• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Clever/Intelligent Character Tourney Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Group A-2
Jummy Kudo/Conan Edogawa, Case Closed/Detective Conan vs.
Yuko Ichihara, xxxHOLiC

Voting For: Yuko Ichihara
Reason: I've only seen bits and pieces of each of the character's shows, but from what I've seen of Yuko, she's a bit more clever--she seems to handle things on a much grander scale, and like someone else pointed out, she tends to have things figured out from the beginning (to the point where she seems to be able to see the future, although I don't think she can actually do this.)

Yes, she can see the future.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:23 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
konkonsn wrote:
Voting For: Yuko Ichihara
Reason: Though I actually have seen Case Closed by not xxxHOLiC, I have to say that Yuko's mastery of various subjects and ability to read ahead of the situation is far more impressive than the childish detective antics of Kudo.

Her ability to see ahead into the future does not make her smart she is a dreamgazer she can see the future in her dreams, and thus, act accordingly. It's ability like seeing or hearing it's not an indication of cleverness.

Is that dreamgazing stuff perhaps from the manga? I don't remember her dreaming in the anime at all actually.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:03 am Reply with quote
I don't remember Yuuko ever being shown as a dreamseer either, and I've read all the manga that's been released in English and seen both seasons of the anime.

That being said, I do agree that she does have some power that lets her see into the future, but I don't believe that it is outright stated what that power is, unlike the dreamseerers that we see in X/1999, such as Hinoto.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:22 am Reply with quote
I'll put this out here by its lonesome, in case people aren't reading voting posts: Vote Suitengu in A-4

Suitengu is the complete package. Character development spoilers lie ahead. spoiler[He has battlefield presence and is a top tactician in that regard. Before he got his powers, he fought in a mercenary army to pay off a debt owed by his family, and he is the only member from his, err graduating class, to survive to the end of his tour. Then once he gets his powers, he breaks into the crime racket on the bottom floor and expands his power to the point that the head of a major corporation notices his charisma and makes a deal with him. ] From that point on it is a systematic process whereby he collects blackmail information on, or tempts with promises of power most of Japan's government to get them under his thumb. Then he seizes control of the corporation and we find out what his true plan was all along. spoiler[He was orchestrating the collapse of the Japanese economy from the very beginning, and he succeeds too.] I consider the length of time required to put all the pieces in place much more clever than anything a hacker could ever do. (That's why the Count of Monte Cristo has my vote too)
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:45 am Reply with quote
Yes, it is stated in the manga somewhere in Tsubasa Chronicle.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
Ah, that would be inadmissible evidence then.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
That would also explain why I haven't heard that, since I haven't read very far is Tsubasa. Though it does make sense.

But yes, unless it was in the Tsubasa anime, it's definitely not admissible...and even if it is in that, I'm not sure if it would be allowed, considering it is a different, more or less unrelated title, since xxxHolic removed the Tsubasa crossover in its anime adaption.
teekay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
L, Death Note vs.
Dr. Kosaku Tokita, Paprika

Voting For: L
Reason: Outside of actually inventing the DC Mini, Dr. Tokita never really demonstrates much intelligence. L, on the other hand...

Group A-2
Jimmy Kudo/Conan Edogawa, Case Closed/Detective Conan vs.
Yuko Ichihara, xxxHOLiC

Voting For: Jimmy Kudo/Conan Edogawa
Reason: From what I've seen of Case Closed, his reasoning skills are pretty impressive, not to mention that he constantly has to pull the strings from behind the scenes.

Group A-3
Kazundo Gouda, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig vs.
Yang Wen-Li, Legend of the Galactic Heroes franchise

Voting For: Kazundo Gouda
Reason: I didn't even totally understand his master plan, but that in itself seems like a credit to his intelligence.

Group A-4
Yuko Amasawa/Isako, Dennō Coil vs.
Choji Suitengu, Speed Grapher

Voting For: Yuko Amasawa/Isako
Reason: I've only seen a preview of Denno Coil, but based on that her abilities seem not just impressive but unique from anyone else in the competition.

Group A-5
Rin Kobayashi, Please Save My Earth vs.
Makubex, Getbackers

Voting For: Makubex
Reason: Based on the guide.

Group A-6
Urumi Kanzaki, Great Teacher Onizuka vs.
Shima Katase, Stellvia

Voting For: Urumi Kanzaki

Group A-7
Eyes Rutherford, Spiral vs.
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise

Voting For: Motoko Kusanagi
Reason: She has leadership skills, tactical fighting ability, and knowledge of the intricacies of politics in future Japan. What more could you ask for?

