• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - FUNi People

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
ChocoBar wrote:
Please don't bring the economy into question please, anime acquisition has never been a factor of the economy and never will be nor has sales been effected.

A couple of things...

1) The economy does directly contribute to production issues in Japan. I know that at least one show planned for the Spring season was already well into production, but got pulled because the sponsor couldn't afford to support the show.

2) While previous recessions really haven't affected anime, or entertainment in general, this one is very very different. While DVD was already in decline, the economy has triggered a trend away from buying/collecting "stuff" (there was just an article about this in the NY Times). What might have been a slight-to-moderate decline in DVD sales before has, due to the recession has turned into a cratering. It's had a profound effect on Hollywood (despite record theatrical box office), caused the near-complete collapse of the indie and foreign markets, and it's absolutely affected anime.

3) Anime purchases come out of people's disposable income. When there's less (or none) of that, there's less anime being bought. Common sense stuff, that.

Of course, didn't Funimation swear that the recession hadn't affected them at all? LOL Of course, this was a few months after Navarre announced they had laid off employees, including some at Funimation, but still...

This recession is quite different from those in the past. In fact, by some measurements, it was actually a depression. So of course media sales are going to be affected. CD and DVD's were already in the decline, and this just sped that up. Retailers like Best Buy are already looking forward and making decisions as to what to do with these spaces once physical media completely fades away. Bluray also hasn't been growing fast enough to make up the slack, and in some markets like anime and indie films, it's been a complete flop.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
ChocoBar wrote:

Anime/manga sales has never effected the economy in anyway before it collapsed and never will, if you truly believe that people are willing to shell out any huge amount of money for a Dragonball Z boxset you are truly deluded (considering the same titles has been listed in the same ranking for years). Really, people who use the economy as an excuse to why their favorite title isn't selling are really ridiculous

You're changing your argument entirely. You said "nor has sales been effected". Now you're claiming anime sales don't have much of an effect on the economy, which is obvious, and nobody stated as much. If that was what you meant, you managed to state the opposite.

What? That's what I stated, and Justin's post corrected it. Blaming the economic toll for YOUR favorite anime not selling is ridiculous
PBsallad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I love baseball anime, but Big Windup! is just simply not my thing. I stopped watching after 4 episodes.

Had they licensed Touch, Major, or Cross Game I'd buy the singles if needed.

The sports/baseball niche audience is small enough, so I'm not sure why they went after a female-targetted baseball anime. There can't be that many in that audience.

Still though, even if it were one of the three mentioned above, it'd flop. If Hajime no Ippo flops here than anything sports will most likely never sell much here.

I'm a male and I'm enjoying Big Windup! The gay overtones do make the show a bit awkward, but there isn't enough to make me stop watching it. Just finished episode 12 and there was quite a bit in there. Male cheering squad, Hamada asking to shag (shagging) some balls (not being familiar with baseball terminology I found this hilarious), Momoe saying they have plenty of balls. A bit awkward but I found it funny. And I'll continue watching more episodes.

The whole economy thing... I've been working less and less so there isn't much money coming in. I have to spend my entertainment money wisely. That's why I want to wait for a complete season set, not buy the half season sets.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Another great podcast, guys. Keep 'em coming. Here's to hoping Gen makes an appearance one day.

I'm very, very happy Spice & Wolf did better than expected, because this guarantees the second season. Bring it, FUNi. I'll be waiting with open wallet and thank you for bringing it to us.

However, I was a little perplexed at the "don't wait, buy now" topic. How can we fans be supportive when there's so much we want to get, but the price points don't easily allow it?

I fully understand FUNimation needs revenue to get more titles, but quite a few consumers simply can't get everything they want. I know some wise spending is called for, but therein lies the double-edged sword.

If we can't afford both parts, this automatically forces us to wait. Given the parts are often released in weeks of each other, why not just release the entire collection around $60-$70?

In regard to Spice & Wolf, TRSI had it on special outside of its normal $60 asking price (now offered at $45), which was another factor in my purchase.

I'd love to help FUNimation with its latest releases, but it's just difficult to do.

The remark about the audience for Strike Witches had me curious, so off to the Encyclopedia I went. Themes included ecchi, fanservice, lolicon, mecha musume(?), military, and witches.

I'm there. I love witches.
Though, I get the feeling this is one of those series that's going to get attacked to death once ANN reviews it. I'll be sure to avoid those discussions.

Looks like 2010's going to be awesome for many titles thrown to us by FUNimation. Looking forward to it and hoping I can pick some up here and there.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:
ChocoBar wrote:

Anime/manga sales has never effected the economy in anyway before it collapsed and never will, if you truly believe that people are willing to shell out any huge amount of money for a Dragonball Z boxset you are truly deluded (considering the same titles has been listed in the same ranking for years). Really, people who use the economy as an excuse to why their favorite title isn't selling are really ridiculous

You're changing your argument entirely. You said "nor has sales been effected". Now you're claiming anime sales don't have much of an effect on the economy, which is obvious, and nobody stated as much. If that was what you meant, you managed to state the opposite.

