• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Netflix Violation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I like the new stuff. I like some of the older stuff (90s mostly). I think the new stuff looks a lot better (no surprise there I'm sure) and since I watch anime largely because I like how it looks, I don't think it should be terribly surprising that I tend not to go after stuff that's old unless there is some nostalgia there.

That said, some of the older 90s series like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, have aged reasonably well. I just couldn't really see myself going back much further than that though. I'm not saying there might not be something of value then that I would like, but I don't think I could get past the look of it.

Now with live action stuff this is less of an issue. Yes, the special effects are not as good, but many films don't really need much of that to be good and the people still look just like people do now. I don't really watch a lot of very old things, but I like some old TV and a few older movies.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Nope. I think the late 90s was better.

We got Bebop, Trigun, Berserk, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Princess Mononoke, Jin-Roh...(not to mention Lain, Escaflowne, Outlaw Star, Eat Man, Utena, Perfect Blue)...all in a period of a few years.

Of course, you neglect to mention all the other shows that aired at the same time, and no one remembers because they, well, weren't very good.

Funny how that works.

Well, yes and no. Yes as far as overall quality. After all, 90% of everything is crud. A lot of the impression that the 90's "is better" is because a smaller share of the crud either got licensed or got a fansub made. Its like, Casa Blanca and North by Northwest are really good movies, but if you sat down and watched ten random movies that were released in the same years, they're unlikely to be anywhere near as good.

OTOH, if someone is a fan of a particular genre, that means that they are happy with not just the very best shows in that genre, but also the middling shows in that genre, so someone who likes a genre that is better represented today will have a preference for modern stuff and someone who likes a genre that was better represented in the 90's will prefer the 90's.
Panon

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Still wondering why Harmony Gold should get the blame for the lack of new Macross anime. They're not the ones charging an arm and a leg for M7 and Frontier. In fact, as I recall, they let Animeigo sub the original show, when they could've flipped Animeigo off. So if you're going to look for a scapegoat, I'd say it should be Bandai Visual and Big West.

HG didn't 'let' Animeigo release Macross, they licensed it to them. And one of the details of that license was that on it's expiry, all the work they did and materials involved reverted to HG ownership - in effect, they just used Animeigo to do work for them, a remaster job that could be used for an upgraded re-release of Robotech. Them allowing it to be released wasn't some act of benevolence.

They also did it because the original Macross is the only Macross they have legitimate claim to.

Bandai Visual and Big West quite rightfully will not for any price give any other Macross to HG or anybody who makes deals with them, and HG oppose anybody being allowed to obtain Macross without acknowledging them as the owners of it. Trying to blame the Japanese is utter nonsense.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I think there are great & bad series from every decade. I am an adult but I became a fan of anime when I was already a bit older in 2000-2001 so I still think I am relatively a new fan compared to some people.

I really think there are a lot of great classic series I am missing out on (although I think I have seen my fair share of 90's anime, it's even earlier series that I want to see more of). I try to watch (or read the manga in some cases) as much as I can. I have found some classic series are not as good as people say and then I have found some to be absolutely amazing.

So no I don't think anime is any better or worse today. However the reason I still watch more newer series is because I actually love the community that goes along with anime. I love watching the series that are currently airing and discussing them & reacting with the fandom. You just don't get that same type of interaction with classic series.

edit: And just a note some of my favorite classic series (manga or anime) if we are going back to the 90's would be: Rose of Versailles, Maison Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2, Vision of Escaflowne, Rurouni Kenshin, Gunbuster, several Ghibli films, Now & Then Here and There.

Oh & I am also highly enjoying Legend of the Galactic Heroes (although I am nowhere near finished that).
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I find this talk of older fans/newer fans rather fascinating, because my two older children would be considered newer fans, but they have an appreciation for older anime.

My 11-year-old likes the 1960s Astro Boy series, the Speed Racer series from the 1960s, Voltron, and the Dragon Ball franchise. My 14-year-old likes Star Blazers, Robotech, and the Dragon Ball franchise. I guess I can chalk this up to the fact that they have parents who like the older anime, and they've grown up having it around the house. That's not to say that they don't enjoy newer titles than these, because they do. Of course, "newer" could be relative here (the "newer" series they like are things like Naruto, Fruits Basket, Chobits, and Case Closed).

