• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fairy Tail Manga Gets TV Anime Green-Lit for Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhosAsking

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
fuzaco wrote:
Uhm, what the heck are you talking about?

"His artwork and Eiichiro Oda's are greatly similar, but that is due to both of them being influenced largely by Akira Toriyama's work growing up."

That's not Oda's style, it's Hiro's style. The two are similar, that's the all. How could he just copy a style? You could copy any style and use it in your whole life?
I never thought of Hiro Mashima's style as being related to Akira Toriyama, but now that I think about it, I can see the resemblence as well as the similarity to that of Oda (which I did see).

I think the main complaint about Mashima is his lack of focus. based on what I've seen with the Rave manga, he has an unsettling tendency to ramble and/or drift. It makes me wonder if he actually sets goals and/or milestones for his storylines or if he thinks about overall themes to help keep the storyline focused. Say what you will about Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece (the mangas, that is), but at least they stay focused enough to keep the interest level up, and you get the impression that the story's at least heading somewhere. If I had to sum it up in a statement, it would be a question: "Will you please just get on with it?"
Rile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Akira Toriyama's style is a little different from oda's wtf. it looks somewhat similar but goku dont look like nobody from one piece. therefore the style they all draw different accept for the fairy tail shit. trying to copy oda.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Rile wrote:
Akira Toriyama's style is a little different from oda's wtf. it looks somewhat similar but goku don't look like nobody from one piece. therefore the style they all draw different accept for the fairy tail shit. trying to copy oda.

Mashima confirmed it himself at San Diego Comic Con 2008 that his artwork inspiration is from Toriyama, NOT Oda. If anything, the art resemblence to Oda can be considered a coincidence.
babynaruto1 wrote:
When will the English Dub be released?

When it's done.
cnet128

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
It's a pretty outrageous coincidence, though, if so. I find it hard to believe that there wasn't some kind of influence from Oda, even if Mashima doesn't realise it himself ><
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
fuzaco wrote:
There is a PSP game, named "Sunday VS Magazine: Shuuketsu! Choujou Daikessen!". According to Wikipedia, Natsu and Lucy are also playable characters. Natsu's seiyuu is Miyu Irino, while Lucy's is Mika Kikuchi in the game. I wonder if they will be the ones in the anime too.

Wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_VS_Magazine:_Shuuketsu!_Choujou_Daikessen!

While it's a foot in the door, the VA's for games or drama cd's sometimes are replaced for the anime.

Oda & Mashima are both influenced by Dragonball. Go back & read the adventures of Goku as a child. In particular Luffy is more a mix of Goku's innocence/stupidity & Krillin's evil streak (when he's mad at a crewmember). Natsu actually has a fricken brain. Nami's an evil wicked thing. Lucy's closer to Bulma for being a team player.
I mean, come on. Shuda looks like fan art of Vegeta. Toriyama's influence is obvious. His art is clean with pretty good proportions which is more where Mashima's coming from. Oda's style is also clean, but more on the cartoony or extreme side.
abynormal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
The one reason I still prefer Fairy Tale over One Piece is that I find the former much easier to read. I've always found OP's panels overly cluttered and busy. There's so much going on in each frame that I start getting disoriented and my eyes don't know what to focus on half the time. Wait, is it this guy right here, or that big thing in the background? Wait, there's like a hundred people running around, too! Just look at the latest arc (Impel Down), which had at least fifty named and extra characters in each panel.

To me, FT's artist seems to know how to restrain himself and can show a lot of action in his panels without making them too busy.

I think they both have their merits, and if you want to call FT "One Piece Light," then go ahead. I guess I just prefer the lighter flavor Anime hyper

On topic: I for one am happy it's finally being animated, and by Satellite, who has a great track record as far as production values go. I'll look forward to watching.
Elydan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I am happy they are making an Anime adaption of Fairy Tail, finally. I was suspecting this for a longer while now; and was wondering when the announcement was going to be made. Can't wait to see the full action scenes and colored versions of both Natsu, Grey and the whole of Fairy Tail.

I am also worried though. Not as much in the Anime adaption, seeing how it is handled by two good studio's. I am worried since the manga, in my view, is becoming more and more like Rave. A manga I did not like.

Rave starts out nicely. But drafts on and on about the same thing. After reading through more arcs; it just felled as if I was reading the same thing over and over again. Not much varsity in action scenes; they cry and whine about the same stuff every single time they cry/whine and... I grown especially tired of the manga I was happy with at first.

I am worried for Fairy Tail since Fairy Tail resembles Rave too much!
I mean, every single character in there (Gerard and the Oracion Six for example) resembles a character in his other story. Which shows that his imagination; even though not at first noticeable, is somewhat limited. He has troubles coming up with new things. Therefor, he drafts on with the story he had imagined so far (which was good).

Even though Fairy Tail is exceptionally better than Rave, and seems like a 'pimped up version' of Rave, it also lacks in a few area's.

For one, I see no direction. Just like in Rave, characters that should not be there keep on returning into the story. Besides that, not much news is learned by the characters and the action scenes (despite looking really cool) can sometimes come over bland.