What? That's what I stated, and Justin's post corrected it. Blaming the economic toll for YOUR favorite anime not selling is ridiculous

Oh boy. You don't seem to realize what you're said at all. Whether you meant to do so or not, the first time you stated that the economy has no effect on anime sales. This is absolutely wrong and you've been corrected by several people. Then you stated that anime sales have no effect on the economy (which is the converse of what you said originally). This is pretty much true and completely obvious, but no one argued that it wasn't true in the first place, so it's a mystery as to who you're trying to inform with that tidbit. Basically, no one here is psychic and if you write the opposite of what you mean, expect to cause confusion.

As for blaming the economy for a particular title not selling, I never made that argument in the first place. I was only addressing your statement about the economy not affecting anime sales (and which was apparently the opposite of what you meant to say).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
Justin: Night Shift Nurses was fun? LOL

Oh, the fun of dubbing Hentai...

JohnnySake wrote:
Thanks for the question about Kiddy Grade blu-ray. I could see Funi not be allowed to release one considering there is one for sale over in Japan for *gobs* of money. Reverse importation fears would quickly put the kibosh on that happening, which is unfortunate.

(That was my question) I have it, which is just as well since it is went out of stuck at Amazon really quickly, although it looks like CDJapan have got some copies back in. Problem with it is, there are no English subtitles, only the dub and while it was initially advertised as having English 5.1 LPCM, it actually only has stereo.

hikaru004 wrote:
They didn't explain why they couldn't announce it say 4 months before release instead of announcing it 1 year before release.

"How dare they send out a CnD for this! They haven't announced a licsnse!"
"Hey, does that mean they licensed it? Does it? Does it?"
Damned if you do...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I thought their answer to the subtitle only release question left them a lot of wiggle room.

There is money to be made there, and many titles that would be profitable sub only. If they truly wanted a monopoly of the US anime market, they could have it by dubbing the profitable stuff, and still making something off subs. "Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women."

I am mainly concerned in that if their reluctance to move in that direction is preventing me from owning additional seasons of Anime that proved unprofitable dubbed. Perhaps they already have the rights to distribute or the option to do so, but since it would lose money, will never be put out because, they only produce hybrids.

If I have to hope for a license rescue FROM Funimation to legally see more Kodocha, Hell Girl, Shana, Familiar of Zero, and especially Higurashi, I might very well tend to hold that against them.
Megabyte117

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Arizona can be pretty cold around this time of the year. Smile

As for the Funimation ads, I saw one for Le Chevalier D'Eon on Facebook. It looked intriguing enough, so I researched it, and purchased the entire series. Excellent show.

I'm not a fan of Big Windup, but Cross Game was my favorite show of the 2009 year. If you guys were to license it, I'd also be more than willing to purchase the singles. Personally, I feel [b]Cross Game[/i] is more appealing to a bigger audience. Just my opinion though.

Another great show. Perfect for listening to during the boring classes. Laughing
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
ChocoBar wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:
ChocoBar wrote:

Oh boy. You don't seem to realize what you're said at all. Whether you meant to do so or not, the first time you stated that the economy has no effect on anime sales. This is absolutely wrong and you've been corrected by several people. Then you stated that anime sales have no effect on the economy (which is the converse of what you said originally). This is pretty much true and completely obvious, but no one argued that it wasn't true in the first place, so it's a mystery as to who you're trying to inform with that tidbit. Basically, no one here is psychic and if you write the opposite of what you mean, expect to cause confusion.

Funi stated that the regression didn't effect them at all genius or weren't you reading at all, the economy collapse hardly pays a toll in entertainment and anime is of the lesser degree it tolls on
hissatsu01 wrote:

As for blaming the economy for a particular title not selling, I never made that argument in the first place. I was only addressing your statement about the economy not affecting anime sales (and which was apparently the opposite of what you meant to say).

I was never conversing with you in the first place, guess you were just butthurt, or you have no idea what your arguing about
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Megabyte117 wrote:
I'm not a fan of Big Windup, but Cross Game was my favorite show of the 2009 year. If you guys were to license it, I'd also be more than willing to purchase the singles. Personally, I feel Cross Game is more appealing to a bigger audience. Just my opinion though.

Isn't Cross Game more of a love story that uses baseball to help advance the story and act as metaphors for relationships? If anything, unfortunately, Cross Game might be even worse of a potential seller over here, as love stories haven't been really good sellers over here either... Unless it's full of fanservice or a harem show.