Group A-8
Near, Death Note vs.
Alex Rowe, Last Exile

Voting For: Alex Rowe
Reason: I wasn't as impressed with Near as with L and Light. Alex Rowe's calm, calculating personality, his strategic prowess and his ability to negotiate tense situations between the three powerful forces of the Guild, Dissith, and Anatoray lead me to vote for the underdog.

Group A-9
Minoru Kokobunji, Chobits vs.
Char Aznable/Casval Rem Daikun, UC-related Gundam titles

Voting For: Char Aznable/Casval Rem Daikun

Group A-10
Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin franchise vs.
Ayumu Narumi, Spiral

Voting For: Ayumu Narumi
Reason: Kenshin never really demonstrated too much tactical ability in my opinion, so this is a vote against him.

Group A-11
Amy Mizuno (aka Sailor Mercury), Sailor Moon vs.
Ryoko Uchida, Noein

Voting For: Ryoko Uchida

Group A-12
Yurika Misumaru, Martian Successor Nadesico vs.
Ichigo Morino, Please Teacher!

Voting For: Yurika Misumaru

Group A-13
Shuurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku vs.
Dewey Novak, Eureka Seven

Voting For: Shuurei Kou/Hong
Reason: Dewey to me seemed like a good manipulator, but not much else. So again, this is a vote against him.

Group A-14
Gilbert Durandal, Gundam SEED Destiny vs.
Autor, Princess Tutu

Voting For: Gilbert Durandal

Group A-15
Miria, Claymore vs.
Yukino Miyazawa, His and Her Circumstances(aka Kare Kano)

Voting For: Miria

Group A-16
Mr. X, Argento Soma vs.
Shikamaru Nara, Naruto

Voting For: Shikamaru Nara
Reason: Shikamaru seems like just about the only character in Naruto with a brain; he gets bonus points just for all the stupidity he has to put up with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Olliff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
]Group A-1
L, Death Note vs.
Dr. Kosaku Tokita, Paprika

Reason: I never thought of Dr. Tokita as intelligent. L on the other hand demonstrated great deductive thinking throughout the series.

Group A-2
Jimmy Kudo/Conan Edogawa, Case Closed/Detective Conan vs.
Yuko Ichihara, xxxHOLiC

Voting For: Jimmy Kudo/Conan Edogawa
Reason: His reasoning skills are impressive especially for his age.

Group A-3
Kazundo Gouda, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig vs.
Yang Wen-Li, Legend of the Galactic Heroes franchise

Voting For: Kazundo Gouda
Reason: I loved how he seemed to manipulate everything in order for it to fit with his plans.

Group A-4
Yuko Amasawa/Isako, Dennō Coil vs.
Choji Suitengu, Speed Grapher

Voting For: Yuko Amasawa/Isako
Reason: Guide.

Group A-5
Rin Kobayashi, Please Save My Earth vs.
Makubex, Getbackers

Voting For: Makubex
Reason: Guide.

Group A-6
Urumi Kanzaki, Great Teacher Onizuka vs.
Shima Katase, Stellvia

Reason: Her intelligence and cleverness is hard to match. It is often shown when she carefully plots against her teacher. If her series was more well known, she probably would have have been a seed.

Group A-7
Eyes Rutherford, Spiral vs.
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise

Voting For: Motoko Kusanagi
Reason: Graceful political skills and an excellent leader. I liked how this character had cleverness is a very practical way that translated into results.

Group A-8
Near, Death Note vs.
Alex Rowe, Last Exile

Reason: Near's ability to deduct and reason is amazing. His logic often borders on being to good to seem realistic, especially when its coming from a little boy.

Group A-9
Minoru Kokobunji, Chobits vs.
Char Aznable/Casval Rem Daikun, UC-related Gundam titles

Voting For: Minouru
Reason: His cleverness is demonstrated in a subtle way. I also believe his intelligence goes beyond just being a tech wiz. He seem for knowledgeable about the world in general.

Group A-10
Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin franchise vs.
Ayumu Narumi, Spiral

Voting For: Ayumu Narumi
Reason: A vote against Kenshin.
Group A-11
Amy Mizuno (aka Sailor Mercury), Sailor Moon vs.
Ryoko Uchida, Noein

Voting For: Ryoko Uchida
Reason:Guide

Group A-12
Yurika Misumaru, Martian Successor Nadesico vs.
Ichigo Morino, Please Teacher!

Voting For: Yurika Misumaru
Reason: A vote against Ichigo Morino. I never thought her intelligence went past booksmarts.

