• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Underground/Art/Alternative Manga Discussion Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote
CorrosiveMeso wrote:
Black Jack? Vertical licensed it and have released the first three volumes, out of 17. They've done an awesome job, too.

Ah, nice timing then. Thanks for the info, now I have to see if I can get it around here. Same for Monster.
CorrosiveMeso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
If you're buying online, check to see if the hardcovers are available. The first three volumes have also been released as limited edition hardcovers that include exclusive stories (although the third one isn't out yet).
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip. My usual online store only has the paperbacks, have to consider if it's worth the money and effort trying to track them down. They seem to be pretty limited according to Vertical's site. Are the exclusive stories really worth it?
CorrosiveMeso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... if it's that much trouble, then I'd say it's probably not worth it. The extra stories in volume 1 and 2 have been good, but not among the best Black Jack stories I've read. Don't go around spending like twice the money for the sake of a couple stories. I happen to have pretty easy access to them, so it's not that much more expensive for me.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
Oh, I wouldn't mind paying double, but since I live in Europe I doubt I could get them that cheap. Oh well.

BTW, thanks for mentioning Vertical. I'd never heard of them before, but they seem to have a lot of interesting stuff, Tezuka and otherwise.
Highway Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I JUST FOUND OUT; VIZ HAVE LICENSED TAIYO MATSUMOTO'S GOGO MONSTER!! Shocked
According to the source; http://www.mangablog.net/?p=3436, the news was just released this morning. Its out in November, and priced at $24.99. I expect this kind of price suggests they're releasing it in its original slipcase and hardcover format, hopefully the same size of Tekkonkinkreet.
This has made my day, no, my month!!! Very Happy
Also of interest to the regulars at this thread; they have licensed Inio Asano's What A Wonderful World, and Natsume Ono's Not Simple.
This year is gonna be awesome...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news for new Inio Asano and Taiyo Matsumoto fans.

I'm also curious about Natsume Ono's work, as well as Fumi Yoshinaga's, as josei is a rarity here.

Cloe wrote:
Woah, that blog is awesome! The ABe take on moe had me laughing my ass off.

Definitely wanted to get that out to more people. (And also am not surprised that you like it. Razz)
CorrosiveMeso

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Always nice to see new licenses of this caliber. GoGo Monster is a strange choice, though. I haven't read it, but, when I asked Stephen Paul about it a while ago, he replied:

"Gogo Monster was really an odd experience. It's not actually a serial; it was drawn up entirely by his studio and put straight to book, and because of this I feel like he used the opportunity to create a story which was unlike any of his previous. I think it's easily his most difficult and enigmatic work and since I only read it once, I can't claim that I've really cracked its puzzle. It's about a young boy in school around the year that he "stops being a child." There is a LOT of symbolism and the whole thing has a very alien feel, like it moves by a rhythm that you can't quite follow, but despite that it still has some of Matsumoto's most sublime scenes and images in it, so if you're a real die-hard fan I don't see why not check it out... as long as you understand that it's quite difficult and possibly alienating."

So I'm surprised Viz chose it as their next license; I thought they'd go for something a bit more accessible. I'm not complaining, though. The French release was beyond my price range, so I can't wait for this.

What a Wonderful World is good, too, but not Asano's best. The quality of the stories varies, but it's definitely worth a read. I hope they go for, say, Nijigahara Holograph next.

I haven't read anything by Ono, so I'm intrigued by that license.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
The last manga I bought, I think, was Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms and that was... jeez, a good long while ago.

You know, I could try to come off as all intellectual (Well, as intellectual as someone with an Oxnard avatar can come off) and say that I bought Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms because of the way it deals with the personal aftermath of the bombing of Hiroshima without pinning blame on anyone blah, blah, blah. Truthfully, though, I bought it because I thought the title sounded beautiful.

Quote:
It's one of those books I'm always on the look-out for, but haven't been lucky enough to find a copy of yet.

Their is a couple of copies on Amazon's Marketplace. . . starting at $129. Crying or Very sad
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Highway Star wrote:
I JUST FOUND OUT; VIZ HAVE LICENSED TAIYO MATSUMOTO'S GOGO MONSTER!! Shocked

AWESOME news. Very Happy I'd kind of wanted Ping Pong to come over first, but hell, any Taiyo Matsumoto acquisition is great news!

Now, if they'd re-visit No. 5...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
Highway Star wrote:
I JUST FOUND OUT [...] This year is gonna be awesome

Thanks for the heads up - that's great news. I'd been presuming Viz would be scaling back their "prestige" releases in favour of mass market stuff given the current financial climate but, if anything, the reverse seems to be true.

Cloe wrote:
Now, if they'd re-visit No. 5...

Amen to that.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Put up a half-assed review of Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories collection on Andrew Cunningham's blog. Great book.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Nice review, Hellkorn. I really do need to pick Memories up.

Quote:
Before Katsuhiro Otomo squandered his talent and career directing anime movies

Ouch.

Quote:
The other two -- Hipira and The Legend of Mother Sarah, both drawn by different artists -- never caught my eye.

Hipira is actually pretty good (presuming you have a fondness, as I do, for quality children's picture books).
It's not quite up there with the children's books of, say, Emily Gravett, Maurice Sendak, Akiko Ikeda or Posy Simmonds but it's not far off.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Ouch.

I like the Akira anime, and Steamboy is fun for its first half or so, but they're nothing compared to what he made as comics artist.

Quote:
Hipira is actually pretty good (presuming you have a fondness, as I do, for quality children's picture books).
It's not quite up there with the children's books of, say, Emily Gravett, Maurice Sendak, Akiko Ikeda or Posy Simmonds but it's not far off.

I might check it out at some point, then.

Pre-ordered Kan Takahama's Awabi at The Book Depository. Offers free worldwide shipping. Anyone else interested can check it out here.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Pre-ordered Kan Takahama's Awabi at The Book Depository. Offers free worldwide shipping. Anyone else interested can check it out here.

Second that. Great online store, even though their prices went up a little after they revamped the site. They've been my main source of English manga for years.

BTW HellKorn, were you billed immediately for the preorder? I had a pretty huge order that included plenty of preorders with them recently, and was not at all nicely surprised to see that they'd already billed me for the preorders too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 88