• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Brothers Acquire Live-Action Death Note Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
skins2153 wrote:
If it were up to me, I would only keep the core "Kira VS L" conflict and rewrite the entire story... Just like transformers. ADAPTATION not a 1:1 story is needed here. Mainstream audiences wont get into shinigami or anything presented besides MAYBE the actual deathnote.

Its a great Killer vs detective story. The supernatual aspect just needs to be changed into a form more suitable to everyone.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025037/

Hollywood managed it as a major component of a 1934 film which has been remade a few times, why would it not be mainstream now? Songs? We have Reaper on TV which turns the job into working for the Devil. Supernatural has multiple reapers. Charmed had a Death personification.
Everything I've read suggests Shinigami were taken from our Reapers. I don't think Americans could have that big a problem accepting the idea of Shinigami, even if they change calling them reapers. The idea of a book in which the names of people are written (book of life) is pretty common, also.

skins2153 wrote:

Also, totally increase the age group here about 15-20 years so actors can do their jobs. Good actors doing good jobs...that hasn't gone outa fashion has it?

Leo would be good for either role.

Why move the ages up?
God knows we've had 20 & 30-somethings playing teens forever. Were any of the Happy Days stars teens while they were playing them? (never really paid that much attention to it). Roddy McDowall played teens into his 40's. (or close-The Cool Ones released 1967 when he was 39).
Part of the deduction is the killer is young by his idealism. Upping him to his 20's would change that aspect to more how the Yotsuba group behaved. The supernatural aspect also needs to remain since it is the only reasonspoiler[ Kira beat L]. L knew who Kira was early on--it was the lack of evidence that could stand up in court that held things back.
All Light has to be is egotistical. L has to be a crazy genius, dry would be a big help. We've seen both characters in many, many movies. In fact, it's the fairly standard mix for a detective story. Columbo was eccentric in his rumpled coat, acting sort of bumpkiny so that his opponents considered him no threat. Sleuth.
DN has always been a huge game of cat-and-mouse.
Dune

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I know this has been quoted before, but..
Quote:
Psh, they'll ruin the characters. They'll probably make Light a high school... student... okay, but he'll probably be some pretty... boy. Well, L probably... won't be Japanese... huh.

Sh-shut up!

Laughing
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Hexon.Arq wrote:
Jesus, I read through the past projects of those involved, and the list begins to read like The Losers' Club.

Yes, it did. I'll give you that. I do not have much faith in those writers. (The producers seemed okay. That's not a creative position so much as an executive one, and The Grudge got by on smooth marketing and wasn't poorly handled financially in any way iirc.) Still, those writers don't look promising.

But that's where the studio system becomes your friend. Depending on how much money they sink into this project and how long it takes to produce, the material could change writers and producers and directors' hands 2-5 times, and it often does. Studios do NOT want to waste money on anything. If something bombs, it darn well better have been cheap to make. (Dragonball Evolution didn't really bomb because it did, in fact, make a wee bit of money compared to its LOW production costs. A wee bit. I hope that's not enough for their wicked little sequel idea.)

So depending on how it's handled, this movie could come out as early as eight years or so (as late as never) and have gone through four writers. This is really early stuff we're looking at right now, rights have just now been acquired, the project hasn't so much as been slated, much less green-lit into any pre-production,which could take forever unless WB has nothing better to look at right now.

Now if this is a tank project, yes, it could come out in four years under the same team, and yes it will suck and have low production values in limited release to boot. -.-' But I can cross my fingers. Wink

Dargonxtc wrote:
Can we at least say this... I hope it's better than Dragonball: Evo.

Like a lot better. Can we at least get a C movie?

Yeah, that's honestly all I'm hoping for, too. I just want a good guilty pleasure movie out of this endeavor. This is Death Note, after all. It's high concept shock-drama, which can make a movie all by itself without masterful direction. (Ringu? Speed? Independence Day?) And unlike those last two examples, budget-wise, it's not like Death Note is difficult either, with the exception of Ryuk who may or may not be in the movie. I'm really hoping for just an enjoyable B-movie.

(You don't want C, dargon, Dragonball was a B-movie, and C-movies are TV movies. Those letters refer to production and release, not critical quality. Independent films are exempt from the lettering thing, and I don't think there is a D classification, but I could be wrong.)

