• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Monsters in the Attic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
On a side note Bamboo dropped SAO at the same point as I did, but for different reasons. This strengthens my believe that that series was rotten from the core. I find it hard to believe people are still watching it. I know for a fact that all of my friends dropped it ages ago.

1. Despite all the invective directed at SAO, it is far from being universally-panned. It has a Bayesian estimate of 8.2 (of 10) on our site, an average rating of 4.76 (of 5) on Crunchyroll, and a 9.1 (of 10) on Imdb. Granted, these ratings all have to be taken with a grain of salt (as do any populist ratings), but it shows that the overwhelming majority who are bothering to rate the show are rating it fairly strongly, which means that a lot of people are enjoying it.
2. The series is still immensely popular, to the point that it's easily this year's hottest new series and probably the biggest phenomenon in fandom since Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I haven't been able to find any records on TV ratings, but DVD/BR preorder figures are sky-high as series go and its light novels are utterly dominating the LN sales charts for the year, it has massively more ratings on Crunchyroll than any other title with a similar running time.
3. Even many people who have been highly critical of the series have still found it enjoyable enough to keep watching.

While it's definitely not amongst the year's best series on a qualitative scale, clearly it's doing enough right to appeal to the masses. I still find it quite entertaining even while acknowledging its flaws.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I've even been seeing Kirito avatars on music and sports websites that have nothing to do with anime. Its really become a big hit even among mainstream people... seems like the perfect thing to get onto Toonami one of these days.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
Psycho-Pass is also my favorite this season, I'm happy its past the "trying too hard to be cool" and delving deeper into the cracks in the system.

It's not streaming on CR, so I have yet to try that series (and Robotics;Notes, K, and a few others). I don't know if I will get around to it, or not.

Psycho-Pass and Robotics;Notes are both simulcasting on Funimation's site for free.

I don't know, for some reason I just can't hate SAO. I know I should, but I feel like I have to keep watching it to see what happens next.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
1. Despite all the invective directed at SAO, it is far from being universally-panned. It has a Bayesian estimate of 8.2 (of 10) on our site, an average rating of 4.76 (of 5) on Crunchyroll, and a 9.1 (of 10) on Imdb. Granted, these ratings all have to be taken with a grain of salt (as do any populist ratings), but it shows that the overwhelming majority who are bothering to rate the show are rating it fairly strongly, which means that a lot of people are enjoying it.

Between this and the "wasted potential" angle it isn't really hard to imagine why there's such a backlash to the show here and elsewhere on the net.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Key wrote:

Between this and the "wasted potential" angle it isn't really hard to imagine why there's such a backlash to the show here and elsewhere on the net.

It reminds me a lot of Code Geass when it was airing, really. It was a show that rated insanely high everywhere and everyone was watching it, but the vocal minority always complained about how "Bad" it was and made it sound like a lot of people weren't enjoying it.
Youshou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
A friend and I were discussing Psycho-Pass and Akane's "blank slate" characterization, and I remarked at that time that I found the design decision for her sleepy-eyed look interesting. Then we realized that there was a reason for that appearance, and that there are hints all over for that -- spoiler[her personality has been obliterated by medication all in the name of stress therapy. That's the look of someone in a drug-haze rather than that of lethargy.] That is, in my opinion, the reason for both her design and her (lack of) personality.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
SAO is no Guilty Crown. There's a show that by all rights is bad. A total mess of writing, development, characterization, but was also immensely addicting and endearing. Those last two can't be applied to SAO.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

All this proves nothing. If anything, it proves that many anime fans have bad taste and are easily wowed by style over substance, something that's been known for quite some time.

SAO is a mediocrely written show. It is not BADLY written, but it isn't written well either.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
SAO is no Guilty Crown. There's a show that by all rights is bad. A total mess of writing, development, characterization, but was also immensely addicting and endearing. Those last two can't be applied to SAO.

Yeah, I finished Guilty Crown, but dropped SAO. GC had an element of unpredictability due to that mess and it was fun to watch. SAO on the other hand was bending itself over to accomodate for typical shonen tropes, so when the premise wore out its welcome, that was it for me.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Usually I find 'The Stream' pretty close in terms of what I'm watching. But this season is quite funny since I'm only watching three shows at the moment (GuP, Chuunibyou, and LB!) which are all not covered.

Girls und Panzer continues being show of the season for me. Loving all the tank battles and all the different teams that the Ooarai girls go up against. I swear that Kay/Kei is the first American girl I've seen in anime that isn't loud and brash. The most recent episode with the Soviet battle was adorable with the team singing Katyusha (in its original Russian no less) and the snow-covered terrain made the first part of the skirmish even more interesting to me. It saddens me that only 4 episodes remain, but I'm sure the creators will either give it a good conclusion or will set things up for a possible second season.

