• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Takes Over Geneon's Sales, Marketing, Distribution

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Yes, you are paranoid, I can see that. Razz
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
> How many people post at ANN or similar places on a daily basis? Maybe 70-100 combined. I assure that magazines reach far more people.

Fair enough.

> Believe it or not, not all anime fans check the internet regularly for anime news.

I totally agree. I couldn't agree more. There are plenty of fans like this. Arguably this even makes up the majority. However, the question is...exactly how many of "this type" of anime fan (checking the internet for news is not allowed, downloading fansubs is not allowed) buys a lot of those magazines? Do you know of any?

Most of "this type" of anime fan, such as myself and musashi1600, also do not buy those magazines.

> That's why Newtype USA and Anime Insider aren't filing for bankruptcy.

This I will disagree with. You cannot use the "success" (or at least non-bankruptcy) of the anime mags as proof that the readers are using them to decide what they purchase and what they do not. This only proves that some people buy these mags. But for what reason, and what kind of people are buying the mags (which "type" of anime fan)...there is no data.

> Those types of fans are far more numerous than the 'hardcore' fans who check the internet daily for news and they are the ones that really matter for success.

You could easily be right. I admitted that I could be wrong. So that's why I ask you. Do you know of ANY fans who rely completely on the magazines for news? Downloading of fansubs is not allowed, checking the internet is not allowed, etc. I don't know a single person like this. I know people who buy the mags, but they also happen to be otakus that utilize the internet. But it could be that where I live is a strange place and everywhere else in the USA is nothing like over here.

> And your the only one that buys a 'reasonable amount' of anime? How self absorbed can you be?

I said "reasonable amount" + "never downloaded a fansub before". Even on that I was wrong, as musashi1600 said. That's fine with me. But neither of us buys those mags.

> The F/SN is further example of Geneon's laziness when it comes to previews. They just used the Curtain Raiser trailer from Japan and didn't even bother subtitling it so people could understand anything.

I agree, the F/SN example is an example of both good and bad at the same time. It is good because the trailer itself is extremely good. Yet it is bad because it shows ultra laziness as you said.

At the same time, ADVision trailers have showed similar phenomena. There are some that are OP's and are ultra lazy (and tend to be good). And there are others that show effort but in my opinion are awful trailers (annoying ADV dub VAs saying stupid things...and edited video centering around girls' boobs and butts, etc). In the past I've had a preference for Geneon trailers but it varies from trailer to trailer and over time as well (as of late Geneon has been very lazy as you noted).

> There's a hell of a lot of people buying anime DVDs that don't watch fansubs, don't use the internet to find out all their anime information, and use magazines quite a bit. And they make up the majority of the purchasing power.

How do you know this? Are there lots of people like this around you? There's no one like that around me. Like I said though, take away the "and use magazines" part and there are TONS of people like that. In that much, I agree. Take away any other part and there are probably TONS too. But I see no one with all 3 factors combined. Also, I should re-emphasize that my personal requirements on how much internet use is too much is fairly strict....almost NO downloading of fansubs is allowed (except maybe like if you downloaded 1 or 2, and that was 5 years ago, for example), etc. Watching fansubs other people have downloaded is also not allowed. Even having friends who download a reasonable amount of fansubs is not allowed if you talk to them too much (because you can gain information from them through talking).

> Why do you think that someone like yourself represents the majority by any stretch of the imagination?

I don't represent the majority at all. I'm only speaking of who fits all 3 criteria and who doesn't. I don't fit the criteria and I've never seen anyone else who has. Neither has musashi1600 (that's what he/she seemed to say).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I could be wrong, but the only regular poster on this entire board who never downloads anime but buys a reasonable amount of anime is probably me, and I never read those mags...
daxomni? ManOfRust? LydiaDianne? Randall Miyashiro? nessfreak? Mohawk52? Richard J? (<--has pledged to stop watching fansubs, anyway) Keonyn?
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm very wrong then. Smile That's fine. Sorry if what I said seems to offend a bit. Randall I had actually suspected even though he never said anything. In any case, saying what I did helped me find out which other users don't watch fansubs, that was another reason I said it (I was curious).

