• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Gets Indian Summer Anime, Five Live-Action Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
AyaReiko wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Macross Frontier can't be licensed due to many reasons. But stuff like Library War, Real Drive, Allison & Lillia, Daughter of Twenty Faces, Kaiba, Kanokon, Bartender, Moyashimon, ef - a tale of memories, Rosario + Vampire, and others.

And KimiAru, Bamboo Blade, Minami-ke, CLANNAD, Potemayo, D.C., Manabi Straight!, Hidamari Sketch, Myself;Yourself, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, School Days, Spice and Wolf...

Face it, if those six is the best ADV can license, they are done.
I bet those action flicks pull in more money than the titles you listed.
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
AyaReiko wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Macross Frontier can't be licensed due to many reasons. But stuff like Library War, Real Drive, Allison & Lillia, Daughter of Twenty Faces, Kaiba, Kanokon, Bartender, Moyashimon, ef - a tale of memories, Rosario + Vampire, and others.

And KimiAru, Bamboo Blade, Minami-ke, CLANNAD, Potemayo, D.C., Manabi Straight!, Hidamari Sketch, Myself;Yourself, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, School Days, Spice and Wolf...

I agree. High download numbers as fansub does not mean it sells good - see Rozen Maiden.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, I guess that's true. So they probably licensed the only thing they could afford. Well, I hope they try to whore it out a lot then, otherwise it won't help them at all.

Actually... if they oversell it, and retailers wind up overstocked with unshiftable shit, ADV's goodwill takes a dive and they have to eat all the returns. And, let's be honest, this show isn't going to set the world on fire.

So they probably aren't going to push it too hard. I mean, all the other C-list fanservice shite they shovel out doesn't get that much of a push, can't see this one any different.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
AyaReiko wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Well, sure if they were "action flicks" in the usual sense. But they are bottom-barrel budget soft-core gore flicks that are better suited to ridiculing on MST3K than anything else.
We're not talking GOOD asian cinema with these films. We're talking Troma-style niche audiences.

Now, media-blasters has gotten some traction with "machine-gun girl" and the upcoming tokyo gore-police, but those are sort of the "top of the line" when it comes to low-budget asian gorefest films. Whereas the ones that ADV announced are shlock.
There's a reason that Media blasters didn't license these, as they pick and choose from the live action they think has a market here and they know what they are doing.
I'm not sure if ADV really actually thinks it can do anything with these films other than try and dupe people in the already small audience that likes these sorts of films into thinking these are of the same caliber.
Actually, I suspect it will work in the short term. They might sell a few thousand of them because there's an upswing of interest in the genre. But it won't last long when the consumers realize that this new line from ADV belongs in the dollar bin.

As for the OVA they licensed? Manic over-sexualized robot maids for 3 episodes. Well, it'll sell, I suppose. It's only one volume.
Problem is the market for this type of show is small to begin with and the people who watched it already generally thought it was crap.
Even if this sells 10,000 copies (HA!) it's not going to make a difference in the long run.
You need cash flow... and this isn't going to provide it past 2008.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
AyaReiko: That's Japan's problem, not ADV's problem.

samuel: Who cares if they're crap? That hasn't stopped Uwe Boll from having a career. Wink Also, MB licenses a ton of low-budget mediocrities under their Shriek label, while they sit on the good stuff like Zebraman. As for whether Indian Summer will make money because a few fansubbers hate it, well look how well Shuffle! did for FUNimation.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
AyaReiko: That's Japan's problem, not ADV's problem.

samuel: Who cares if they're crap? That hasn't stopped Uwe Boll from having a career. Wink Also, MB licenses a ton of low-budget mediocrities under their Shriek label, while they sit on the good stuff like Zebraman. As for whether Indian Summer will make money because a few fansubbers hate it, well look how well Shuffle! did for FUNimation.

To be honest the success of Shuffle still confuses me. Perhaps it was the "who wants to see 40 panties in 30 seconds" ad?

Anyway, my point wasn't that these can't sell (I'm sure they were probably almost free licenses with very little to nothing up front), but that this isn't exactly a foundation for a long-term rebuilding plan. This might tide them through till 2009, but it won't provide much income past the initial releases.