The other week, my 14-year-old introduced her best friend to a couple of series: Case Closed and Star Blazers. Her friend (who is a big fan of Black Butler currently, and was really big into Ouran High School Host Club earlier in the school year), seemed to like what she saw of Case Closed. Star Blazers not so much. Her friend's comments after seeing the first episode of Star Blazers was that the Earth was in danger, the Argo had to do something physically impossible, IQ-9 was weird, and that Derek Wildstar had awesome hair.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Tenchi is a perfect example of a harem anime people liked because it was one of their first, if not THE first they watched. Its not really anything special compared to other harem anime once you watch a lot of others. I didn't watch it until a couple years ago myself... its a similar situation with Love Hina.

you watched the love hina anime.. my god ryan I am so sorry.. that had to have been painful.

@chagen well i don't think there is anything wrong with removing male characters from a show if they want to do it. Setting my sexual prefences aside "that would fill up a huge list alone" shows like yuru yuri or k-on can be fun in doses. It is when they go over the line of nearing the 50 ep mark that I get worried...Also keep in mind they do have some decent yuri romance series out there like aoi hana where you couldn't have a male lead becasue the female lead is..gay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

you watched the love hina anime.. my god ryan I am so sorry.. that had to have been painful.

Love Hina was a perfectly fine show...in 2002.

It did not age well.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Love Hina was a perfectly fine show...in 2002.

It did not age well.

that's what I am talking about.. i collected all the singles back in high school and tried to re-watch it the other day. I sat down and thought what the hell was i thinking?? I actually liked watching this?? I also have the specials and again which I find more bearable to sit through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Ken Akamatsu can never get a good adaption, can he?

I never saw the anime, but Love Hina was the absolute first manga I ever read. That....probably explains a lot of things about my anime fandom, probably.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Nope. I think the late 90s was better.

We got Bebop, Trigun, Berserk, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Princess Mononoke, Jin-Roh...(not to mention Lain, Escaflowne, Outlaw Star, Eat Man, Utena, Perfect Blue)...all in a period of a few years.

Of course, you neglect to mention all the other shows that aired at the same time, and no one remembers because they, well, weren't very good.

Yes...and I also neglected to mention all the modern day shit because comparing the crappy shows is just stupid. Nobody cares about the bad shows. If a show is bad, you can simply not watch it. What matters are the good shows. Hence, that is what I base my comparison on.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't even bother distinguishing between "old" and "new" anime any more - it's just anime. I'm a relatively new fan (since January 2009) so my initial viewing was very heavily weighted toward newer stuff. I have to admit the old school designs and look were a bit of a turn off for me compared to the slicker, newer production values. But I quickly got over that. It's the same old story, right? You get used to something so you sort of automatically start seeking out something that's different.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Panon:
Quote:
And one of the details of that license was that on it's expiry, all the work they did and materials involved reverted to HG ownership - in effect, they just used Animeigo to do work for them, a remaster job that could be used for an upgraded re-release of Robotech.

And how is that different from what any Japanese middle-man would do?

Quote:
Them allowing it to be released wasn't some act of benevolence.

No, but it disproves the boogeyman portrayal of HG that they do not want to expand interest in Macross and please the hardcore fans.

Quote:
Bandai Visual and Big West quite rightfully will not for any price give any other Macross to HG or anybody who makes deals with them, .

I'm not sure how that's rightful, when it will just encourage piracy of said shows. It's certainly not good for Studio Nue or Kawamori.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Yes...and I also neglected to mention all the modern day shit because comparing the crappy shows is just stupid. Nobody cares about the bad shows. If a show is bad, you can simply not watch it. What matters are the good shows. Hence, that is what I base my comparison on.

Ok, but you listed a group of shows that aired over some period (like 5 years or so, don't feel like checking), which are generally known to be "good". I could probably find an equivalent set over any given period.

There is a reason that anime from the late 90s is held in high regard among a large segment of Western fandom, and its not because that period produced a statistically larger number of high quality shows.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Tenchi is a perfect example of a harem anime people liked because it was one of their first, if not THE first they watched. Its not really anything special compared to other harem anime once you watch a lot of others. I didn't watch it until a couple years ago myself... its a similar situation with Love Hina.

Haha. Sometimes I think I should go back and revisit the Love Hina anime and then I realize I still own the manga and should dig that out instead if I ever want to revisit the series.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
There is a reason that anime from the late 90s is held in high regard among a large segment of Western fandom, and its not because that period produced a statistically larger number of high quality shows.

I think that time period is actually a freaky period in anime because of that high number of decent shows, the same way I feel about 1988 being the best year for mecha/sci-fi anime ever. I could easily add Gasaraki, Crest of the Stars, GitS, Armitage III, Blue Gender, a bunch of other titles from the same 5 years he lists. Maybe there's more to it, but it also feels like a way to recoup for not much coming out in the early 90s during to the economy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10