I just don't know what direction Fairy Tail wants to go to. I mean, I get that Natsu wants to be stronger and meet his teach. But there's not much development going on. And just like in Rave, I am seeing them 'cry' more and more, while I am not feeling anything... because of 'why' they cry. I mean seriously, in One Piece I am really, honestly, feeling bad or excited whenever something bad happens. While with Fairy Tail (besides the Luxor moments) it just feels dragged and forced.
I hope he changes that and surpasses Rave and in stead of using Rave as an example, created something better.

A lot of people blame the animation studio's for Rave's failing. But honestly, the story was no good material to begin with.

Cheers,
ChaoticDisturbance

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Shocked Shocked EVERYONE: please, stop comparing One Piece with Fairy Tail!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
*One Piece has been going on for literally 12 years

*Fairy Tail only for 4 years. (Source: wikipedia)

***One Piece has been around for sooo long that a new anime like Fairy Tail still has a l-o-n-g way to go!!! However, I will ABSOLUTELY watch Fairy Tail and I am most pleased that a (TV) anime series will be produced!!! I'm very glad and can't wait!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
ChaoticDisturbance wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked EVERYONE: please, stop comparing One Piece with Fairy Tail!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

***One Piece has been around for sooo long that a new anime like Fairy Tail still has a l-o-n-g way to go!!! However, I will ABSOLUTELY watch Fairy Tail and I am most pleased that a (TV) anime series will be produced!!! I'm very glad and can't wait!

So One Piece has been around longer than Fairy Tail. Why is that a reason not to compare them? Four years should be plenty of time to identify the direction and style a (weekly) manga has taken. The obvious reasons for comparison are that they have a similar aesthetic feel to them, and they're both long-running shonen adventures. The reason not to compare them is because... Fairy Tail is weak with plot execution and One Piece knows where it's going?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Elydan wrote:
Rave starts out nicely. But drafts on and on about the same thing. After reading through more arcs; it just felled as if I was reading the same thing over and over again. Not much varsity in action scenes; they cry and whine about the same stuff every single time they cry/whine and... I grown especially tired of the manga I was happy with at first

One of the difs between Rave & FT is FT's goal is more general than Rave's more singular goal. Rave was more take out the evil dude while FT is more like One Piece with pretty much every guild member wanting to get stronger (as is the point in most guilds in most games I've played--get loot & up the hit points). In fact, real life there are the people who coast & the ones who want to be the best in their field.

Elydan wrote:
I am worried for Fairy Tail since Fairy Tail resembles Rave too much!
I mean, every single character in there (Gerard and the Oracion Six for example) resembles a character in his other story. Which shows that his imagination; even though not at first noticeable, is somewhat limited. He has troubles coming up with new things. Therefor, he drafts on with the story he had imagined so far (which was good).

Understand every author on the planet gets writers block.
We also see many artists who have a certain range of art which can be annoying, but just because Haru & Natsu look similar doesn't mean they are the same character. I dropped off of Rave around vol 20 only because I had too many other titles to keep up with, but 6 volumes in on FT I don't see Haru & Natsu as the same, nor is Natsu near as simple as Luffy & other shonen heroes. Grey & Musica are very different & so far (vol 6) no jiggle butt bandits.
I see way more fantasy game mode to FT. I know my daughter has gotten hooked on WoW & goes on & on about getting gear & raiding, etc. Unlike a game one plays on Playstation or whatever, there isn't an "end", just on & on & on.

Quote:
So One Piece has been around longer than Fairy Tail. Why is that a reason not to compare them? Four years should be plenty of time to identify the direction and style a (weekly) manga has taken. The obvious reasons for comparison are that they have a similar aesthetic feel to them, and they're both long-running shonen adventures. The reason not to compare them is because... Fairy Tail is weak with plot execution and One Piece knows where it's going?

How about comparing them along the same point then? One Piece up to it's 4th year vs FT & not One Piece after 12 yrs to FT?
ChaoticDisturbance

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

***Hey, when I wrote this, I was feelling kinda lazy and didn't write any explanation to why you "can't compare One Piece with Fairy Tail." From your reply, it became quite evident that you have DEFINITELY NOT watched One Piece yet, correct? I mean, it should be too obvious that if an anime has been around for 8 years more than another anime, it is too obvious to assume that that anime is way ahead in everything, including story-line, character development, fan numbers, etc, etc, etc. It's too obvious!!! There's no comparison between the two. Some people have even gone as far as comparing the protagonists. Luffy is without a doubt the best protagonist I know. I've watched nearly 100 animes, and One Piece's protagonist is incomparable. Gatts from Berserk (manga) comes very close to Luffy, but no other. (Sorry, I'm still too lazy to explain more. I'm kinda busy watching something.) I don't see a point in explaining an issue that is self-explanatory. 12 years > 8 years, so the longer one is by default going to be many more times better in everything. I did say I'm glad to watch Fairy Tail, didn't I? Hey, right now I'm watching a romance anime called True Tears.Check it out here: http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=2129 and at the bottom, read the very well-written reviews that were so good that they made me want to check out the anime immediately! (gogoanime.com is the best site i know to watch anime.)
-Well, if the message annoys you, just disregard it. :p
-
larethian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Sure, OP has great character development, interesting character backgrounds, and a real good dose of humour. Its fillers are also not that boring and they don't span a lot of episodes. The studio that did the series was great. But that's not what set it apart for me personally.

