• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Japanese Government Establishes “Creative Industries Internationalization Committee” to Strength

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
Why does it matter if they attract people overseas? The Japanese music market is very healthy and you have some of the most loyal fans out there in the otaku (some people will buy 100 CDs of their favorite AKB girl just to help them in the elections!). Abandoning that fanbase just to appeal worldwide is really risky and not really worth doing in my opinion.

The thing with Japan is that its tastes and what it enjoys is pretty different from the rest of the world... if you're going to try to appeal internationally, you'll often do so at the expense of your own fans at home. Its similar to the video game industry that way... they can try to make shooters and other Western oriented games, but Japanese don't buy them at all. Why bother trying to appeal internationally if you lose your home audience? The home audience will always be the most important.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
@mdo7
I believe Puffy Ami-Yumi did a gig here at the Odeon in Hammersmith, West London a few years ago.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
RagnaVII wrote:
As you see, Thriller has sold a lot around the world, but has the US market been undermined? No. Seriously, back yourself up man

What does that have to do with what I said at all? American culture is loved and embraced around the world since its pretty much easy for anyone to get into. Yet Japanese culture is quite different and its hard to try to appeal worldwide while still staying Japanese enough to keep the fans there interested. Its a different type of deal.

Unless you're just trying to tell me that Japan should change what they like just to appeal to the rest of the world, and thats pretty egotistical.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The thing is... why does it matter if they attract people overseas? The Japanese music market is very healthy and you have some of the most loyal fans out there in the otaku (some people will buy 100 CDs of their favorite AKB girl just to help them in the elections!). Abandoning that fanbase just to appeal worldwide is really risky and not really worth doing in my opinion.

The thing with Japan is that its tastes and what it enjoys is pretty different from the rest of the world... Why bother trying to appeal internationally if you lose your home audience? The home audience will always be the most important.

Quote:
What does that have to do with what I said at all? American culture is loved and embraced around the world since its pretty much easy for anyone to get into. Yet Japanese culture is quite different and its hard to try to appeal worldwide while still staying Japanese enough to keep the fans there interested. Its a different type of deal.

Unless you're just trying to tell me that Japan should change what they like just to appeal to the rest of the world, and thats pretty egotistical.

Because K-pop is gaining more fans then J-pop and I'm seeing more K-pop concerts then J-pop concerts (I don't count anime con), aren't you concerned that Girls Generation and Super Junior will only be remembered around the world while AKB48 is only going to be remembered in Japan and not around the world. I mean aren't you jealous that K-pop group and artists are getting more fame and western attention then J-pop artists. Don't you want your J-pop group/artists getting the same level of fame and western attention like K-pop is getting? I mean people around the world are going to remember Super Junior, Girls Generation, 2NE1, BigBang, After School, U-KISS and other K-pop groups, while AKB48, EXILE, and other J-pop will not become well-known amongst the mainstream outside of Asia, only K-pop will be remembered. If you're OK with K-pop becoming famous in the mainstream around the world and J-pop still becoming a niche and not sharing the same love and fame around the world like K-pop, that's going to make you very sad and maybe jealous, but then again from your last comment, you have something against K-pop and Koreans.

Keeping J-pop in Japan is not a good idea because of the population shrinking dramatically, and it'll hurt the local sales including AKB48. Also as I said, there's probably a lot of J-pop artists and group that are getting jealous that K-pop artists/groups are getting more famous around the world then J-pop arists. As I said, when was the last time J-pop artists ever did a concerts in South America, never!!! K-pop artists are doing more concerts in South America then J-pop. Even Japan is concerned that K-pop is getting more western attention then J-pop. Because Japan is losing to South Korea in term of pop music export and how much K-pop is getting more publicity. Japan is not even exporting more J-drama, and yet Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore are smart enough to export a lot of their dramas to western audience. As I said, I can find 5 or 6 J-dramas on Crunchyroll and only 2 on Dramafever while there is over 400+ K-drama and over 25+ Chinese language dramas avaliable for me to watch.

Quote:
if you're going to try to appeal internationally, you'll often do so at the expense of your own fans at home. Its similar to the video game industry that way... they can try to make shooters and other Western oriented games, but Japanese don't buy them at all.

Uh, Call of Duty, Battlefield 3, L.A Noire, GTA, and Uncharted 3 sales in Japan would like to talk to you about that. Also western games are also selling very well in Japan. So that's starting to change a bit in Japanese gaming market.