EdoRocksMySocks wrote:
I really, really agree. I mean, Alessandro is only 31. He could easily play L, I mean, L's only about 29 or 30 years old, right? And he looks perfect. Did you go to the L Change the WorLd movie? They had him dressed up as L, sitting like L in a scene. It looked PERFECT.

No, really? I thought they just overdubbed that movie. Was there a quick behind-the-sceney thing at the end or something? I WANT A PICTURE! Shocked That sounds AWESOME.

(Unrelated random note: I actually hate watching dubbed live-action movies, and always watch them subtitled, yes, even Death Note, even though the VAs were great. Yet I really hate watching an anime subbed if a good dub is available. There are detailed reasons why, but I won't go into them.)

EdoRocksMySocks wrote:
Then how would you want Ryuk to be done? Honestly, I think the CGI is perfect. It allows his English voice actor to voice him too, especially if the company wants to save on money.

Well, I'm all for keeping Brian Drummond. He was a great Ryuk, and I especially loved his "emphyzema laugh." *kyyyyyyaUGH-hah-hah-hah!*

But if you remember what Ryuk looked like in the Japanese movie, you know that all CG has its problems. He did not look or feel like part of the scene, especially because of the model's tendency to keep clean and high-res in a world that was dirty and dark.

What is and has always been the best way to do these things is composite. Part live model. Part animatronics. Part CG. You use each where it's most appropriate in not drawing attention to itself but instead backing the story visually. For instance, use a costumed actor for scenes where only part of Ryuk's body is visible or he's shrouded in darkness and not moving much. (Pointing fingers, his introduction to Light during the thunderstorm, etc.) Use puppets or animatronic models for scenes where Ryuk is seen doing something you can't do in costume. (His disproportionate arms gesturing in weird ways, stuffing whole apples in his mouth, you know.) Then use CG for more complicated details: facial movements when we see Ryuk close-up, and of course, his wings when flying. The wings could be CG, but the body should be "real.") These are just examples, but they enhance believability for the audience, and perhaps more importantly, the actors that interact with this creepy thing.

That's how they did The Chronicles of Narnia, and whatever you might think of that movie, there's no denying that the animals and monsters were VERY convincing. Especially Aslan, who was not always CG, either.

Or since we're talking Warner Bros. (and lower budgets,) try to remember the dinky kids' movie Cats and Dogs. Stupid movie. Good compositing. If all those animals had been CG all the time, it would have looked plasticine. So they used puppeteering everywhere they could, as well as the real animals when possible.

CCSYueh wrote:
Part of the deduction is the killer is young by his idealism. Upping him to his 20's would change that aspect to more how the Yotsuba group behaved.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Change Light to an adult and his motivation loses its spark. The fascination factor is just gone if Light is some white-collar smart guy. No, make him a bored young student. "One of the best and brightest." That's the only kind of person who would be naiive and ambitious enough to choose a future as overlord of a world he intends to perfect through murder. Well, that or some hermity nutjob, but that's no fun.

I also agree on the supernatural aspect for the same reasons but also another one: it's actually harder to write around than it would be to just accept it and go with it. More fun for the writers too, I'd wager. Ironically, you have to leave the supernatural factor in for the story to be believable and understandable. Weird, huh?
nick0991

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
neggiimmaa wrote:
where is my evangelion live action? or my akira live action? HUH???

Akira? Oh dicaprio is F*cking that up right now. He's already changed Neo-Tokyo to Neo-Manhattan. So he's changing the source material so i won't see it unless the cgi is mind blowing and Johnny yong Bosch is Kanade...
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
No, no! You're all wrong!

You see, WB is going to sit on these rights, say for about 6 years, and do nothing with them.

Then, Fox is going to say "Yo! Check out all the hype over Death Note. Let's make a movie and cash in!"

Fox makes the movie. WB then turns and screams it has the rights and sues Fox.

Forums rage with flames over the possible cancellation of the movie.

The smoke clears, a judge decides a victory, and the movie's released.

The movie bombs.