Now, if any of those users also comes here and says they buy the anime mags, that would be interesting (Randall wouldn't count though, he buys too much I think therefore breaking a different criteria).
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

They'll probably do that, but it won't be just that. It means they are in charge of ALL marketing, so they will handle all of the advertisements from the ground up. They will also handle other marketing aspects that may not be quite so visible. They will also be in charge of distribution, which means that they will be in charge of getting Geneon's products to the stores.

I wonder if that includes prices as well. I can almost imagine a Geneon DVD title on Best Buy costing only $19.99 like all the other ADV's DVDs. Anywho, if ADV gets their hand on the marketing aspects of it, I wonder if we're going to get BETTER TRAILERS this time. Using creditless OP sequences DOES NOT constitute as a trailer. Mad

I'm not sorry to see they're having problems. a lot of people who I meet in Best Buy and talk with say they too stay clear of Genon dvds.

if prices whent down (on a seris I kind of wanted to get into) i'd be happy.
I stopped buying Genon titles because they're too much (I buy in stores only for now, when i go to school i'm able to purchase online) money. Compared to the others I can pay anywhere from $9.99-$22.49 to get a dvd. Genon dvds are always above that. ($9.99 is the first Peach Girl Funi dvd)

Out of my (rough) 7 dvds per month Funi and ADV make up the list. if it did they'd get a lot more bussiness from me,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Well Geneon hasn't really been advertising their new titles from what I see except for a few. Why did they stop putting up to 9 trailers on their DVDs and are now only doing 3 per disk? I wonder if this will change how Geneon handles Extras, since they rarely put any on their DVDs.

Hasn't Geneon had some issues with sales lately? I remember their limited edition sets of Paradise Kiss were cancelled.

I hope Geneon isn't in any trouble, they usually give really great quality products despite a few lacking areas.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
daxomni? ManOfRust? LydiaDianne? Randall Miyashiro? nessfreak? Mohawk52? Richard J? (<--has pledged to stop watching fansubs, anyway) Keonyn?

I *guess* they rely on ANN much more so than printed magazines for anime news and information.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sango_Lover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I have never downloaded a fansub, I buy around 3 titles a month, and I also buy anime mags(usually Newtype, but occassionally others) I actually chose my last couple of anime titles soley base on the fact that I say them in adds.
NessFreaK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Porcupine wrote:
I could be wrong, but the only regular poster on this entire board who never downloads anime but buys a reasonable amount of anime is probably me, and I never read those mags...

Wow, im shocked that someone who posts as little as me even gets thought of by you mega forum god types. Im honored :O

My 311 dvd collection is nothing compared so some peoples... but ya i will never download anime.

I did buy a couple issues of Anime insider when i was first getting into anime a few years back, but once i found ANN, RS, AoDVD, etc they became my source for classic, current and upcoming titles.

As for the news... I have mixed feelings about this. Because i love geneons titles as a whole -- last exile, heat guy j, R.O.D, gungrave, haibane, the list goes on and on. ADV tho -- they have struck a nerve with me with their "we'll license anything -- cause anime fans are suckers" mentality. And the new EVA boxset just shows how screwy they are. I know its just distribution and advertising, but i guess seeing ADV on anything but Kino's Journey will, at the very least, slow my purchase.

I think that for the few people who arnt hardcore anime fans and dont know the titles this may help a little, but, unless im mistaken, anime fans tend to be obsessive. And as for converting download-only hypocrites into people who care about anime... i dont think this will be enough.

So as a whole I cant see this move generating a whole lot more sales for geneon / pioneer. At the same time though, i dont think it will hurt.

Heres for better geneon previews!

and more us production commentaries!
(Does anyone else like them as much as i do? Razz)

Oh i forgot to mention, anime is starting to creep into my provice (New Brunswick), its went from next to nothing to a moderate selection of modern titles. While we dont get new releases on the day or anything, they are there. However, I've been to all the stores and there are next to no geneon or adv dvds, bandai and funimation dominate. I dont think thats its market research saying they sell better, because ... adv and geneon havnt been here at all. So it must be that bandai and funi are cheaper to buy wholesale. In smaller areas like mine, perhaps this deal will at least make stores consider stocking them?

