• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Brothers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
When it comes to "Buddy Gorilla" though, you have to wonder how this managed to make it all the way to television. From Koyama's editor at Kodansha's Morning to the production staff at A-1, the portrayal of an African-American as a gorilla apparently raised no red flags.

I wonder if anyone at Kodansha or A-1 pays attention to discussions like these. Do you suppose they even know that there is a contingent of American viewers who are disturbed by the Buddy Gorilla material?

Perhaps they're smarter than you think and calculated that the viewership loss would be minimal. Have you stopped watching? Has anyone you know stopped watching?

I have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
the show is still really good, so i just skip the Hibbit thing
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
the show is still really good, so i just skip the Hibbit thing

From A-1 Pictures' point of view, if you're still watching most of the show, they get to count you as someone who's okay with it. They don't have to care unless it makes you switch the show off completely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
doubtful they care what I think about
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Wait, you really stopped watching the show because of the Mr. Hibbit thing?

dude.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 71

spoiler[Finally, the two of them are doing something together.
Sharing experiences was also nice.
The photo shoot was pretty funny.
Well, at least Mutta came up with a few ideas for the buggy.
Seems like Mutta is always left behind by his brother.
He's always trying to catch up, but he's still got a long way to go.
Looks like Hibito wasn't unaffected by the accident on the Moon after all.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of ironic that Hibbit is a rabbit and not a monkey, since Hibito's hairline is perfectly stereotypical of cartoon monkeys. Of course the pun/reference wouldn't work any more. But spoiler[Deneil Pig] was inevitable. Smile

Couldn't agree more with Bill Murray about training the drivers!

It is so weird to now associate the super-clenched Vince with the exuberant Mikoshiba in Free! Very Happy
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

dude.

What are you surprised by: that I think it's offensive, or that I'm willing to act on that?
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
Galap wrote:

dude.

What are you surprised by: that I think it's offensive, or that I'm willing to act on that?

I'm surprised by the extremity of your response compared to the magnitude of the offense.

I mean , it was an unfortunate choice, but it's clearly not intentional, and to me it seems a little excessive to bail on a show that's so long and has so many other merits for one little thing like this, especially when they've portrayed the actual character so well.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:22 am Reply with quote
It's kinda ironic that Mutta feels spoiler[left behind again when it's actually Hibito who's really struggling now. I wish the brothers would be a bit more honest to each other...makes me wonder in which direction this will be going now? I hope Mutta won't just be offered to take Hibito's place in the next moon mission or something clichéd like that...]
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:14 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
spoiler[I hope Mutta won't just be offered to take Hibito's place in the next moon mission or something clichéd like that...]

Don't worry. You should know this series is better than that. =)
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Merida wrote:
spoiler[I hope Mutta won't just be offered to take Hibito's place in the next moon mission or something clichéd like that...]

Don't worry. You should know this series is better than that. =)

I know, but i still can't help worrying. Guess i've read/watched too much bad shounen...
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I'm surprised by the extremity of your response compared to the magnitude of the offense.

Perhaps we disagree on the magnitude of the offense. Can you picture yourself, seriously, talking with a black person and recommending this show, knowing that Buddy Gorilla is in it? If you can... well, go ahead and watch, then, I don't think there's anything I can say to change your mind.

I agree it was doing a good job with presenting diverse characters up until that point. For that reason, I was willing to give it a second chance after the first Mr. Hibbit segment. But after the second one there was no way.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
If I knew the person well enough to recommend any anime, this one would probably be on the list, but I would certainly warn them about the Mr. Hibbit segments, whatever their racial background.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
As a black person myself I have to say that I do find the Buddy gorilla thing pretty offensive and I find it kind of weird an author doing a series that features so much diversity would make such a huge oversight in (apparently)not knowing how offensive that kind of imagery is.

That being said I really love the rest of the show, and the actual character Buddy is handled decently enough. While my viewing habits prevent me from not sitting though the Mr. Hibbit segments, my love for the series can beat out my issues with these shorts and don't affect my overall enjoyment too much(this week's ep was my favorite in a while actually).

I just hope the shorts be gone after a while. Offensiveness aside, their not very interesting and it makes the show feel a bit childish which is a shame given how maturely it carries itself on a regular basis.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 43