• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blast of Tempest (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Botan24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
You all can keep your Evangeline and super-mage girl! This time around the ladies got some male fanservice! And it was from Mahiro too, *swoon*. I have a thing for blonds. Embarassed

Anyway, I appreciated the backstory on Mahiro and Yoshino's friendship. It wasn't some mushy story either. That is doubly appreciated. This show definitely wants to take a darker road. What with all spoiler[the iron-infected dropping like flies (again) and the boys having to shelter in some dead person's* home.]

Still hanging out with this one.

spoiler[*The home owner is not shown to be dead or alive. However, it's pretty much implied that they are.]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Are the characters even trying to stop the events?

I got the impression Hakaze has something planned. They were collecting something Hakaze hid (I assume talismans) at the start of this episode, and next episode's preview mentions something about spoiler[a special talisman.]

I'm not sure what they could do with what they have now anyways. The ceremony that raises the fruit is being done by what looks like a hundred or so mages who knows where. Given that, I doubt Mahiro's skill with the talismans he has now would be able to directly interfere in any useful way.

I also noticed that Mahiro spoiler[was recording/taking a picture of the fruit that appeared this episode with his phone. If the fruits are heading to wherever the mages are gathered, perhaps he plans to use the headings of the fruit he's seen to determine their location.]

Quote:
Why don't they just try to find where Hakaze is?

An earlier episode had them commenting on the time difference between where Hakaze is and Japan, so they should at least know what time zone she is in. As for why they haven't tried to locate her further, well, simply knowing what time zone she's in isn't going to make the island easy to locate, especially since Samon hid it with his magic. Perhaps they could figure out her location with magic, but I'm guessing if such a thing is possible it's beyond what Mahiro is capable of doing now.

Quote:
Why didn't they get colds or even sneeze from being in the rain?

Ok, I assume you aren't being entirely serious with this one. The answer is that Yoshino is so cold hearted he doesn't get colds, and Mahiro took a nice hot bath to warm up afterwards. Very Happy

Quote:
Why aren't butterflies turned into iron? Plus living animals turn, but meats don't, unless the fridge protects it.

For the first question, I'm guessing whatever weird connection butterflies seem to have to the fruits protects them from the effects of the Black Iron Syndrome. So I guess the question is really "why do the fruits attract butterflies and make caterpillars instantly undergo metamorphosis?" I have no answer to that.

The second question, I imagine the magic/curse simply ignores things that aren't currently living.

The biggest question of all, though, is why did Samon exile Hakaze instead of just killing her? That was the question I had as soon as I heard the premise.

Blood- wrote:
Hey man, if I wanna relax, I'll take a nice hot shower. When I'm watching a show called "Blast of Tempest" I expect ... nay, DEMAND ... action and lots of it. Let's have no more boring flashback to our childhood episodes, shall we? And not even a frame of Legs Magee anywhere to be seen? Unforgivable.

I didn't find this last episode boring at all, but to each their own I suppose. That said, I'm afraid that if you want tons of over the top action, this may not be the show for you, at least if it stays faithful to the style of the manga. Adjust your expectations a bit and I think you may still really enjoy it though.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
That was a really strong episode. It's really great to see the show slow down a bit after the action packed introduction. I'm still really liking the characters and their relationship. It was nice to see them humanize the whole situation as well by paying some attention to the victims of the syndrome.
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed this episode. I thought the flashback was handled really well, and I'm loving the unorthodox relationship between Mahiro and Yoshino. I still think this series would work really well as a tragedy, but alas, with the manga still ongoing, it is highly unlikely. Oh well. Also, I have to say, I rather enjoyed the Mahiro fanservice- it's about time we ladies got something to match Hakaze being in her underwear all the time! xD The only issue I had was that Yoshino actively trying to save that old couple seemed to go against what the rest of the episode established about his character (he really doesn't seem to care about much of anything outside of himself), but maybe that's just me.

Looking forward to some more action next week! Very Happy
Riddley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit I'm constantly surprised by this show. Honestly it came across like your run-of-the-mill shonen anime but it's really showing some series chops and I'm loving it.

I find it somewhat disconcerting how attached you can get to a dead character btw.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

spoiler[Samon is playing a dangerous game.
I bet it will backfire sooner or later..
Aika & Yoshino at the aquarium flashbacks was nice ^^
Tetsuma makes an attempt to catch those two.
They made a nice run for it, successful as ever LOL
Can't wait for Hakaze to get off her island!]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

spoiler[Well, we get the explanation for why Samon didn't kill Hakaze when he had her in the barrel, and surprisingly it's not just "because there would be no show otherwise." We also see what Hakaze is planning to do in order to stop Samon, which is a bit of a risky plan if you think about it. She's quite confident that she will be able to stop the Tree of Exodus from destroying the world I guess. Well, from the little we saw of her power in the flashback, it makes sense.]

spoiler[Speaking of the flashback, the most interesting part of the flashback was not Hakaze's absurdly insane power (though it was nice to see what carved out the chunk of the mountain we saw in an earlier episode), but how earnest and sincere Samon seemed when trying to get Hakaze on his side. He didn't really seem much like a villain there.]

spoiler[The only part of the episode I felt was a little weak was the fight in the aquarium. It felt like they escaped from the mages a bit too easily. Well, it was stated that Natsumura was among the best fighters in the clan, so I guess Tetsuma and his minions aren't as much of a danger.]

spoiler[Oh, and those ending scenes... Certainly raises a lot of questions. Next episode is called "the paradox of the skull" so perhaps we'll get some insight in to exactly what that scene at the end means, but in the meantime we can always speculate.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5
So more flashbacks this episode with Aiko and Yoshino. Kana Hanazawa plays her role well in the series tbh. spoiler[Everything indeed happens with a reason.] Hmm, that spoiler[necklace] looked cute also although ordinary, just like how Yoshino describes it.