As I said, U-KISS is an example of a K-pop band that don't have a lot of fans and is under appreciated in South Korea, but they have more fans outside of South Korea (they have more fans in Japan then in South Korea, and they have a lot of fans in South America, USA, and Europe. So that makes up for not having a lot of fans in South Korea).

As I said, K-pop is getting more popular and famous around the world. It's going to become mainstream in the UK very soon and I never seen J-pop having this same type of popularity like K-pop is getting. Are you not even that concerned like I am when Girls Generation is getting more fame and western attention from the media then AKB48, like I never seen AKB48 performing on David Letterman and Live with Regis and Kelly where Girls Generation did that. AKB48 never done a real world tour (they only performed at anime cons), while K-pop are doing real concerts that are not at a convention.

Mohawk52 wrote:
@mdo7
I believe Puffy Ami-Yumi did a gig here at the Odeon in Hammersmith, West London a few years ago.

They're more J-rock then J-pop. Any other J-pop artists beside them performed in the UK?

Last edited by mdo7 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
I don't think Michael Jackson changed his style every time he toured a different country and to my knowledge his music videos are more or less the same in every country. Michael Jackson was already a big star before Thriller and American artists are generally better acknowledged in international media.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Because K-pop is gaining more fans then J-pop and I'm seeing more K-pop concerts then J-pop concerts (I don't count anime con), aren't you concerned that Girls Generation and Super Junior will only be remembered around the world while AKB48 is only going to be remembered in Japan and not around the world. I mean aren't you jealous that K-pop group and artists are getting more fame and western attention then J-pop artists. Don't you want your J-pop group/artists getting the same level of fame and western attention like K-pop is getting?

No, why would I be? If all I cared what is what was popular, I wouldn't be an anime fan. I enjoy what I enjoy and couldn't care less if others liked it.

mdo7 wrote:
Uh, Call of Duty, Battlefield 3, L.A Noire, GTA, and Uncharted 3 sales in Japan would like to talk to you about that. Also western games are also selling very well in Japan. So that's starting to change a bit in Japanese gaming market.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/49054/uncharted-3-drakes-deception/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/40230/battlefield-3/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/33961/la-noire/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/44605/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/

Yeah, look at those huge sales. And only reason CoD did moderately well was because Square published it and gave it a pretty big marketing campaign.

The main reason the consoles are dying in Japan vs handhelds is because they're full of little else but niche Western titles
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
I don't think Michael Jackson changed his style every time he toured a different country and to my knowledge his music videos are more or less the same in every country. Michael Jackson was already a big star before Thriller and American artists are generally better acknowledged in international media.

Yeah and South Korea is doing a good job on how to impress the world with K-pop, while Japan is not putting any real effort to promote J-pop around the world. If K-pop end up making it on the history textbook (meaning Girls Generation, Super Junior, PSY, BigBang, and 2NE1 will be remembered by the mainstream around the world) and J-pop won't get any mainstream attention or mention around the world, as I said J-pop is in danger of being beaten by K-pop worldwide if Japan does not promote J-pop outside of Japan and Asia.

RyanSaotome wrote:

mdo7 wrote:

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/49054/uncharted-3-drakes-deception/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/40230/battlefield-3/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/33961/la-noire/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/44605/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/

Yeah, look at those huge sales. And only reason CoD did moderately well was because Square published it and gave it a pretty big marketing campaign.

The main reason the consoles are dying in Japan vs handhelds is because they're full of little else but niche Western titles

-LA Noire had a strong sales in Japan at the beginning

-Uncharted 3 and Battlefield 3 has a strong sales in Japan at the beginning, that's all I care about.

I don't care about your evidence, because you just want to make western games in Japan look bad although they had strong sales when they first came out. Of course sales would go down weeks by weeks, it happen too in other countries. That's why I focus on their release sales, that help me determine how receptive the game is in Japan.

Quote:
mdo7 wrote:
Because K-pop is gaining more fans then J-pop and I'm seeing more K-pop concerts then J-pop concerts (I don't count anime con), aren't you concerned that Girls Generation and Super Junior will only be remembered around the world while AKB48 is only going to be remembered in Japan and not around the world. I mean aren't you jealous that K-pop group and artists are getting more fame and western attention then J-pop artists. Don't you want your J-pop group/artists getting the same level of fame and western attention like K-pop is getting?

No, why would I be? If all I cared what is what was popular, I wouldn't be an anime fan. I enjoy what I enjoy and couldn't care less if others liked it.

