• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You: Blood and Ecchi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunderbird-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is just great! I preordered the K-on! and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time BDs from Right Stufs Bandai sale and now I'm going to be paranoid that they're not going to work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I think Justin's comments about "jumping into the middle of things" makes a lot of sense for me, since that's what I love about Science Fiction (literature). I remember reading Samuel R. Delaney's "Stars in my Pocket Like Grains of Sand" as a teenager. For the first few pages, I had literally no idea what the hell anything meant. But then I kept reading, and found it fascinating. It's the sort of writing that's dense, and builds its own world.

And Zac should stay far away from the Golden Age trilogy, whose first page begins with lines like "Phaethon had been imagining the evening, perhaps, would be in miniature, for Rhadamanthus House, what the High Transcendence in December would be for all mankind. But he was disappointed. The review of one drab and uninspired extrapolation after another had drained his patience. Here was a future where all men were recorded as brain-information in a diamond logic crystal occupying the core of earth; there was another where all humanity existed in the threads of a plantlike array of sails and panels forming a Dyson Sphere around the sun..."
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

And Zac should stay far away from the Golden Age trilogy, whose first page begins with lines like "Phaethon had been imagining the evening, perhaps, would be in miniature, for Rhadamanthus House, what the High Transcendence in December would be for all mankind. But he was disappointed. The review of one drab and uninspired extrapolation after another had drained his patience. Here was a future where all men were recorded as brain-information in a diamond logic crystal occupying the core of earth; there was another where all humanity existed in the threads of a plantlike array of sails and panels forming a Dyson Sphere around the sun..."

But even in this there are a few key seeds of exposition and some really interesting concepts, enough to make me curious to read more.

I suppose I should've clarified further - drop me into a confusing situation all you want, but that confusion needs to be compelling and interesting. If it's confusing AND just an obvious uninspired mishmash of extremely familiar visual cues, character types and sci-fi nonsense lifted from a dozen well-trod places, I'm out.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

But even in this there are a few key seeds of exposition and some really interesting concepts, enough to make me curious to read more.

I suppose I should've clarified further - drop me into a confusing situation all you want, but that confusion needs to be compelling and interesting. If it's confusing AND just an obvious uninspired mishmash of extremely familiar visual cues, character types and sci-fi nonsense lifted from a dozen well-trod places, I'm out.

somehow people seem to think that you just hate in medias res.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

I guess one issue is that, in this case, compelling and interesting work better as verbs than adjectives; not "This is interesting/compelling", but "This interests/compels me." They're rather subjective.

For sure I watch shows just because character designs/archetypes shown off at the beginning interest me. Like Laura Bodewig from Infinite Stratos (maybe that's a bad example since I've ended up finding the show rather meh).
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

How the hell you gonna tell the quality of a blu-ray from a Youtube trailer?

Welcome to the internet. Where people are stupid.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
I still have the original Record of Lodoss War on VHS cassette so it's definitely a high nostalgia buy if/when Media Blasters puts it out, especially on Blu-ray which I'm not holding my breath for though I would be super pumped if actualized.

Here's an old title I'd like to see rescued and given a quality re-release even though I'm pretty sure I would be the only one excited or actually pay money for it....Green Legend Ran. Just me? Ok, yeah just me... Embarassed
nintendonut100

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
and since everyone's giving their opinions on echi I haven't seen any so I can't judge but fanservice in a normal show normaly gets on my nerves but hey I also hate large amounts of violence for the most part because it often seems to be used as a cop out sortta like they are saying "I can't think of anything to do plot wise here have gore"!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
I still have the original Record of Lodoss War on VHS cassette so it's definitely a high nostalgia buy if/when Media Blasters puts it out, especially on Blu-ray which I'm not holding my breath for though I would be super pumped if actualized.

Here's an old title I'd like to see rescued and given a quality re-release even though I'm pretty sure I would be the only one excited or actually pay money for it....Green Legend Ran. Just me? Ok, yeah just me... Embarassed

Thanks to Calathan and the character guessing game thread I recently watched Green Legend Ran via YouTube. It's not bad at all. Sure, the anime style shows its age but there are several stunning scenes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:14 am Reply with quote
Thunderbird- wrote:
Well, this is just great! I preordered the K-on! and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time BDs from Right Stufs Bandai sale and now I'm going to be paranoid that they're not going to work.

Recently Bandai disks have been fine outside of the odd off problems (mono audio on the Haruhi stuff.)

Any personal paranoia of mine is from remembering the especially bad Bandai days and the (many) past problems Bandai had (paranoia is mostly from their old tendency to NOT admit there was a problem.)

Their current disks are generally fine and there isn't really any reason to not get them.

If Bandai is doing something I want I generally will get it as soon as I can, as should you if you can afford it.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
As for Freezing... I still don't get what the big deal is. Yeah, it's super-ultra gory... in episode ONE. I haven't seen a severed hand SINCE episode 1. A slashed neck once in a while, but how is that worse then say Bleach, when they almost cut people in half, blood included? Because there are boobies? Hate to break it to you, but even in regular fights, clothes get torn off. Let alone fights using nano-machined powered weapons, and throwing energy around.
Wow, De Nile aint just a river in Egypt.

