• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NDK Announcement: Anime News Network and Protoculture Addicts Join Forces!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flip
Protoculture Addicts Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:51 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Also, if you are going to review anime series, please grade them instead of promoting them (like Newtype).

That's what we have been doing in PA for nearly 18 years (well, that's not exacty true since we introduced the grade system only with #24 (July '93) and upgraded it to what it is today in #37 (Nov. '95)).

I've been working hard on Protoculture Addicts for a long time and I would like to know what people really think of the magazine. Now, with ANN, we will be working even harder to improve the magazine, but we need to know what you like or dislike, what you think should be improved, etc.

For those who are not familiar with the magazine, I would strongly suggest to have a look on our website: www.protoculture-mag.com or www.protoculture.ca (it has been up and running since 1996). You can also get a pretty good idea of the magazine by checking our cover index (you can see the table of contents of most recent issues) and by downloading a PDF file of a sample issue (Top Menu -> Protoculture Info -> Promo -> PA Sample).

Like tempest said, if you want to support Anime News Network's Protoculture Addicts, please ask your local stores to get it (see our list of distributors). You can also order it directly from our online catalog, or subscribe.

We are mostly distributed by Diamond (and mostly in the USA), but we have a distributor in the U.K. and we do get into Australia through Diamond. We will definitely work on improving distribution, but it the meantime if you cannot find it you can always order it issue by issue or subscribe.

Don't hesitate to post your comments here, or to send them to either tempest or myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:09 am Reply with quote
Increasing the number of issues has already been mentioned, and while I agree with that I'd like to see the entire magazine in color first. Since you're the last major anime publication to still have b/w pages this really is a must. I do like that you concentrate on modeling, but expanding that into (or adding to it) a merchandise section would be very welcomed (to me anyway, toys and trinkets are my niche in the greater hobby).

Unfortunately I haven't picked up an issue of PA in years and really can't offer much more than esthetic criticism. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kenshin77

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:37 am Reply with quote
Congratulations ANN for working with Protoculture Addicts
now for some questions.

1).Will some of the ANN writers still write articles for Anime Insider?

2).Who exactly will be working with the magazine, (Ex. will bamboo work for protoculture addicts, and not Anime Insider)

3).will you be selling the magazines at bookstores perhaps?

and again congrats.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:10 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Zac is the only one who works at AI full time and therefore could no longer work here; the others, I believe, work freelance for AI and maybe even here and so they can write for whoever they choose. I'm guessing that if they were to work undercontract for PA they'd have to stop writing for AI.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:01 am Reply with quote
Does PA need anyone to cover the live-action scene? Cus I'm available.
TODE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:27 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Were taking the existing magazine, renaming it slightely and hopefully improving it.
Oh. Sounds great! I'll be sure to look you up in Previews. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:54 pm Reply with quote
kenshin77 wrote:
1).Will some of the ANN writers still write articles for Anime Insider?

Witht he exceptionof Zac, who is an AI employee (and not currently an ANN writer), all the ANN staff that write for AI do so on a freelance basis. Their writing for PA will be the same. This means that neither PA, nor AI has any right to tell them whether or not they can write for other magazines.

Quote:

Not right away. Because of some big differences between the book market and the comic book / specialty market, the book market is extremely expensive to get into. We do have plans to go that way, but it might not be for a year or two.

Quote:
and again congrats.

Thanks!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Not right now. There might be opportunities in 2005 though.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, from looking at your sample issue, this is what I think, and some questions I have:

-I love the new release section and all the descriptions you give.

-Definitely put it all in color. It makes it so much more worthwhile to read. And in your new release listings, you'll then have the option of color coding items for specific reasons.

-Art features are amazing. Very well done.

-Overall, the magazine looks very worthwhile.

-What type of paper is it printed on?

-How many pages is the magazine?
biliano*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:04 pm Reply with quote
To flip: Thanks for the info.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:17 pm Reply with quote
CrackaJax wrote:
Claude will have to answer that...

Quote:

-How many pages is the magazine?

72 pages including covers 7 pages of ads. (versus 100 pages, 40.5 pages of ads in another magazine, so 72 pages can be more than it looks like).

Future issues may have more pages.
flip

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Live-action is already well covered by my wife & I, and we don't want to put too much live-action reviews anyway. Some readers are already complaining we are giving it too much space. However, any contribution that is volunteered (not paid) will be considered and welcomed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
flip

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:02 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
kenshin77 wrote:

Not right away. Because of some big differences between the book market and the comic book / specialty market, the book market is extremely expensive to get into. We do have plans to go that way, but it might not be for a year or two.

I just want to make a small correction. Through a distributor in Ontario, in some parts of Canada (probably only urban areas in Ontario and Quebec) we are already in some bookstores and magazine stands. I've seen the magazine in Chapters and Indigo. But like tempest said, we won't expand that market before a while.
flip

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:24 pm Reply with quote
CrackaJax wrote:
Well, from looking at your sample issue, this is what I think, and some questions I have:

-I love the new release section and all the descriptions you give.

Thanks. That section, and the news section in general, will be expended. After all, it is Anime NEWS Network's Protoculture Addicts!

Quote:
-Definitely put it all in color. It makes it so much more worthwhile to read. And in your new release listings, you'll then have the option of color coding items for specific reasons.

We have been thinking about that for a long time, but color is VERY expensive. We will need the support of lots more readers before achieving that. However, we will probably increase the number of color pages a little within the first year. But we are much more likely to become monthly before being full color.

Quote:
-Art features are amazing. Very well done.

-Overall, the magazine looks very worthwhile.

Thanks.

Quote:

The regular pages are on standard offset paper (Windsor 100M) and the cover & color insert on a thicker glossy paper (Horizon Gloss 180M). For a while (#72-73, 75-76) we used a new printer and glossy paper all over (Dividend Gloss 100M), but it was way too expensive. Our regular printer cannot do glossy paper, so we probably won't use it again until we are ready for full color.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:33 pm Reply with quote
That was informative. I'll probably send a subscription order in within a month or two. The more money I contribute, the quicker its in color, rite?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5