If there's anything that Hollywood can do successfully, it's repeating its mistakes.
MJP

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Kira: Zac Efron
Ryuk: Dick Cheney
Misa: Paris Hilton
Aizawa: Samuel L. Jackson
Rem: Amy Winehouse
san-chan

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
GAH! T___T It seems like american companies are running out of ideas (or/and scriptwriters...) Mad Lets see, transformers, astro boy, dragon ball and now death note?! *Sigh* Why does the japanese company agree to let them have the rights I wonder - probably they think it's good because their series gets spread over the world - but I fear that this movie will get all credit. And all those people who don't know much/anything about manga will think that it's Warner brothers who created it.
And on another note, I'm worried about the actors as well, and what Ryuk will look like.... Shocked
grooven

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
MJP wrote:
Kira: Zac Efron
Ryuk: Dick Cheney
Misa: Paris Hilton
Aizawa: Samuel L. Jackson
Rem: Amy Winehouse

Don't even go there Anime hyper Laughing
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
What about Misa? I hope they don't make her into like "The only person he ever loved" I hope they keep her as the selfish and stupid, naive girl that she was. Maybe Kiyomi will be in it too. Not that she was any better as a character.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize all those movies listed were remakes (like The Departed)- now I have to look into the originals. My Netflix account thanks you, ANN!

As for Death Note, when I saw this I was kinda surprised, considering Japan's already done three live action adaptations. But, I'm gonna keep in open mind because this COULD be great!
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
No, no! You're all wrong!

You see, WB is going to sit on these rights, say for about 6 years, and do nothing with them.

Then, Fox is going to say "Yo! Check out all the hype over Death Note. Let's make a movie and cash in!"

Fox makes the movie. WB then turns and screams it has the rights and sues Fox.

Forums rage with flames over the possible cancellation of the movie.

The smoke clears, a judge decides a victory, and the movie's released.

The movie bombs.

If there's anything that Hollywood can do successfully, it's repeating its mistakes.

LOL.

I could've sworn it was the other way around when they did the Watchmen.

I was wondering, instead of shinigami looking like the designs in the original manga, what if they were substituted with human looking shinigami?

*shrugs.* dunno. I find this a lot easier to adapt than Dragon Ball, though.

And next to that it's WB. Once again, I will not feel scarred if this movie is terrible.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I was wondering, instead of shinigami looking like the designs in the original manga, what if they were substituted with human looking shinigami?

No. Just drop that abysmal line of reasoning. Knowing Hollywood, they would try and cast Ryuk as a young handsome male, and Rem as an "older" (read: less than thirty) female. Why? Because generally, those who are ugly by Hollywood standards are perfectly normal (or beautiful) in reality.

I want Death Gods who look evil, not Charmed's take on the subject.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

No. Just drop that abysmal line of reasoning. Knowing Hollywood, they would try and cast Ryuk as a young handsome male, and Rem as an "older" (read: less than thirty) female. Why? Because generally, those who are ugly by Hollywood standards are perfectly normal (or beautiful) in reality.

I want Death Gods who look evil, not Charmed's take on the subject.

....geeze, didn't think you'd be so passionate to send me something I could care less about reading. That page was a little too much.

I never really liked Charmed, btw. Angel, FTW.

You could've compressed it down a little. =/

I'm just saying, I don't think I would care if they were human looking. the thought of that doesn't really bother me for some reason. If they manage to do a better CGI job than the Japanese LA movie, then Kudos to them.

Of course the Shinigami listed in the DN manga are there for a reason, otherwise it would kind of change the perspective of the movie a bit. Like the bus scene where he gets scared of the Shinigami. It can work.

Give them a chance to do what?! I'm in a forum, it's not like they're reading my posts. xD
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
This is a good idea.

Death Note, much like Cowboy Bebop, and unlike DragonBall, is a easy goal for HollyWood.

These are the kinds of movies that already exist and are thriving through the entertainment industry.

I mean, seriously, HOW can you manage to ruin the series that is as simple as people dying when their name is written in a book? I mean, come on, that's pretty straight forward.

If they change that aspect, then it wouldn't be called Death Note.

As for the geographic location of the story, it really doesn't matter. Japan, or even if they decide to move the plot into America. It never really played a large role in the series.. apart from that first deduction L made, which can easily be trans-located to any other popular city on the globe.

Anyway, if this breaks through, I have high-hopes for this movie. I'd expect it to get a much better reception than even Transformers.
plastique

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Instead of a teen flick, they should make it as an Oscar-bait movie aimed at a middle-aged audience.

Light: Al Pacino
L: Philip Seymour Hoffman
Misa: Meryl Streep
Ryuuk: Clint Eastwood
Rem: Anthony Hopkins

Director: Ron Howard

Complete with orchestra soundtrack and overacting, give-me-my-Oscar speeches. Critics compare it to A Beautiful Mind, the Cider House Rules, and the Bridges of Madison County. Anime catgrin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7