Though, unintentionally, this may have revealed the rationale behind the "gore plus boobies" combo. "Its just so unrealistic that Ikki has all these fights that are massive enough to knock people's clothes off without ever having any body parts go flying too. It makes it hard to pretend that we're watching it for the fight scenese." "Ah, if you need some body parts flying around to keep up the pretense, we're happy to oblige."

Quote:
The fact that you thought it was supposed to be sexy makes you guys way sicker then me.
The fact that the combination of gore and boobies is clearly there to try to sell more DVDs is just the way the business works.

"Not getting it", though ~ that's the formula behind lots of C grade "horror" films, its hard to credit that supposed film aficionados are puzzled by it.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
So basically Freezing is just a gorier, sluttier version of My-Otome?
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Though, unintentionally, this may have revealed the rationale behind the "gore plus boobies" combo. "Its just so unrealistic that Ikki has all these fights that are massive enough to knock people's clothes off without ever having any body parts go flying too. It makes it hard to pretend that we're watching it for the fight scenese." "Ah, if you need some body parts flying around to keep up the pretense, we're happy to oblige."

As someone who's finding Freezing his favorite show of the season, that's not at all how the appeal works for me.

To me a lot of Freezing's appeal lies in its extreme version of tragedy-moe. Bad things happen to the main heroine and you feel sorry and protective of her; Freezing just takes that to an absurd and brutal height. Every single episode is a new case of unfair bullying perpetrated on Satellizer. And in episode 7 her story gets even more tragic, what with spoiler[her childhood of living with a step family who hated and sexually abused her, topped off with her sickly mother dying in her arms]. Freezing takes tragedy-moe out of the world of wistful sighs and disappearing girls (think Fuuko's arc in Clannad) and into a gritty, Lord of the Flies-like realm. Without the blood and guts you just don't have that.

I haven't been able to see Madoka, but based on the complaints about it appealing based on cruelty to children (spoiler[Mami getting her head bit off and all]), it might be a similar extension of moe.

Another interesting way to read Freezing, when Satellizer inevitably turns the table on her attackers each episode with some unknown power-up, is as an anime version of anti-bully revenge fantasies. The sort scribbled in the notebooks of teenagers in all post-industrialized countries.

Shenl742 wrote:
So basically Freezing is just a gorier, sluttier version of My-Otome?

If you want to massively over-simplify things, yeah. Sort of like saying The Bluest Eye is a darker, sluttier version of To Kill a Mockingbird." In many key aspects the two shows are completely different, though.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I think people who claim they like Ranma these days only do so because it's nostalgic for them, one of the first non-OVA or non-movie anime of considerable length that they were exposed to in the 90s.

I liked Ranma. >_>

And it also wasn't the first lengthy show I'd seen either.

And I DID watch all of it too so there ya go Zac. Yeah it's a lot of the same and it got tiresome of times but it had its moments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Maybe it's because I buy all my Bandai disc years later but I have never had a problem with Bandai disc.

This. And to go even further I buy a fair amount of their current releases and don't experience any problems either with only a couple exceptions. One is that there is a grammatical error in the description on the back cover of their recent My-Otome OVA release, but that hardly matters. Also, when I first purchased my Code Geass part 1 DVD set there were those issues with the second disc that everyone talked about for a while. HOWEVER, I gave that disc one run through my Blu-ray player and since then it has worked perfectly regardless of what player I use for it. So really I've been quite satisfied with all of the BANDAI releases I've received.

I was curious about something though. In terms of spelling issues with show descriptions Zac mentioned that some of Eureka Seven's DVD descriptions were off. Is that from an older release or something, because I'm looking at my two Anime Legends Complete Collection sets and I'm not really seeing anything wrong there.

Moving on, as far as the discussion on remakes goes I thought that the guest may have been too harsh when referring to those first 13 episodes of FMA: Brotherhood. I have NOT seen the original show but there's no way that those 13 eps. of Brotherhood are nearly as bad as he's making them out to be. And as far as what version to watch first, I actually consciously made the decision to go with the remake first. I mean why not? This version is supposed to be far truer to the manga so I thought it was a no-brainer (and since then, I have pretty much fallen in love with the show).

Finally, I want to mention the discussion about fanservice. Mainly that I would also love the idea of there being an episode devoted to determining what qualifies as "tasteful" fanservice. I'm just curious since I get the feeling that while I do dislike fanservice when it is is too forcefully applied, or rather is just shoehorned into a show (the most recent example I think of is High School of the Dead. Honestly, it's just laughable), I may be a bit more forgiving than Zac when it comes to how the fanservice is explicitly presented within said show. I also find it a bit funny when Zac mentioned a guy falling on a girl's breasts is "tastless" fanservice, when that exact example happened in NGE with Shinji and Rei; a show Zac said had "tasteful" fanservice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7