Group A-13
Shuurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku vs.
Dewey Novak, Eureka Seven

Voting For: Shuurei Kou/Hong
Reason: Tactical genius. It's enough to get my vote.

Group A-14
Gilbert Durandal, Gundam SEED Destiny vs.
Autor, Princess Tutu

Voting For: Gilbert Durandal
Reason: Guide

Group A-15
Miria, Claymore vs.
Yukino Miyazawa, His and Her Circumstances(aka Kare Kano)

Voting For: Yukino Miyazawa
Reason: Like Kenshin, Miria does not belong in this tournament for the same reason.

Group A-16
Mr. X, Argento Soma vs.
Shikamaru Nara, Naruto

Voting For: Shikamaru Nara
Reason: Impressive tactical intelligence. He also has the uncanny ability to be able to get people work together effectively.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:
Reason: Her intelligence and cleverness is hard to match. It is often shown when she carefully plots against her teacher. If her series was more well known, she probably would have have been a seed.

GTO is 57th for number of people who have seen it. That's considerably better than Monster or Gankutsuou, and a character from each of those shows made seed.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
argument for Alex Rowe

teekay wrote:

Voting For: Alex Rowe
Reason: I wasn't as impressed with Near as with L and Light. Alex Rowe's calm, calculating personality, his strategic prowess and his ability to negotiate tense situations between the three powerful forces of the Guild, Dissith, and Anatoray lead me to vote for the underdog.

Of the three Death Note characters in the tournament, two are seeds, and Near is clearly the weakest link. Add to that the fact that Alex should definitely make it past round 1, and for a more diverse and fun tournament, Alex Rowe should press onward!

From a logical standpoint, Near's arc in Death Note had less than half the excitement or intensity as L's, emphasized by Near's almost laughably rapid conclusions. I found myself wondering how, if Near was starting from almost scratch, he reached the same conclusions L did after L's months of hard work and careful analysis of evidence such as video tapes and interviews, as well as surveillance.

In contrast, Alex Rowe is tenacious and calculating, doing whatever he needs to to effectively captain his ship against numerous enemies and exact his revenge against the most powerful force in their world. Only he could pull it off.

And that's why everyone should vote for Alex! Wink
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
argument for Alex Rowe

And that's why everyone should vote for Alex! Wink

Oh, fine.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
argument for Alex Rowe

I have seen all of both series involved in that match-up, and as much as I hate Near, he has Alex Rowe beat cold on both actual and demonstrated intelligence. Near may be the "weakest link" of the DN entries, but he is still a very solid inclusion worthy of advancing to the 3rd or 4th round. Alex, OTOH, is only borderline for being worthy of inclusion at all.

Once I get around to actually casting my votes officially, that's how I'll be voting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Servant of the Path

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
From a logical standpoint, Near's arc in Death Note had less than half the excitement or intensity as L's, emphasized by Near's almost laughably rapid conclusions. I found myself wondering how, if Near was starting from almost scratch, he reached the same conclusions L did after L's months of hard work and careful analysis of evidence such as video tapes and interviews, as well as surveillance.

Actually, as I recall, the reason Near was able to accomplish this was because spoiler[L had been successful in sending all of his work on Kira to Near upon his own death.]

Frankly, it's rather frightening to me that Alex Rowe is doing as well as he is against Near. Alex was quite clever in spoiler[obtaining the mysteria] and what-not but I'm still a little surprised that he has remained a candidate. Near's conclusions, some of which I admit are occasionally stretched a bit thin, nevertheless border upon the superhuman.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Counting up the votes for matches so far, here are unofficial results I've gotten off of 19 voters:

Group A-1: L leads 18-1.

Group A-2: Jimmy Kudo/ Conan Edogawa leads 12-7.

Group A-3: Kazundo Gouda leads 15-4.

Group A-4: Yuko Amasawa leads 11-8.

Group A-5: Makubex leads 11-8.

Group A-6: Urumi Kanzaki leads 15-4.

Group A-7: Motoko Kusanagi leads 15-4.

Group A-8: Near leads 13-6.

Group A-9: Char Aznuble leads 16-3.

Group A-10: Ayumu Narumi leads 15-4.

Group A-11: Ryoko Uchida leads 14-5.

Group A-12: Yurika Misumaru leads 17-2.

Group A-13: Shuurei Kou leads 11-8.

Group A-14: Autor leads 10-9.

Group A-15: Miria leads 11-8.

Group A-16: Shikamaru leads 13-6.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 90