• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Exclusive Dragonball: Evolution World Premiere Pictures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
testorschoice wrote:

If you're objecting to the product placement, that's ironic, given that the first cartoon was a fun 30-minute toy commercial. Smile

Theirs a difference between making actual character toys for a glorified toy commercial vs. being a corporate shill and completely ignoring established continuity.

1) The "glorified toy commercial" was made for the toys, not the other way around
2) The origins of Transformers is a model example of "corporate shilling" and ignoring established continuity. Please look up the stories of Diaclone, Microman, Beetras, Macross, Dorvack, and see how much of those established continuities were ignored in creating Transformers for Hasbro. (Remember, thanks to the comics and the conflicting cartoon episodes, there are multiple Transformers continuities from the beginning anyways. Look up the multiple Constructicon origins.) They were fun stories, but let's not over-inflate "continuity" or gloss over the rough edges of corporatism.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
[Mod Edit:] You were already warned once.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5