• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Offers Replacements for DVD Video Issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
We both know Teriyaki that even if Sentai had perfect subtitles you would not purchase a sub-only set.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
At the risk of sounding rude, why does it really matter though? I mean to be rude like I said in the above sentence, but this caught my attention.

I have no idea what
you're talking about
but TarsTarkas's habit
of inserting new lines
in the middle of
sentences is a little
distracting.

I don't think he realises that the text box wraps automatically when you hit the right border.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Please, you don't have to press return when you reach the right-hand edge of the text box - just keep typing, the text wraps.

Anyway, other companies (coughsentaicough) should be taking note of what NIS is doing. Actually fixing the problem and not sweeping it under the table an or saying no problem ever existed.

Sentai hasn't had any issues that made their DVDs almost unwatchable on some setups. A typo or two, or even a few per disc just doesn't compare to this. The two situations are completely different. Not to mention Sentai went back and dubbed the worst offenders and revised their subs.

Besides, people could say the same thing about Funimation and the lossy Blurays they've put out, or the DVDs with bad video quality.

You need to keep things in perspective.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
Well, to be honest I didn't plan to really watch the discs anyway. I bought it to support the show and hoped for a later dub of the show (situations like this might make it less desirable on their part to do a dub). I was quite happy with my old fansub release in terms of quality so I didn't intend to re-rip it from the dvds for my own viewing.
NiceAndBlue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty disappointing. Especially for a first release. This kind of dvd authoring issue should not be happening in 2010. At least NIS stepped up quickly and is trying to correct the problem. The one problem I see with a disc replacement program is, what about the guy who sees the toradora! boxset on the TRSI mainpage and decides to give it a shot. Not everyone reads ANN or visits anime forums, or even goes to the NIS website. I know that these releases are more niche titles that are marketed towards the collector/hardcore fan, but surely there will be quite a few people who will buy it on a whim. Hopefully NIS sends replacement discs to TRSI and other vendors that they are selling through to package with future orders of the series. Or at least put a note in the order with the site address for the replacement. Of course this can't be good for TRSI either because its like saying "Hey, the box set you are about to order is faulty, but please go ahead and order this broken boxset because some time in the future you can send in for replacements for your faulty discs"

After seeing this I won't be preordering the second toradora boxset. I'll probably end up buying it but not until the quality has been verified. Hopefully NIS can recover from this.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
Has anyone actually requested for replacement DVDs yet? The UPC code they ask for is just the bar code on the box correct? And do you receive any sort of email or confirmation besides that confirmation number they give you?

Thanks.
silencer226

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
Has anyone actually requested for replacement DVDs yet? The UPC code they ask for is just the bar code on the box correct? And do you receive any sort of email or confirmation besides that confirmation number they give you?

Thanks.

I just gave them the bar code that was on my box, I think it'll give them the same result (I hope...). All I got was a confirmation number that's is somewhere on my pc... I should probably write that down.
NiceAndBlue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:

Thanks.

The UPC (universal product code) IS the barcode. just make sure you list the entire code, not just the 10 digits in the middle. I highly doubt they are using an automated system for checking anyway so people will probably be fine even if they did happen to list upc incorrectly.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I just received my premium box today and watched the first episode, and I will admit it's pretty abysmal ... my eye doesn't catch the ghosting as much as the screen shots posted online show, but it definitely seems fuzzy in MANY places throughout the episode. I think if I hadn't known about the problem in advance I would still have noticed - I just may have thought something was wrong w/ the TV / my eyes! Every anime I own that I watch on the PS3 on the HD tv always look SO much better and crisper, but this looked pretty awful.

I put in for my replacement - I'm glad they are doing this, because it's an otherwise really neat release (w/ the big box and the episode guide book).

I say props to NIS for their reaction.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
Update: Just got my replacement DVD's in the mail! Haven't watched them yet, though! It was addressed to Mr. Jen *insertlastnamehere* ... lol Very Happy
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah, people are starting to get their replacement discs. I got mine on Friday, but haven't had a chance to watch them yet. Got my fingers crossed though, and really appreciate them sending them. Have set 2 on preorder!
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
^^ I though NISA was supposed to e-mail people when their replacement DVD's were being sent to them? I should hopefully getting mine soon since people have been getting them already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get an email; it was a surprise when it showed up. I was just wondering, too, what the status was on replacements.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Well if mine come in the mail today I will be surprised, but I would probably more likely to see them later this week since I live on the East Coast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I got my replacement disc in the mail today, and immedately popped one into my portable player (aka, the one that showed the ghosting the worst.) I can't see any with it anymore, so the problem is fixed (or at least signifigantly improved on.) Not really sure what I'm going to do with the old discs just yet...

Quick question, though- for the other who've gotten theirs, you did get just the discs and a lil' note saying "here's you new discs! Sorry 'bout that!", correct? I ask becuase my envelope was open when it arrived, so I want to be sure there was no extra goodie or such that got taken somewhere along the line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6