Chuunibyou is a strong second-place with the luscious art and direction from Kyoto Animation. They really should be lauded in what they have done in transforming the original light novel into something far greater for the TV series. The characters are all enjoyable and it's nice to see it slowly starting to dip its feet in romance in the past few episodes. The delusional fights are always amusing as well. All in all, I can't wait for tomorrow's episode.

Little Busters! is a err... mediocre adaptation with some really lazy art and animation. Luckily it has a strong source and since I am familiar with the source it's fun for me to see the characters and scenarios I know quite well in animated form.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Galap wrote:
Don't really get why people are saying From the New World is paced badly. I mean, there are some parts where it runs the risk of being a little slow, but in those it does a lot of worldbuilding and character development and it implies things about the macro plot.

In this show, what's most important is what isn't said or shown directly, so even if on face the show might appear to not be going anywhere, if you look closer there's quite a bit to be found.

Yeah, me too. I do not understand why more people do not appreciate From the New World as much. I also do not think it has pacing and plot problems; the relevant questions have been answered if you have been paying attention.

I guess this means you and the few of us who enjoy From the New World will have to wait for the subbed DVD's. I doubt Sentai will dub and offer such an unpopular series on BD. Too bad.

Yeah after the episode 8 fiasco and just the general reaction the best we can hope for is that it gets released on disk in some form.

Too bad because I knew from episode 2 that I must own this on disk.

Since Sentai has the license, I am positive that they will at least released it on DVD. BD would have been better, but I am cool as long as it is released on home video.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Yeah, I finished Guilty Crown, but dropped SAO. GC had an element of unpredictability due to that mess and it was fun to watch. SAO on the other hand was bending itself over to accomodate for typical shonen tropes, so when the premise wore out its welcome, that was it for me.

SAO is no where near as bad as guilty crown, K is as bad as guilty crown but SAO it's nowhere near that bad (and I dropped all three of those shows. though I dropped K and guilty crown after the second episodes).

Little busters is really a sub pair adaptation but that is what I would expect from J.C. staff and a director with no strong work to their name. what where they thinking when they decided the studio, director, and budget for the show?
that is not to say the show is unwatchable far from it, but it's still a poor adaptation.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Despite all the invective directed at SAO, it is far from being universally-panned. It has a Bayesian estimate of 8.2 (of 10) on our site, an average rating of 4.76 (of 5) on Crunchyroll, and a 9.1 (of 10) on Imdb. Granted, these ratings all have to be taken with a grain of salt (as do any populist ratings), but it shows that the overwhelming majority who are bothering to rate the show are rating it fairly strongly, which means that a lot of people are enjoying it.

This is curious Key. A while back I noted that some people have rated Sword Art Online as a Masterpiece at ANN, but you gave almost no validity to those rating. Now ratings are relevant to show how popular SAO is?

By the way, if you are interested, I will most likely rate Sword Art Online as either So-so or Decent.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
1. Despite all the invective directed at SAO, it is far from being universally-panned. It has a Bayesian estimate of 8.2 (of 10) on our site, an average rating of 4.76 (of 5) on Crunchyroll, and a 9.1 (of 10) on Imdb.

I don't recall if I've ever rated a show here on ANN, but I generally give the SAO episodes a 1- or 2-star rating on CR. It just doesn't occur to me to rate things on ANN. ^^;

v1cious wrote:
Ingraman wrote:

It's not streaming on CR, so I have yet to try that series (and Robotics;Notes, K, and a few others). I don't know if I will get around to it, or not.

Psycho-Pass and Robotics;Notes are both simulcasting on Funimation's site for free.

I dislike Funimation's website, and Hulu, enough that I don't bother with what they stream. Because I tend to avoid spoilers, forum discussions and pretty much all information about shows that I haven't seen, my curiosity in the shows is also low enough that I haven't turned to fansubs, either. So, I may never get around to seeing them. If I don't see them, I definitely don't buy them (from Funimation and ADV, anyway; I did pretty much blind-buy Aniplex's Bakemonogatari). Oh well, it's not a big loss. I can't watch everything, so I miss good shows now and then.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I've never said that I trust our ratings or the ratings of any other sites which have a fan rating system (at least when it comes to qualitatively rating titles), as too many people just automatically give a top rating to something that they like and don't bother to differentiate whether or not it's actually good; that's why I generally only heed critics on such matters. Fan rating systems are generally good gauges of how popular a title is and how respected it is for its entertainment value, though, and that's my main point with my previous post.

And that's why Chagen46 is entirely missing the point of my last post. I thought I had made it quite clear that I wasn't using that data as proof that the series was a great series; it's only intended as a counter to the person who wondered how anyone could possibly still be watching the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9