The key components, imho, that really set OP apart are 2 things:
(1) the creativity and originality of the setting, I mean how did he come up with the ideas of log pose, calm belts, and a bunch of other stuff. makes it extremely refreshing and I dare say no fictional world in manga or anime has come close imho.

(2) awesome story telling! it seems that Oda sensei already has a very big picture in mind. the story keeps building up, and even after 500 over chapters, my expectations are exceeded without fail for every arc. it has a knack for linking events and people together. at times, some insignificant event which one will forget in due time, turns out to be a part of a greater jigsaw puzzle.

I can only say that Oda's work is absolutely ingenious and deserve the title of being the "best" imho. And I somehow get the feeling that he's a player of old-skool roleplaying games.

That aside, I do enjoy Fairy Tail and really look forward to this! Hope my favourite seiyuus get casted in this!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote
***Hey, when I wrote this, I was feelling kinda lazy and didn't write any explanation to why you "can't compare One Piece with Fairy Tail." From your reply, it became quite evident that you have DEFINITELY NOT watched One Piece yet, correct?

Technically correct: I have watched none of the One Piece anime. However, I have read over a third of the available manga.
Quote:
I mean, it should be too obvious that if an anime has been around for 8 years more than another anime, it is too obvious to assume that that anime is way ahead in everything, including story-line, character development, fan numbers, etc, etc, etc. It's too obvious!!! There's no comparison between the two. Some people have even gone as far as comparing the protagonists. Luffy is without a doubt the best protagonist I know. I've watched nearly 100 animes, and One Piece's protagonist is incomparable. Gatts from Berserk (manga) comes very close to Luffy, but no other. (Sorry, I'm still too lazy to explain more. I'm kinda busy watching something.) I don't see a point in explaining an issue that is self-explanatory. 12 years > 8 years, so the longer one is by default going to be many more times better in everything. I did say I'm glad to watch Fairy Tail, didn't I?

The longer one by default is better? Nonsense. Heck, with long running series, it is often the case that long-running series started out shining brightly, but eventually come to the point where they rest on their laurels, and the quality declines while the fill the space with lower quality material, knowing that enough fans won't abandon that this will remain profitable.

Note: my point is less that One Piece and Fairy Tail are comparable, and more that the argument that OP's greater age makes it superior is fallacious.
ChaoticDisturbance

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
***Hey, when I wrote this, I was feelling kinda lazy and didn't write any explanation to why you "can't compare One Piece with Fairy Tail." From your reply, it became quite evident that you have DEFINITELY NOT watched One Piece yet, correct?

Technically correct: I have watched none of the One Piece anime. However, I have read over a third of the available manga.
Quote:
I mean, it should be too obvious that if an anime has been around for 8 years more than another anime, it is too obvious to assume that that anime is way ahead in everything, including story-line, character development, fan numbers, etc, etc, etc. It's too obvious!!! There's no comparison between the two. Some people have even gone as far as comparing the protagonists. Luffy is without a doubt the best protagonist I know. I've watched nearly 100 animes, and One Piece's protagonist is incomparable. Gatts from Berserk (manga) comes very close to Luffy, but no other. (Sorry, I'm still too lazy to explain more. I'm kinda busy watching something.) I don't see a point in explaining an issue that is self-explanatory. 12 years > 8 years, so the longer one is by default going to be many more times better in everything. I did say I'm glad to watch Fairy Tail, didn't I?

The longer one by default is better? Nonsense. Heck, with long running series, it is often the case that long-running series started out shining brightly, but eventually come to the point where they rest on their laurels, and the quality declines while the fill the space with lower quality material, knowing that enough fans won't abandon that this will remain profitable.

Note: my point is less that One Piece and Fairy Tail are comparable, and more that the argument that OP's greater age makes it superior is fallacious.

Ok. Now I'm sure, you have NOT watched/read One Piece. Go watch the whole thing and read the manga to the latest chapter, and then, tell me if OP and FT will ever be on the same level. Darn, I already said I'm glad FT will become a (TV) series, so no need to argue with me. Let's just hope FT becomes a long-run series.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Ok. Now I'm sure, you have NOT watched/read One Piece. Go watch the whole thing and read the manga to the latest chapter, and then, tell me if OP and FT will ever be on the same level. Darn, I already said I'm glad FT will become a (TV) series, so no need to argue with me. Let's just hope FT becomes a long-run series.

Stop missing the point. I have read One Piece; I'm up to the Sky Island arc, but that isn't the point. The point is that you haven't justified why simply being longer is better.

By the way, if you paid attention, you'll realize I haven't taken a position on whether OP or FT is the better series. Mainly because I don't care either way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6