• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shangri-La -- discussion thread.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomFortress

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
RPGamer246 wrote:
is it just me or does kunikos boomerang change size?
She's got two of them; small one for precision & accuracy, and the big one for assault & power. But she's not very good at handling the big one, for she lacks skill & grace when she just stopped the big one by force instead of absorbing the impact,
RPGamer246

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
ah i see, your right. i took a look at the episode again and saw that she puts the big one in the ground and then takes the small one out which i didn't notice the first time. thanks
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that was great how she was stopping the big one by kicking it at the moment and it was pretty funny on the second time Smile Wouldn't want to feel how that felt, ouch. It'll be fun to watch her get better with it too.

The advanced looking small one that folds up also seems to have some sort of electrical component as when she was hitting the soldiers using it as a close range weapon you could hear an electric shock kind of sound and a special effect. Totally cool weapon.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The second episode of Shangri-La was alright. I'm just a little angry that the show doesn't really follow Kuniko very closely. It's all over the place one scene it's with Kuniko than another in a unknown place. For me I find this a little agrevating. Some may say different but this is the only problem I'm having right now.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I am willing to give this series a try, it looks somewhat interesting. But until I see the first episode, I won't be able to make a accurate guess.

Hopefully I'll enjoy this series.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Analog_Now wrote:
I'm just a little angry that the show doesn't really follow Kuniko very closely. It's all over the place one scene it's with Kuniko than another in a unknown place. For me I find this a little agrevating. Some may say different but this is the only problem I'm having right now.

That's the only problem I'm having with the series. I wouldn't say it's aggravating, but I think the fact that the first episode introduced so many characters at once is causing the show to have to jump around a lot very early in the game. Not familiar with the novel, but I wonder if there's quite a bit of material to cover? Doesn't bother me too much, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The new ep was not bad, but it's not great. The series will probably not be anywhere close to Gonzo's best.

Once again, we got no explanation whatsoever about what happened to the world, and why. For example, why is the jungle dangerous? etc. It also agravates me that while showing all the different characters in action, they give absolutely no background on why they are there, what country they are from, what their standpoints are. Besides that, the transsexual guy is friggin' annoying, and most of the "villains" or w/e they are (I call them villains because of the super-super-evil music in the BG) are pretty laughable and over-the-top.

That said, the little girl with heterochromia is absolutely awesome, but I say that probably just cause I absolutely love cute evil lolis Very Happy Twisted Evil
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Well I watched the first episode and I am not interested in watching the rest. But oh well, at least I gave the series a fair chance.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Well I watched the first episode and I am not interested in watching the rest. But oh well, at least I gave the series a fair chance.

You call only one episode fair? Ah well, guess I should stop expecting things of people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
This episode was not as great as episode 1, but this series remains my season favorite so far.

Weaknesses:

-Lady Ryoko needs some development. The evil music and slapping around of body guards isn't enough, she needs to do something truly twisted like what Delphine did in Last Exile by spoiler[denying her people water for fun, and turning Dio into a living doll]. Lady Ryoko wants to be cruel and malicious-she's not there yet.

-While I appreciated the technobabble and magnitude of what Karin was doing, we spent way too much time on her. We already know she's doing this to grab attention from her parents (presumably Lady Ryoko and that...thing...). I do find Medusa's "help me, help me" refrain a bit creepy though.

-The direction was bland, and it stuck out in this episode.

Strengths:

-The music, especially the scene when they're in the toxic jungle (discounting Ryoko's "theme" music of course)

-The intersecting character plotlines and the general unexplained-ness of everything. I'm really hoping they don't screw this up with a major exposition because I'm a big fan of letting the story unravel itself, and so far I think people who are complaining about no proper exposition are over complicating stuff. It's kind of simple actually. We've got three factions- Atlas, the place where everyone wants to be, ruled by Lady Ryoko; the kingdom Mikumi rules (apparently there is a lower class there along with the priestess women); and the Duomo, which houses the outcasts and the metal-age anti-gov't organization. All three of these places have members with sigil, or the vibrating knives (also, we know from episode one that Kuniko is the sun while Mikumi is the moon). Also, someone just attacked the Duomo in the middle of an Atlas attack, and both Atlas and the Duomo want to know who (it could be Mikumi but we don't know yet).

-Mikumi's characterization. spoiler[Now that was evil, what she did. Yuck. That's what Lady Ryoko should be doing]

-the toxic jungle. I don't care if it's stolen straight from Nausicaa (especially the part about getting oxygen poisoning because GASP the forest is regenerating itself) because I liked it a whole lot in Nausicaa and I like it here.

-Momoko's VA
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
^ I agree with you completely on Lady Ryouko; she's also almost a complete ripoff from Delphine in terms of design, and I hate rehashes. On the other hand, while the tech crazy loli part was boring, it was about the only thing in the episode to explain, at least a bit, how the world and the economy works, so it's not a waste.

That said, there's been another thing bothering me. Do we REALLY need more than one twisted leader?
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:

That said, there's been another thing bothering me. Do we REALLY need more than one twisted leader?

Oh no, I love it. I'm not even sure who the real villain is yet- Ryoko may turn out to be small potatoes compared to Mikumi. Or maybe Mikuni will be helpful to Kuniko. Having three elements certainly adds a level, doesn't it?
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
^I'm liking that aspect as well Twisted Evil
About Ryoko, I'm sure her characterization will come. I feel that Delphine's wickedness in Last Exile didn't fully come along until quite a bit later, so I'm confident it'll be the same here. Then again, as you said, she may not even be the villain.
As I said in the preview talkback, this show reminds me greatly of both Last Exile and Naussica, and since I rank both of those pieces as some of the best anime I've ever seen, it works in favor of Shangri-La.
This one and Phantom are definitely my favorites of the season Very Happy
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Ausdoerrt wrote:

Oh no, I love it. I'm not even sure who the real villain is yet- Ryoko may turn out to be small potatoes compared to Mikumi. Or maybe Mikuni will be helpful to Kuniko. Having three elements certainly adds a level, doesn't it?

Well, the only really evil one thus far is the loli. The other oe just gets the music. Besides, she looked like more of an underling to that spoiler[mutant thingy].

As for the Nauscicaa comparison, to me it feels more like the show is "borrowing" (a more mild form of a direct ripoff) the ideas rather than is being inspired. As for the Last Exile, the similarity more or less ends with the art style.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

You call only one episode fair? Ah well, guess I should stop expecting things of people.

With all due respect ( I really don't want to anger or cause hurt feelings) with sci fi series such as this, one can pretty much tell what will happen in later episodes. Initially when I viewed the trailer, I had thought the series would be primarily about the main character and some of the other characters.

But with the exception of the tough older man and the main character, the rest of characters looked slightly odd (especially the one with the bear.)

I seldom ever watch Sci Fi, so this is a first in a while. But partway through the episode, I somewhat lost interest and was hoping it would become more interesting. I can't speak for everyone else, but I typically will only watch one episode to determine if I'll enjoy the series or not (unless of course the series is licensed, then I will rent or watch here for theat series).

Toradora was the only exception to this rule of mine. But in this case, Toradora was a romantic comedy/drama, not a Sci Fi series. Although I use the same judging criteria for almost all the genes I watch, seldom do I ever watch a second episode if I am unsure if I am enjoying the series or not.

I've been watching anime for now eight years, so by no means am I am new to the field. I've seen plenty of anime, from all diffrent catogory and types. That is why I strive to respect other people's favorite shows and not criticize them.

I'll admit the series had a great start, but I just didn't really get into the rest of the episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7