So you don't want AKB48, EXILE, and other J-pop artists to get the same level of fame and western attention like K-pop artists even though they have potential to compete with K-pop artists on a international scale. You don't want Japan to have it's own "hallyu"/Japanese wave like Korea did? Wow, you're really are not caring about Japan losing it's status as cultural superpower when South Korea have that status.

Let me tell you, 15 years from now on, when K-pop has already dominate the world and you're seeing people and more people know more about K-pop then J-pop and only Girls Generation, 2NE1, Super Junior, Big Bang and any other K-pop will be talked about amongst the mainstream people around the world. Some people and anime fans in the future are going to ask "Why didn't Japan take advantage of the Korean wave/K-pop explosion to globalize J-pop? Why didn't Japan learn anything from the Korean Wave to help promote Japanese pop culture? Why did Korea have more tourists then Japan? Why did Japan not do more then just promote anime/manga, they could've promoted J-pop and J-drama all over the world? Why didn't AKB48 get famous on the same level as Girls Generation, and why didn't EXILE performed outside of Japan unlike Super Junior which did many concerts around the world?"

Last edited by mdo7 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:30 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
Here's my 2 cents.

My impression is that most K-pop emulates western styles, tastes, sensibilities. So too does J-pop, but yet there is still a significant portion that is distinctly Japanese, sort of like how enka is Japan's version of sentimental ballad. For example, the non-musical portions with the idol and gravure culture e.g. photo spreads in shounen mags, and kawaii factor. Dances are also different. Not sure how well those distinguishing factors will fly in some countries.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
So you don't want AKB48, EXILE, and other J-pop artists to get the same level of fame and western attention like K-pop artists even though they have potential to compete with K-pop artists on a international scale. You don't want Japan to have it's own "hallyu"/Japanese wave like Korea did? Wow, you're really are not caring about Japan losing it's status as cultural superpower when South Korea have that status.

Not if it comes to changing what I like about them. If they just emulated K-pop, it wouldn't be J-pop anymore and I couldn't care less if they did well then. I have no "allegiance" to any country other than my own, I just watch, listen to or play what I like.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Here's my 2 cents.

My impression is that most K-pop emulates western styles, tastes, sensibilities. So too does J-pop, but yet there is still a significant portion that is distinctly Japanese, sort of like how enka is Japan's version of sentimental ballad. For example, the non-musical portions with the idol and gravure culture e.g. photo spreads in shounen mags, and kawaii factor. Dances are also different. Not sure how well those distinguishing factors will fly in some countries.

Exactly, J-pop and K-pop do differ, but I have seen K-pop do emulate J-pop like SNSD songs Gee and Oh! do sound "J-pop"-ish on some level. So I don't see how J-pop emulating K-pop being any different. As I said, I've seen Japan emulating stuff like phones, cars, and video game console all from the west. So how would J-pop emulate K-pop and western pop be any different. K-pop idols do modeling but not on a sexy level like Gravure idols. K-pop dance are more active and challenging then J-pop (although there are some exception like E-Girls do have dances that can compete with K-pop dances).
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
@mdo7

What I'm saying is that for the more distinctly Japanese portions of the subculture, both musical and non-musical parts, from AKB48 to Vocaloids, etc. I am not sure even with mega marketing how well that will do in some countries.

Personally I think it will gain traction with some, maybe even a large niche, but probably won't become "mainstream". Different societies or people will respond differently. It's the same way with anime, manga, and games. All of those more Japanese aesthetics and subcultures would be more accepted in France than the US for example.

Coming back to the article though, Japan should make available--without fear--their goods globally, but I don't you need to capture the majority of a country's audience or become the "mainstream" to be successful. There are many countries and many people to go around.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I just want to note that I find it incredibly ironic that mdo is using AKB48 as example of the "failure" of JPop compared to KPop when Akimoto has already built "sister" groups in Indonesia and Shanghai and I think he's considered doing an American one.

I also find the notion that ANY of these groups (Japanese OR Korean) would sustain beyond maybe 5 years to be fairly laughable. Even with Western Pop, you have, what, 5 performers/groups that one can realistically say are enduring. The Spice Girls were huge (worldwide) for a few years, so were "New Kids on the Block", and sure, people that lived through their run remember them, but any concept that they'll be more than a blip in the mythical "music history book" is ridiculous. It's not like people are clamoring for the reunion tours their trying to do. (yes, some people do GO to them, but they're not the sensations they were before and they won't be remembered for what they're doing now)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7
I don't know why you are so concerned about the future of J-Pop. So what if the Koreans are dominating now. Couple years from now, it will be someone else. It is the way of things. The fans that like anime, J-Pop, and J-Dramas are not going anywhere.

