• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gintama

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
The first half was entertaining, but the Momotaro story had me literally laughing out loud for nearly the entire thing Laughing
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
Soooo the other assassin, who talked about problems shooting early. Was a girl???
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
I really liked the premise of "suicidal man meets assassin on the roof," why'd they have to make it all cliche and mushy by the end? At least MADAO is alive to ruin an assassin's pkan another day! Very Happy
MarshalBanana wrote:
Soooo the other assassin, who talked about problems shooting early. Was a girl???

...Maybe she just stole her brother's joke?

Loved seeing all the classic 'gumi characters acting like their old comedic selves again!
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see the Excalibur arc get the anime treatment. It's a shame the introductory chapter was so janky-looking, but we're practically guaranteed to get one or two episodes like that per season.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Guts Dragonslayer has a wooden sword inside. Also why did it take them this long to have a Berserk reference, or was some I'm forgetting. Talking about references, what is Kagura supposed to be?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I wonder if Guts Dragonslayer has a wooden sword inside. Also why did it take them this long to have a Berserk reference, or was some I'm forgetting. Talking about references, what is Kagura supposed to be?

Kagura's a parody of Danpei from Ashita no Joe. It would have been funny if they had gone whole-hog and given her his weird facial hair, too.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Great adaptation of a great arc. I agree that few other series could pull off such a delicate balancing act between anything-goes comedy and poignant (well, poignant-ish) drama. Is the re-forged Kusanagi going to be sentient, or did his hilt being destroyed diminish any hope of this?

Happy to hear that the final arc is beginning in January. Unless they engage in copious content trimming, it's hard to picture it being adapted in less than two cours. I thought there would be at least a season-long break between Slip and Silver Soul, so this is a pleasant surprise.
Nodz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In a season that's given focus to seldom-seen supporting players like Umibozu, Tetsuko, Ikumatsu, and Musashi, it makes sense to give Otsu a turn in the spotlight as well.

Not really, they just adapt the material left that happen to have one arc (more or less) focused on Otsu.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Now I want a story about Otae's band.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:08 am Reply with quote
Just caught up. The Excalaburings arc had me asking so many questions, namely "which classic movie is this plot lifted wholesale from?" Wouldn't be the first time a Gintama arc reminded me of classic movie tropes, but there's something really specific about a guy mistaking his daughter for his wife...Oldboy came to mind, but I don't think that's quite it. Might just be a bunch of tropes scrambled up (I don't know too many classic samurai movies, but it seems so familiar). Anyway, seeing a plot like that played straight (well, almost straight) with alien sword people is surreal!

Really enjoying the idol arc right now. The Rock Grrlz band needs some side songs to go with it...if they can figure out how to play! I'd watch a whole nother arc on 'em.

How can Kagura and Otsu call themselves "48" when they only have two members? They need 46 more super strong, shit talking, profanity laced singers!
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Taka-chin!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nobody does (literal) toilet humour better than Gintama.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Humor-wise, this may be my favorite episode of the season. Kagura attempting to set the record straight with reporters was hilarious, and Tsukuyo using her guitar as a bat was a great sight gag. Also, I know the "Shinpachi = his glasses" joke has been completely run into the ground by this point, but "What part do you think you're shaving off?!" had me in stitches. As soon as it became apparent that GKB was peddling sex, I knew Gintoki would request a turn behind the curtain.

Does anyone know how many episodes the Slip Arc will encompass? I assume all the arcs teased in the intro will get adapted, but if this season winds up being 12 episodes instead of 13, it's unlikely that the two remaining single-chapter stories (one of which would make a great pack-in OVA for Gintama Rumble) will make the cut.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I had a right goof laugh when Gintoki's spirit showed up, I wonder if that segment was based on "They Live".
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad they found a way to adapt the video game story. Turns out all they needed to do was replace every mention of "Sugoroku" with "Rumble." I'm not even sure it could have been animated during the 2015-2016 season, since BN didn't have any Gintama games in the pipeline at the time. The digitized versions of the usual music tracks were a nice touch.

Loving the Guardian Spirits arc. It was the last purely comedic story in the manga, and it definitely seems like Sorachi wanted to go all-out.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Why was Alchu blue last week but yellow this week? He was even blue in the preview for episode 341. Were they afraid a copyright issue would arise if he bore too strong a resemblance to Pikachu?

I'm so glad this season exists. It always bugged me that the 2015-16 series jumped right into the serious stuff while sitting on a cour's worth of great material. It's a shame chapter 487 wasn't adapted, but hopefully we'll get it as an OVA or a short attached to an upcoming episode. It'd also be great if Crunchyroll could get the streaming rights to the Love Potion OVAs and the 2014 special.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 35