After all, you can't release thin-packs when the original is only 1 DVD long (and 3 eps, at that).
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote
True, but hopefully their other deals will come through in the meantime.
pakli1988

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:33 am Reply with quote
ADV Films had licensed Koharu Biyori (Indian Summer) at Otakon recently, but will ADV Films going to license new anime series called Zettai Shougeki ~Platonic Heart~ soon in the future?
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:49 am Reply with quote
I doubt it. According to AniDB.net, Zettai Shougeki is an OVA that won't even be released in Japan until October. North American licensing probably won't happen until at least six months to a year after that. Even when the license is made available, ADV will have to compete with other North American distributors like Funimation and Media Blasters for the rights.
Beruda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
You know all this negativity about ADV is really getting on my nerves. Have any of you who are bashing them own or run this type of business? Do you know anything about licensing? Maybe they are taking a chance on these titles but so does any company that licenses anything, even the so called hits. I'm sure they did their research and are not just buying them for the hell of it.

Just because some people don't like these titles doesn't mean others won't. A person's opinion is only that, one person's opinion. As we've read there are people on this thread who have seen them and some have expressed interest in buying. They are trying to get themselves back on track and these titles may do well enough for them to make some much needed cash.

Some people are never satisfied.

B.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
Why hasn't ANN posted highlights from ADV's panel at Otakon?
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Is 'Attack Girl Swim Team vs. The Undead' also known as Oneechan Bara?

Nope, it's the aforementioned Rebel Girls Force of Competitive Swimmers, and that's the title they should have kept. The chosen title is pretty bland.
AyaReiko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Beruda wrote:
You know all this negativity about ADV is really getting on my nerves. Have any of you who are bashing them own or run this type of business? Do you know anything about licensing? Maybe they are taking a chance on these titles but so does any company that licenses anything, even the so called hits. I'm sure they did their research and are not just buying them for the hell of it.

Just because some people don't like these titles doesn't mean others won't. A person's opinion is only that, one person's opinion. As we've read there are people on this thread who have seen them and some have expressed interest in buying. They are trying to get themselves back on track and these titles may do well enough for them to make some much needed cash.

Some people are never satisfied.

B.

Except the titles ADV did pick up are bottom-of-the-barrel titles, as pointed out many times in this thread. Odds on, these titles are the only ones ADV can afford. But these titles are simply not expected to sell well at all. Any cash earned will only be enough to pay the bills for a couple months or so.

With ADV, there just isn't anything to be positive about.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
On one hand, count me among those disappointed with this announcement. After the "wait until Otakon" announcement from Anime Expo, I was expecting something big. Not a licensing frenzy or anything like that, but just one big announcement to let people know not only that they aren't dead, but are doing relatively well.

On the other hand, I think this is probably the most sensible course of action they could have taken.

samuelp wrote:
Anyway, my point wasn't that these can't sell (I'm sure they were probably almost free licenses with very little to nothing up front), but that this isn't exactly a foundation for a long-term rebuilding plan. This might tide them through till 2009, but it won't provide much income past the initial releases.

I hate to be so blunt, but I think you're wrong. Sure, these titles aren't going to make them a pile of money, but they don't need to. They only have to make enough money to allow them to license something better. To be honest, this sounds a lot like the approach they took when they first started up, and that foundation lasted for 15 years.

You said it yourself, these licenses probably cost them very little, and if they're going the sub only route on the live action, the production costs should also be pretty minimal. That translates to mean that they don't have to sell a lot of discs before they start making a profit off of them.

So in the end, disappointing, yes. But at the same time it gives me some hope that they're back on track since this seems to be the most sound business decision they've made in quite a while.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
roesnail wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
Those live action titles would go well on one of Encore channels. Also, can you think of any major cash cows that aren't licensed already? Gintama is really the only one I can think of. Due to the legal stuff, I'll give ADV the benefit of a doubt on their new partner. They can't announce anything until the deal is finalized. But I do hope they announce something soon.

there is a few cash cows thats unlicensed besides gintama that would do pretty well in the u.s. like soul eater, slayers rev, world destruction, and macross frontier.

i think i might check out this indain summer. hell its only 3 eps and will most likley be $20-30 on one disck. i will not be losing that much money if its bad

But stuff like Library War, Real Drive, Allison & Lillia, Daughter of Twenty Faces, Kaiba, Kanokon, Bartender, Moyashimon, ef - a tale of memories, Rosario + Vampire, and others.

Are you saying that those series will or will not be licensed in the U.S.?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5