That's one reason why i always push for Ring ni Kakero 1 to be licensed: Even though it's a sports anime, boxing in this case, its style is more akin to shows like Dragon Ball Z Bleach, Saint Seiya, etc.... Which is not surprising at all, since the original Ring ni Kakero manga was the first mega-hit that Shonen Jump ever had, and hence was the originator of the Jump-style shonen fight anime and manga. And we all know how action animes are well-liked over here. The fact that it's my most wanted anime to be licensed is just a personal aspect.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Knowing FUNimation might be considering some sub-only releases for "small titles" gives me a faint ray of hope that they'll finish what Geneon started by licensing the Strawberry Marshmallow OVA's. Even though Geneon did dub the Strawberry Marshmallow TV series, I somehow suspect the addition of the dub didn't result in enough additional sales to cover the cost of dubbing it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clodus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Megabyte117 wrote:
I'm not a fan of Big Windup, but Cross Game was my favorite show of the 2009 year. If you guys were to license it, I'd also be more than willing to purchase the singles. Personally, I feel Cross Game is more appealing to a bigger audience. Just my opinion though.
I agree. I wish it would have been Cross Game that was the experimental baseball genre to get licensed instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:

Funi stated that the regression didn't effect them at all genius or weren't you reading at all, the economy collapse hardly pays a toll in entertainment and anime is of the lesser degree it tolls on

Funi's a Texas company. Everything's bigger/grander/whatever in Texas, isn't it? There's also something called bravada. Even if you are facing problems, it's no one's business on the outside. Tough talk.

What do you mean the economy doesn't take a toll? I live in SoCal-one of the 10 largest cities in the entire nation & I cannot tell you how many times I decided to see a movie & it's gone from the local theaters in less than a month. (I prefer to avoid the first week or so). The big movies are doing great, but the smaller movies aren't. I
was shocked AstroBoy was packed the day I went to see it because it had vanished from most of the chains. Hollywood had a good year because people traded vacations out-of-town for seeing a movie. That doesn't mean dvd sales are doing all that well. I keep reading dvd sales keep dropping.
But go ahead & believe what you want. My husband liked to sell at Swap Neets & the best sales tended to be around the 1st & the 15th-the military paydays. One might make money on the other weeks, but cash was always more loose around payday.

I have more interest in Major because there are more VA's in it I care about & I like the art style better. My potential to buy Big Windup would be related to my daughter expressed interest in it in the past. However, she's been swallowed whole by WoW since.
hack_benjamin22

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
Big Windup! news is so sad considering I just found out about the series.

I started watching it on their youtube channel and liked it so much that I went and bought it. I don't even like baseball, but the show is just so endearing.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:13 am Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
I'm a male and I'm enjoying Big Windup! The gay overtones do make the show a bit awkward, but there isn't enough to make me stop watching it. Just finished episode 12 and there was quite a bit in there. Male cheering squad, Hamada asking to shag (shagging) some balls (not being familiar with baseball terminology I found this hilarious), Momoe saying they have plenty of balls. A bit awkward but I found it funny. And I'll continue watching more episodes.
I'm a straight guy (at least as straight as Kyon) and really never felt that there was anything in this series in terms of Yaoi/Shonen-ai/whatever to be bothered or elated over on that front. More like male-bonding than male-snuggling is this series.

Underlined bit: The male cheer squad is something they have in Japan. They were really hasitilly put together by Mihashi's childhood friend too. They even brought up adding girls to the team later. (Don't know if that would happen in season 2 or not.)

PetrifiedJello wrote:
The remark about the audience for Strike Witches had me curious, so off to the Encyclopedia I went. Themes included ecchi, fanservice, lolicon, mecha musume(?), military, and witches.

I'm there. I love witches.
Though, I get the feeling this is one of those series that's going to get attacked to death once ANN reviews it. I'll be sure to avoid those discussions.
I always knew I liked you. Puts arm around 'net shoulders. If you've got high downloading bandwidth, you might want to watch a few episodes on Funimation's Video Portal.

Yes, if ANN reviews it, spoiler[you can be pretty much be guaranteed a seriously negative review with ample "it's fans are all perverted pedo freaks" talk in it. Seriously, I'd be flat out stunned to see a review of it here that didn't in someway attack fans as being creepy, warped or pathetic. You see these same kind of comments pretty much every time but the level of it depends on the reviewer.] (Spoiler guarded for anyone who just wants to skip over a statement that concerns a theortical review that doesn't exist yet.)

The lolicon debates around here aren't legendary for nothing. Shocked

Also, mecha musume is more or less personifications of military hardware. (You put a ? after it so I'm explaining it. I'm a useful mammal.) The girls of the 501st wear Striker Units that are effectively magitech versions of aircraft engines/magic amplifiers, making them living fighter planes.

hack_benjamin22 wrote:
I started watching it on their youtube channel and liked it so much that I went and bought it. I don't even like baseball, but the show is just so endearing.
Tell others what you just posted here. Spread the word of the show's quality and hope for really good collection sales. That's about the only strategy, short of pooling money to license season 2 ourselves, that could help.

I've always felt that the key to saving the anime market, particularly when it comes to dubbing, is expanding the consumer fanbase. Legal streaming is a way to re-monetize fans who previously used illegal, non-profit-to-anyone-who-makes-anime means of watching but the real trick is getting non-anime fans to become anime fans. That takes series with mainstream appeal, creative marketing and fans that can try to open other's minds a little. (Even other fans.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13