• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Holiday Special II Part Two

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mckg1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
The worst anime i have seen is:
Green Green. Im surprised that this title did not get mentioned, its pretty freaking bad, lol.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
Hey, wait. They called homosexuality the 'last forbidden love', but when talking about Kiss x Sis, they sure semed uncomfertable with incest. Wouldn't that be another forbidden love thats still held with less reguard than homosexuality?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Hey, wait. They called homosexuality the 'last forbidden love', but when talking about Kiss x Sis, they sure semed uncomfertable with incest. Wouldn't that be another forbidden love thats still held with less reguard than homosexuality?

No it isn't, and as a gay man I really do not feel comfortable with the idea of my orientation being compared to incest in any way, shape or form, especially in regards to Kiss X Sis, where that so called "love" is just portrayed as comedy-fetish fuel
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Otaku_X wrote:

No it isn't, and as a gay man I really do not feel comfortable with the idea of my orientation being compared to incest in any way, shape or form, especially in regards to Kiss X Sis, where that so called "love" is just portrayed as comedy-fetish fuel

I'm not talking about portrayal, I just mean if two people who fall in love happen to be related in the real world, it's treated just as bad as homosexual and interracial relationships were in the past, and, sadly enough, homosexual relationships all too often still are.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
I'm not talking about portrayal, I just mean if two people who fall in love happen to be related in the real world, it's treated just as bad as homosexual and interracial relationships were in the past, and, sadly enough, homosexual relationships all too often still are.

Yes, but whereas Brokeback Mountain handled the relationship with gravity and care, KissXSis handles it with pandering and crass.

EDIT: Whoops. I didn't read your post carefully enough; I still thought you were talking about portrayal. Never mind then.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see 1 of my fav movies loved by someone else: Amelie. And if you watch enough French flicks you will recognize almost all of the cast members. Born in a different era than most of this audience so here is my current list of fav movies:

Metropolis (1927, 1987restore, 2010 restore): most intriguing film, for the eras, I have ever had the privilege to watch.

Seven Samurai (1954): everyone knows this 1, I don't have to add a thing. And I could add several other Akira Kurosawa movies but chose not too.

Stagecoach (1939): Criterion critic David Cairns gives better summation than I could ever hope to...my fav John Ford western.

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955): what it's like to face fear, yours, when you're old.

East of Eden (1955): liked the flick better than the novel. SP GS-6 too late built a steamer for the era portrayed in movie however. Stellar cast, melodrama.

Rebel without a Cause (1955): first saw this on TV in 1959 when I was 11. Show, though melodramatic at times, left a profound influence on me.

Grapes of Wrath (1940): half my relatives lost their farms in MO and south TX account of the Great Depression. I'm such a fanboy re early Henry Fonda flix. Liked the movie better than the book, not as depressing and those early snaps taken of the main trails to CA are priceless;

The Last Picture Show (1971): Criterion sums it well. Read their blog.

On the Waterfront (1954): standing in the face of adversity for what you believe in...back when damn gov't was looked upon as the good guy (LOL).

49th Parallel (1942): Canadian film about stranded German submariners in the great Canadian expanse coming to terms with their values and belief systems.

This list changes periodically as I go through phases. There are several foreign flicks that outperform many of the above but I misplaced that list for the time being.....account senility I guess.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
When I was listening to you guys go over your top ten movie lists I was reminded a lot of Ebert and Siskel when they would talk about films.

Justin being like Roger Ebert in that he saw things from a very emotional standpoint.

While Zac being more like Gene Siskel in that he was very precise and a nitpicker.

You guys made me feel very nostalgic. Thank you
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Player No. 3 wrote:

Yes, but whereas Brokeback Mountain handled the relationship with gravity and care, KissXSis handles it with pandering and crass.

How about Koi Kaze?
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Player No. 3 wrote:

How about Koi Kaze?

I've yet to see it, but I heard it does take the subject matter seriously due to its good writing. It's on my (long) "to see" list.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
man, I still haven't seen Pom Poko, and I want to since its a ghibli film and all that.
but after listening to these lists and finding my tastes (and distastes) more in-line with Zac's I'm kindof afraid of checking it out...

but yeah, interesting lists of bad anime Anime hyper I'll make sure to never pick those up if i see them (cept Arcade Gamer Fubuki, that I only want because Mine Yoshizaki made it. I'm sorry Justin)

anyway least favorite anime for me~
1) Mermaid Melody Pitchi Pitchi Pitch (just...urg.... the fact that this franchise has fans that aren't little japanese girls that have nothing on TV to watch. just...baffles me)
2) Best Student Council
3) Tenchi Muyo OAV 3 (I actually forgot about how much I hate this till I read Penguintruth's post, then the anger came back)
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I was in FYE today to get Community season 1 for a friend's Xmas present, and checked their anime shelf quick to see if they had Black Lagoon (that would have gone to another friend I'd introduced to the show), and I noticed they had a copy of Saber Marionette J. And I thought, "Really?"

Also, I stopped watching Rushmore about halfway through because the kid was such an annoying brat.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
My least favorite anime would have to be Catnapped!. There was an interesting idea, but the execution was horrible. By the time I finished it, I thought I had been watching someone's drug trip. Razz

Personally, I think Ghibli's The Cat Returns, which has a similar premise, had a much better execution.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
penguin: Babylon has its moments, but Nostradamus is just there.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:35 am Reply with quote
The Koi Kaze manga is a shade more explicit than the anime. I read the manga first and then watched the anime. The manga offers the reader a sensitive portrayal of the dilemma imposed and leaves little doubt where the feelings that are developed over time lead to between 27yr old Koshiro and 15yr old Nanoka whereas the anime deftly skates around whether the social taboo of this story actually occurred.
Theron Martin wrote an excellent review for ANN of the anime back in 2005. There is little I can add that he hasn't already eloquently posted. In spite of the ridicule some viewers may state about Koi Kaze I was glad I took the time to view and appreciate the sensitivity this anime devoted to such an edgy topic.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
Ikki Tousen gets my vote for worst anime I've seen, awful animation, retarded story, and a crap dub to boot. Just fails on every level, I mean it's just a fan service show for panty shots and they can't even pull that off, just incompetent in all respects. Queens Blade is making a run for worst story/premise, at least the animation is not terrible compared to Ikki Tousen.

Love Hina, Negima, and Ken Akimatsu's work in general are up there on my worst list as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7