about every manga company out there) they just want more of what they read and I don't see how anyone on this board can honestly say that this is going to fail because of the money factor or the practicality of the release schedule. I might be inclined to agree with some facts but right now just sounds like arm chair quarterbacking.

3. What increased Naruto will mean for bookshelf--- well on this front I agree. I wholeheartedly agree. But, then again,..I'm not sure what that means, We live in a free market economy...Borders, barnes and Nobles and comic shops have the right to stock mostly what their consumers want and the fact of the matter is that naruto clearly outranks all other manga right now. If I was a small publisher..sure I'd hate it but what are you going to do? Webstores and comicshops hopefully can help stem the tide during these months but it will b tough. The good news is that naruto is attracting many new faces to manga and if this approach works well then it will mean many more occurences of people who were introduced to that section of the store now curling the ailes opposite Naruto to see what else is out there. I know my girlfriend always starts next to whatever I'm buying and through that maybe some women and mature readers will gravitate from naruto to Monster by Naoki Urasawa. Besides if you want to blame limited shelf space..blame Dragonball...I swear..I do not understand why that book is still maintained on shelves..yes it was important for anime in America but if it's the best representation of the genre this many years later we're in trouble..I think most mature manga fans would agree if you were to introduce people to the power of manga that Death Note, Fruits Baskets, Ruruouni Kenshin and Naoki Urasawa's Monster would best fit bill.

4. The industry desperately NEEDS this--- I read scanlations. I read them alot. I just celebrated a year of reading naruto shippuden level plot regularly. I work in entertainment and do well so I still buy Viz or Del Rey translations even though I've read the work a long time ago. Unfortunately, many people who are great fans, great supporters of manga/ anime do not have my budget and do not have my resources. Maybe they live in a town where manga is not stocked as well or maybe they have many other hobbies/ needs that eat into their manga budget. Regardless, who can blame them for loving something so much they routinely bit torrent and hold on to manga. NOBODY! Not the creators..not the publishers and not the fan community. Instead..what should happen is companies should stop trying to censor what we get and do more release schedules like this to support legal buying of books. Personally, I would like to see this done to One Piece, Inuyasha, Prince of Tennis and for many unlicensed manga that are long like Hajime no Ippo, History's strongest disciple Kenichi and Slam Dunk.

5. Naruto is big...the idea that some have put that it's about to peak is again...lunacy, hater-ish and just lacking any thought whatsoever. Please show me facts! I work in the business and can tell you Naruto shows every sign from ratings, to book sales to toy sells that would suggest it is about to explode in a BIG way. If they were ever to release Naruto theatrically or when this Wii game comes out..I think some of the elite manga fans who feel Naruto is juvenille and or undeserving of its' success will be amazed at how successful and popular it is in the US. fact is is that it currently dwarfs anything anime related which includes One Piece, Avatar and any saturday morning cartoon. I personally like Naruto and don't feel it's for kids...major characters have died, kids drink and smoke and the unexpected has happened so frequently that one has to wonder if Naruto will actually die in the end. Not many uber popular manga actually evoke destiny, betrayal and sacrifice more than this.

6. Naruto Shippuden is coming. to US...not sure what it will be called but my guess and understanding is that the FILLER WILL BE SHOWN -- daily -- or stripped as we say and Naruto will pick up more mainstream fans and midway through this blowout (remember a season is 65 episodes) Shippuden (not sure if that will be name) will come after a few manga volumes have been released (most likely 6-7). This may seem overkill-ish but hey what are you going to do..they have content and anime drives this business over manga..animes are like ads for the original manga.

Regardless, I think this is a wise move and can only pray it gets done for other equally deserving series.

Take care..and keep reaching for the stars!
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
...can I please go clobber whoever at Viz decided this? I'd prefer seeing Godchild come out a little faster than...2 A YEAR. If they could speed up both Naruto and Godchild, that would be one thing, but I'm beginning to get angry with Viz treating Naruto like royalty and putting other things on the backburner as a result D<.

But I guess this is good news for the Naruto fans that actually buy their manga.
oslapedo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I was laughing when I read the press release thingy. They sorta make it sound like Naruto-mania will take over the world. I fear the day when we are all brain washed narutards. Wait... we ARE Narutards Sad

I ramble. 3 a month is too much for me. I don't know if I feel like only buying Naruto manga for a couple months... Confused
Kisa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:58 am Reply with quote
i think i might have to buy a new bookcase by the end of this series. but im happy to buy the books even though there are three out nearly every month starting in september.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4