• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Film Announced for 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manwards

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
It's sad when I'm the only person in the world who dislikes The Melancholy of Haruhi...

Two things, in alphabetical order...

(1) Why post in a Haruhi thread? Four times? spoiler[Orcing]
(B) You really are an egotist.

Last edited by Manwards on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Manwards wrote:
(1) Why post in a Haruhi thread? Three times? spoiler[Orcing]
(B) The only person? In the whole world? You really are an egotist.

First of all, that post was edited. Second, it was two times, but now it's 3, thanks to you. Third, it wasn't offtopic, unlike yours. Feel free to PM me for a direct answer, but if you think that was a trolling post, feel free to report it.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
PhoenixHeart wrote:
BunnyCupCakes wrote:

And about E8, if they can regularly dub maybe 2 or 3 episodes of it & abridged the rest, I would definitely buy the DVDs. There's nothing like enjoying a gag dub by your awesome friendly english voice actors lol

Nice idea actually, that could make it not just bearable, but even enjoyable (if it's truly shortened down, in abridged fashion). As German, I don't know the American anime dub scene well enough, yet I know and respect quite a few of "your" voice-actors. So has this actually been done before on a DVD release?

Yeah!
Look up Duel Masters and Ghost Stories.

In the case for Ghost stories, basically people found the original Japanese dialogue boring, so they were like "oh what the hell, let the dubbers do whatever they can to make this series sell", thus they made a gag dub and made the show hilariously likeable.

But the key is to get permission first.
If KyoAni & Kadokawa have a sense of humor, then it'll be a piece of cake to do Wink

That's one of the ways I can see them doing, in order to license the new episodes and bring it over seas...
Manwards

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
BunnyCupCakes wrote:
In the case for Ghost stories, basically people found the original Japanese dialogue boring, so they were like "oh what the hell, let the dubbers do whatever they can to make this series sell", thus they made a gag dub and made the show hilariously likeable.

That is, to a degree, what KyoAni did. What I most enjoyed about the later episodes were the performances, particularly Mikuru hamming it up with her crying (to the point where she was entirely incomprehensible) and Kyon angrily shouting some of his lines. A hypothetical dub could maintain that, although taking it any further, into outright parody, wouldn't be appropriate, in my opinion. That said, I wouldn't be listening to it, so it wouldn't bother me either way.

Of course, this thread is for the "Disappearance" movie, and not "Endless Eight", so I'll say no more on the topic. As to the former, I eagerly await a theatrical trailer, so I can pick it apart frame-by-frame like I do the Rebuild of Evangelion ones. Here's hoping it's horribly misleading!
12skippy21

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Manwards wrote:
What I most enjoyed about the later episodes were the performances, particularly Mikuru hamming it up with her crying (to the point where she was entirely incomprehensible).

God I hated that. Listening to the Mikuru VA cry like that is like nails to a blackboard for me. The movie is reasonably good news, though movies take an age to come in a decent subbed format. I am still waiting for a decent Evangelion 2.0 to be available. Although better news would be a bloody release date for the 10th novel!
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Murder of Haruhi Suzumiya is already in the works I hear.

Damn I'm clever.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
I still don't get why everyone is trippin over this Endless Eight thing

I'm trippin over this show generally. For some weird and unknown reason I've come to hate this anime.
And no, it's not about the endless whatever. It's all about Haruhi's ways of treating her friends. Screw that, she's just too stupid, I have no patience for people like her.

Have you seen the show? Not being mean but to me I feel like they aren't her friends. spoiler[They fear her for what she could do to the world...and most of the time seem to put up with her behavior only because of that]. But thats just my two cents.

Mario1234567 wrote:
Fail!.............. Needs Zetsubou Sensei Movie.

What does that have to do with anything?

Seems like every-time Haruhi is mentioned the spammers come out in force. First time i've seen so much spam and off-topic stuff in a thread in awhile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Already read the novel like years ago...

And somehow, Kyonko > Suzumiya...

When is Rokudenashi going to come up with the new episode?!
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Have you seen the show? Not being mean but to me I feel like they aren't her friends.

Not mean at all.
Of course I've seen it, otherwise I wouldn't say that.
Well, you mightn't consider that a friendship, but maybe I chose the wrong word. Let's say companions then. Despite being her companions, she treats them like crap.
I disagree with people saying that the season 2 was flamed because of the endless eight arc, the endless eight wasn't all. For me what I hated the most was the way they made Haruhi during this season. Whatever she is, her behaviour definitely pissed me off.
So, unless they give me a pretty good reason for making Haruhi that way my opinion won't change.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
The 2nd book (Sigh) is a big big plot point with the way Haruhi acts and the way it's handled. I mean 5 episodes of the season where based off this part of the novels.
spoiler[She acts like everyone else needs to do what she says, and what not even going to the length of making Mikuru drunk and pushing her in to a pound]

But the whole point of it was to show two things about how the characters deal with it.
spoiler[1. Kyon snapping at everything she did, even if he forgives her later on about it.
2. Itsuki clearly stating things about the changes Haruhi ended up making due to the way she wanted the movie. But never did anything besides tell Kyon. Even if he could have stepped in as a lead actor and told Haruhi to change the movie. ]
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Then they throw Kyon in and think it's all forgiven...
I wasn't a big fan of MOHS to begin with, but I still thought that this season was full of production disasters and lack of consideration as to how the audience would feel.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Both the anime and novel of Sigh have Kyon being there spoiler[forgiving Haruhi, the novel has it dragged out with him really really not wanting to even look at her. But he got talked in to it by Itsuki]

I didn't like season 2 that much but thats just because I hated the source material used. The 2nd book and the two other chapters used where not my fav in the series and over all they where my most hated.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Never underestimate the unblinking loyalty and the sheer stupidity of the die-hard otaku.

Count the number of character song sales.

Quote:
2位 32,881枚 「けいおん!」イメージソング 秋山澪
3位 31,384枚 「けいおん!」イメージソング 平沢唯
3位 27,534枚 「けいおん!」イメージソング 中野梓
5位 25,887枚 「けいおん!」イメージソング 田井中律
6位 25,019枚 「けいおん!」イメージソング 琴吹紬
13 6,320 長門有希(茅原実里)
16 5,071 涼宮ハルヒ(平野綾)
21 4,120 朝比奈みくる(後藤邑子)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
well think about it, there up against the K-on! songs. Nothing can beat those right now
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

So, unless they give me a pretty good reason for making Haruhi that way my opinion won't change.

spoiler[Well She is about to Disappear.] That might make you happy. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7