Last edited by NessFreaK on Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
child of Lilith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I’m glad ADV wont have anything to do with the dubing of Geneon’s titles. For my money Geneon has always but out the best dubs. They seem far more willing to create dubs that stick closer to the original dialog then ADV and especially Funimation.

As for the question asked by Porcupine earlier about wither or not New Type USA was biased in favor of ADV titles, the answer is yes and no. They give good reviews to ADV titles but they also give good reviews to everything in their magazine no mater what it is or how bad it is. Before anyone starts calling me a hater let me tell you I get their magazine every month myself. It’s a good source of information but you have to take what they say with a grain of salt.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Man somebody at Geneon must have been totally owned in a poker game or something. What the heck?

Geneon can't possibly be going under or anything with all the trainloads of money they're making from awesome stuff like Black Lagoon, Ergo Proxy, Fate/Stay Night, When They Cry, Hellsing Ultimate, etc, so that can't be it. I wonder if we're going to see a merger or something soon.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
> That's why Newtype USA and Anime Insider aren't filing for bankruptcy.

This I will disagree with. You cannot use the "success" (or at least non-bankruptcy) of the anime mags as proof that the readers are using them to decide what they purchase and what they do not. This only proves that some people buy these mags. But for what reason, and what kind of people are buying the mags (which "type" of anime fan)...there is no data.

It doesn't matter for what reason you buy a magazine. The ads are not there to influence you to make a purchasing decision on the spot. Ads exist to put into your mind the suggestion that a certain title will be good. Every time I read through the latest Newtype many of the ads catch my attention, whether they be by the artwork or the series portrayed. You would probably say that simply catching my attention is not what an ad is for, but let's analyze that with an example of an ad from another industry.

When, say, Ford puts an ad for the new model of F-350 in a magazine, what do you think is the goal? Are they trying to make you buy a new car right on the spot? Hell no. Normal people buy cars once every four or five years, and I'd say that's a low estimate. No, the point is to put the thought into the person's head, so that when they do buy that car, they will think "Oh, I've seen that before. I think I'll test-drive it." Hopefully they'll enjoy the product, and if they do, then hopefully they'll buy it.

Granted, automobiles are different than DVDs, but that makes the adverts for anime more lucrative. Take this scenario. A college student has just read his new magazine through. He's skimmed past ads for, say, Haruhi, GunxSword, and Fate/Stay Night. Now, he has a little extra cash from his parents back home, just enough for one DVD, two if there's a half-off sale somewhere. This guy goes to Suncoast's anime section. They've had a busy week, so their shelves are kind of empty. One show catches his eye that he hasn't heard of before: Boogiepop, which is on-sale, and right beside it, misplaced, he sees vol. 1 of F/SN at regular price. At this time, the student decides to make a purchase. We have a few choices here, some of which I'll illustrate.

1) He buys Fate
2) He buys Boogiepop
3) He buys one and makes a note to come back for the other one day
4) He decides instead to go buy a new film release he's wanted to see for a while

Before any of these choices, or the multitude of others, are even made, the ad has succeeded. Why? Because he noticed Fate with no other stimulus aside from the ad, and possibly that it was misplaced (I, personally, always notice those, but I'm not sure about anyone else). Even if he didn't go with choice 1, he made a mental note of its existence, one that possibly influenced his future buying decisions. Tada, the ad has done its job, and part of whatever Geneon paid to have that ad run in that particular magazine was spent well.

On a somewhat different topic, I actually do not see how ADV handling Geneon's ads hurts either company one bit. It's not like we're dealing with Coke and Pepsi, here. The products they put out tend to be entirely different, and even their similar titles (like, say, Gungrave and MADLAX) are different enough to warrant viewing by two different audiences, so the adverts for either company would not likely interfere with the other's sales.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Sango_Lover wrote:
I have never downloaded a fansub, I buy around 3 titles a month, and I also buy anime mags(usually Newtype, but occassionally others) I actually chose my last couple of anime titles soley base on the fact that I say them in adds.

