• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Accel World (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:41 am Reply with quote
ggqt wrote:
And I'm guessing English is not your first language, so I'll just ask.
What does "stupid as all get out" mean.

It's an idiom. Looks like you need the english lessons, kiddo Laughing
ggqt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote
I guess so, because going by the definition of the words and the context they were used in, it made no sense. I know what an idiom is, which is why I asked what he means. because it does not work in that sentence correctly.

Last edited by ggqt on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:57 am Reply with quote
ggqt wrote:
I guess so, because going by the definition of the words and the context they where used in, it made no sense. I know what an idiom is, which is why I asked what he means. because it does not work in that sentence correctly.

His sentence makes perfect sense in English, no amount of 'definition' or 'context' changes that Rolling Eyes

It's spelled 'were', by the way.
ggqt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote
If you say so, but I'm going to stick with he's using it wrong. He's basically saying my reason are really stupid, but there was no reason for him to use that phrase there. You're trying to defend a guy who uses the word "dood" lol.

But yeah I've been up for like 39 hours. My typing is starting to get really bad, I should get to sleep.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:24 am Reply with quote
I'm not defending him. You called him out on his use of English, whilst your own is far from perfect. I'm just feeding on the delicious hypocrisy.

His usage of 'dood' annoys me a lot less than your usage of 'lol', if I'm perfectly honest.
ggqt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quote
There's a difference. If everyone typed with perfect English skills everything would look exactly the same. I used all my words and phrases correctly to a point where I still be creative with my typing. It's not that I can't use perfect English, it's just boring to do it. You want it to sound more like a conversion over the internet; not an essay. Kind of went off point, but what I'm getting at is he used it incorrectly where is made little sense, if I have done that anywhere feel free to point it out.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
ggqt wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Yes, but if the protagonist was the standard size/weight then this show would not work because there would be no reason why he'd be ostracised to this degree without having to do mental gymnastics to make it work.
You'd have Shinji without all the factors that make Shinji the emotional wreck he is. A person who has a bunch of problems and every means of dealing with them, but no care to do so.

Look, you don't like the show and your reason for not doing so is fine, stupid as all get out, but fine.

PS: I'll say whatever dumb shit I care to say, boy.

Oh I'm sure it could work fine with out him being fat. He could be of a different race, have a disability or even be gay. There are a ton of other ways this could be done. The only reason he is fat is because the author is trying to hit the huge fan base of fat nerds who watch anime, and if you consider getting punched in order to get a kid expelled a "mental jumping jack" I may have to reconsider the literacy level of which I write when responding it you

And I'm guessing English is not your first language, so I'll just ask.
What does "stupid as all get out" mean.

Also, who ever said I did not like the show? I just like it for my own reasons. I enjoy laughing at how hard it tries to make the fat kid look cool.

I'm sorry, you've just utterly derailed the argument. Him getting punched by that guy has nothing to do with what I was saying in regards to having the main character be as be one of the few ways that his situation would make sense.

If he was of a different race, the problem would be that people are raciest, if he was Gay then the entire story's something of a bust (And the problem is also less of the physical and more of the internal) and what kind of disability is he going to have that wouldn't somehow turn the show into an even more blatant pro-[disability] argument and still fit your apparent goal of a McProtagonist?

And, English lesson from a Scotsman; "as all get out" is a common English Idiom for "Very" as in "Your arguments stating this show is beneath anything bar the subject of unintentional comedy because the writer used a main character who is short and overweight are very stupid"
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I want to like this show, I really do. The fight scenes are terrifically done and the premise, plot, and technology is really interesting. But almost all of the characters annoy me. I like that they tried to make the MC different, but he's just too... I don't know what's the right word. Self-pitying maybe? I'm not rooting for him like I'm suppose to, I just want to scream at him for not doing anything to help himself. And the "romance" feels tacked on and awkward. I might marathon this depending on what I hear about it later, but for now I'm dropping it.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
I want to like this show, I really do. The fight scenes are terrifically done and the premise, plot, and technology is really interesting. But almost all of the characters annoy me. I like that they tried to make the MC different, but he's just too... I don't know what's the right word. Self-pitying maybe? I'm not rooting for him like I'm suppose to, I just want to scream at him for not doing anything to help himself. And the "romance" feels tacked on and awkward. I might marathon this depending on what I hear about it later, but for now I'm dropping it.

I read your comment thinking this was the HxH thread; imagine how confusing that was. Wink

I'd have to say that only thing I have a problem with is the main character. I'd say his relationship with his childhood friend is closer to romance than with his pseudo-girlfriend. He says he wants to be "equals" with his friends, but he's just too pathetic to be equals with anyone. Medaka Box felt like women empowerment; this feels like fat nerd empowerment.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty amused at how...spoiler[butthurt] people are about Porky-kun's design. At first I found his appearance to be slightly amusing, but then I got over myself after realizing not all anime characters must fit this image I have in my head.

If you can get over that 'hump', it's a pretty watchable show. I guess this is what a studio gets for trying to be different in character design though.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
I'I guess this is what a studio gets for trying to be different in character design though.

They aren't really being different in character design in whole; it's like they're mixing character designs, which is just kind of messy. As others have noted: everyone except the protagonist is normal. Even when he saw the two children with the smaller child trying to keep up: that child was still within the normal character design; unlike himself.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
They are just emphasizing his feelings of inferiority, making him look like the underdog, etc. They didn't have to, but I don't hold it against them for doing so.
ggqt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san, The only problems he's solved so far is getting punched and picking a tire up off the ground. Not exactly brain surgery, so I'm not sure what he's solving with "mental jumping jacks"

The rest of what you said is just pointless nonsense, It's you just scrambling for something to say with nothing to back the argument. It's obvious that there are other ways to handle this show, hell the author did it himself in SAO.

Regardless this argument this is getting old and boring so I'm going to stop.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
They are just emphasizing his feelings of inferiority, making him look like the underdog, etc. They didn't have to, but I don't hold it against them for doing so.

the hang-dog character has been done to death in anime.
every anime with any kind of special powers be they real life or in another dimension has a MC with feelings of inferiority/self doubting/psychological blocks which make them constantly question their ability to prevail or even use the power/mecha/magic/tech which makes them superior to those they always rely on/look upto in real life.

the fact they chose to make this one not only short but round doesn't change a thing or make it any more unique.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
OK and? You just strawmanned me by implying I said the show is more unique. I just said I don't have a problem with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 21