The Tetsuma guy's tattoo reminds me of Jellal's from Fairy Tail.

I also lol'd @ the pw. spoiler[Boobs that don't shake aren't boobs at all.] Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
Forgot to mention this earlier, but a warning to manga readers: stay away from wikipedia. Those who are following the anime only probably already know to stay away for fear of spoilers, but since I was caught up with the source manga I assumed I'd be safe, and went there to double check the spelling of a character's name. Only to discover that I wasn't caught up, because there are actually a couple of volumes that have yet to be scanlated, and so no, I'm not immune to spoilers.

Grrr....
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
spoiler[Speaking of the flashback, the most interesting part of the flashback was not Hakaze's absurdly insane power (though it was nice to see what carved out the chunk of the mountain we saw in an earlier episode), but how earnest and sincere Samon seemed when trying to get Hakaze on his side. He didn't really seem much like a villain there.]

spoiler[Yes. The show is definitely operating with some nice moral ambiguity. Especially since Hakaze's plan seems to be to just mess shit up however they can for the clan so that the tree goes berserk and she has to save them. It basically means that they end up acting the part of the villain more or less at least in the short term.]

Quote:
spoiler[Oh, and those ending scenes... Certainly raises a lot of questions. Next episode is called "the paradox of the skull" so perhaps we'll get some insight in to exactly what that scene at the end means, but in the meantime we can always speculate.]

Apparently it's Schrodinger's Barrel. Laughing

But seriously, that was a really cool twist. Very interested to see where it goes.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
New episode, and a lot of new info.

spoiler[First, we find that Hakaze is under the protection of the Tree of Genesis to such an extent that even trying to directly kill her is dangerous, and could have bizarre effects if successful. We now have two possible explanations for why Samon stranded Hakaze on that island, either because he needed her alive in case the Tree of Exodus went berserk, or because he had to kill her in an indirect fashion using the laws of nature. These explanations seem to contradict each other, but then again, so does the fact that Hakaze is apparently both dead and alive right now. Maybe Samon somehow found a way to accomplish both goals? *scratches head*]

spoiler[And man, with Hakaze's magical power and that protection from the Tree of Genesis, she would make quite a terrifying opponent. Good thing she's one of the good guys, huh? Oh, wait. Apparently Samon, and even Hakaze's good friend Junichiro, think that she's the one going to destroy the world. Oops. Learning that Samon's intentions are good isn't exactly a shock after the flashback last episode, but it's still interesting. I'll be very curious as to why he thinks the Tree of Genesis is going to destroy the world. (I suppose if you want to be technical, we don't know for sure this is what Samon thinks since we only saw Junichiro think it, but it's what makes the most sense now.)]

spoiler[I wonder how people are going to react to the new revelation regarding Mahiro's sister. Personally, I don't mind it at all. Yes, it does touch near to a fetish that a lot of people are very tired of, but it's clear the show bringing up the whole "Aika isn't blood related and Mahiro had feelings for her" thing isn't just being done as bait for siscon fans. Mahiro's obsession with his sister has always seemed a bit off, and this just adds a new dimension to it. Certainly makes me curious how Mahiro would react now if he learned that Aika and Yoshino were secretly dating. That's always been a bit of a tense situation, and now it's even more tense.]

spoiler[Yoshino was interesting this episode. Also, he's a frigging hypocrite for talking about how Mahiro likes to make unexpected moves, given he orchestrated a whole fake kidnapping to hide the fact that he's dealing with the military behind Mahiro's back. Well, Yoshino's creepiness is part of why I like this show. He made a big error in judgement this episode, though, as he seemed pretty surprised that Mahiro came to rescue him. Nice job getting him to pointlessly waste talismans, Yoshino! Also, Mahiro definitely should be suspicious of Yoshino given the whole weird way things went down, and the fact that he's not asking questions makes it clear he is in denial like Yoshino says. Interesting to see once again that despite his obsession with revenge and "screw the world" attitude, Mahiro does genuinely care about Yoshino a lot.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
spoiler[Interesting to see once again that despite his obsession with revenge and "screw the world" attitude, Mahiro does genuinely care about Yoshino a lot.]
I had a very different take about it. spoiler[I think Mahiro knows that Yoshino and Aika were lovers, and that he "cares" about Yoshino only because Aika did, in much the way he's only going to save the world because he wants to get revenge for Aika's death.]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
spoiler[Interesting to see once again that despite his obsession with revenge and "screw the world" attitude, Mahiro does genuinely care about Yoshino a lot.]
I had a very different take about it. spoiler[I think Mahiro knows that Yoshino and Aika were lovers, and that he "cares" about Yoshino only because Aika did, in much the way he's only going to save the world because he wants to get revenge for Aika's death.]

Hmm, I guess that might be the case, but I don't think so. spoiler[From what I've seen of Mahiro, if he were to find out that Yoshino and Aika were going out together, even if by some chance he didn't disaprove, he certainly wouldn't keep quiet about it. Even if he found out after Aika was already dead, I'm not sure he'd just let it go.

Though I suppose it's possible he suspects it, but is in denial about it.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6
A nice action packed episode from Tempest this week.

spoiler[So apparently, Hakaze might of died on an island next to a barrel.] Well, it's nice to see Evangeline this week again. spoiler[Also, Aika is two-timing? Hmmmm]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

So a theory I was thinking of earlier seems to perhaps have some weight, that being that the sister spoiler[geting killed has some connection to Hakaze. I guess now that she was killed for the purpose of faking Hakaze's death as she for some reason she has similar bones.]

By the way none of that was alluded to specifically in the episode, so at the moment it is just a crazy theory that I feel the pieced together with what has happened.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 27