I also brought several anime because I saw an ad that interest me. The same goes for videogames. Whoever said that people don't buy anime magazine or that ad in anime magazine doesn't help must not taken any business/marketing class in college.

Also the trailer on DVD are very useful to spark interest and get the word out. Fans will watch the trailer after they finish all the episode on the DVD.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Assuming this proves true with official confirmation, I don't think this is anything to be concerned about. After all, FUNi has been farming out some of their dubs to ADV for a while now, and they could certainly be considered competitors. So why doesn't ADV sabotage their dubs for FUNi? Simple: it's business, and they don't want to hurt their own reputation in the process. If ADV were to take advantage of the situation and undercut Geneon to promote their own licenses instead it would not only be unprofessional but ultimately bad for business, since they'd have a harder time of arranging such (for them) cash-friendly deals in the future.

It's certainly possible that Geneon could be struggling a bit, but it's just as likely that Geneon is just streamlining their operations for efficiency's sake. As others have noted, their advertising efforts of late have suffered, and they certainly don't have in-house dubbing capabilities. Doesn't sound like their distribution has been all that great, either, so they're probably just retooling to focus solely on licensing and production efforts. I would, in fact, be quite surprised to ultimately discover that this is the first step towards any kind of merger.

Porcupine wrote:
In my opinion the Geneon trailers are far better than the ADVision trailers. The Geneon trailers have been inconsistent, with some just being OPs as you said, but not always. ADVision trailers have been inconsistent with some being OPs also. Overall I have liked the Geneon trailers much more. ADVision trailers tend to have the annoying ADV dub VAs speaking stupid lines over them, and they tend to focus on stupid things like breasts and butts for no good reason. Some of the Geneon trailers have been really good. . .

To be fair, the "voice over" complaint should also be directed at FUNi, too, as they've done that with some of their titles. (Negima immediately springs to mind.) And actually, the best anime trailer I've seen so far this year was one of ADV's (their first trailer for Le Chevalier d'Eon).

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Geneon is "minor"? I've never understood this "big three". It's the "big four": ADV, Funi, Geneon, and Bandai Ent. All of them are the big boys in the industry. Though Bandai seems to be less active these days.

Really, there's only one truly "big" anime company right now, and that's FUNimation; as they're always fond of bragging about at 'cons, their anime market share - currently above 30%, I believe - is more than half again that of the next-biggest company. Beyond them there's three other companies lumped closely together, probably ADV, Geneon, and Viz. (Fans tend to forget about them because they only license a handful of titles, but the ones they do license are big ones.) Bandai Entertainment is probably the next step down, then Anime Works, then the minor current licensors like RightStuf, AN Entertainment, the hentai-specializing companies, and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

child of Lilith wrote:
I’m glad ADV wont have anything to do with the dubing of Geneon’s titles. For my money Geneon has always but out the best dubs. They seem far more willing to create dubs that stick closer to the original dialog then ADV and especially Funimation.

Obviously you haven't listened to the dubs they've been farming out to Odex Private Ltd., the Singapore-based dubbing company.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DClark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
I was thinking about the reasoning behind the move, and I think this may be at least partially because of the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray format war.

Brick and mortar stores have a finite amount of shelf space, and while anime DVDs before only had to contend with other DVDs, now a blockbuster movie may have up to three versions on the shelf (a DVD, a Blu-Ray, and an HD-DVD), taking away two slots that previously would have been used for other DVDs. The HD-DVD and Blu-Ray sections don't come without a price, and that price is a reduced shelf space for other niche products (like anime DVDs).

If ADV and Geneon team up, it should improve their chances of keeping more product (from both companies) on the store shelves by giving retailers a wider selection of material each week, and a consistent pace for the various releases. As a bonus, it should also save them money by combining the two operations into one.

Last edited by DClark on Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11