You burying us in stats is useless too. We really could care less about them. They mean nothing.

If Japan wants to expand and market to a international audience, they can do so with the next wave of new talent. You don't seem to understand that many of us, like the Japanese the way they are. We don't want them to change to reflect Western morality. What you want would destroy what we like about the Japanese.

Yeah, there are those that like anime, but don't like where it is now. They probably want Western sensibilities or concerns reflected in it
Personally, I hope that never happens, because it would not be Japanese anime anymore.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I don't care about your evidence, because you just want to make western games in Japan look bad although they had strong sales when they first came out. Of course sales would go down weeks by weeks, it happen too in other countries. That's why I focus on their release sales, that help me determine how receptive the game is in Japan.

Your evidence is Kotaku, one of the biggest joke sites out there when it comes to video gaming 'journalism'. Notice they say it was the "#1 top charter in Japan". Know why? Because nothing else came out that week. It only sold 50K its first week, that's minuscule compared to any other big release whose first week is at least 100K. If it sold 8 copies and nothing else came out you could still call something the 'best seller' of the week. Kotaku spins numbers and facts and just plain makes things up all the time.

And for the sake of argument.. why does music matter so much? Couldn't you point to anime and video games as a thing Japan does that Korea doesn't? What makes music the be-all end-all? Music is fairly fickle all things considered. The biggest Korean singer had his 15 moments of fame when he did a silly music video of him dancing around. I don't think that's general interest in Korean culture so much as it is "hey, check out this funny song/video". I think the lasting impact of Nintendo and anime on the western video game and animation industry is far more major and apparent. Nintendo pretty much revitalized gaming two times and anime aesthetics has pretty much taken over the animation industry on TV in France, Italy, America, and other western countries.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I just want to note that I find it incredibly ironic that mdo is using AKB48 as example of the "failure" of JPop compared to KPop when Akimoto has already built "sister" groups in Indonesia and Shanghai and I think he's considered doing an American one.

Well I find it odd you ignored my information about K-pop making achievements that J-pop couldn't make. I'm aware of Akimoto making a "AKB48" like group for Taiwan, and Indonesia, but I'm not aware of a possible American one, could you give me a link or evidence to back that up because I never heard of that. Although given K-pop popularity, it's possible we could see a Korean AKB48 with hopefully a dance talent of SNSD.

So let me ask you this: When was the last time J-pop get a major publicity like K-pop almost not a lot. When was the last time J-pop did a concert in the Middle East? None, Seo In Young, Nine Muses, and ZE:A was the first K-pop band and probably the first time singers from East Asia performed in the Middle East. When was the last time J-pop performed in South America? None, K-pop bands filled that achievements like U-KISS performed in Colombia and some other South American countries. G. NA, 4minute, Beast, and MBLAQ performed in Brazil. JYJ performed in Chile and Peru. JYJ's Xia Junsu performed in Mexico, Brazil, and Chile. Now the upcoming Super Junior Super Show 5 will take place in Peru, Argentina, Brazil, and Chile. ZE:A, After School, U-KISS, Davichi, and couple of other K-pop groups (Rania, Sunny Hill, and AA are in talk of joining this concert tour. EDIT: it's confirmed, Rania, Sunny Hill, and AA will be joining the concerts in South America after all) are going to perform in Chile and other South American countries probably including Mexico from August to November of this year. As I said, I never seen J-pop going to South America (anime cons don't really count, if they had a big concerts not at an anime cons) when K-pop already did that and Korea cares more about their fans then Japan when it comes to doing big concerts.

Quote:
I also find the notion that ANY of these groups (Japanese OR Korean) would sustain beyond maybe 5 years to be fairly laughable. Even with Western Pop, you have, what, 5 performers/groups that one can realistically say are enduring. The Spice Girls were huge (worldwide) for a few years, so were "New Kids on the Block", and sure, people that lived through their run remember them, but any concept that they'll be more than a blip in the mythical "music history book" is ridiculous. It's not like people are clamoring for the reunion tours their trying to do. (yes, some people do GO to them, but they're not the sensations they were before and they won't be remembered for what they're doing now)

Wrong, FYI:

Girls Generation came out in 2007, 5 years ago yet they're still strong and still dominating even today.

BigBang, debuted in 2006, and still stronger then ever and at their prime.

Super Junior, debuted in 2005, and yet they're still active and strong and gaining more fame around the world.

Again, I take it you never listen to K-pop or did some research before you made that statement.

TarsTarkas wrote:
I don't know why you are so concerned about the future of J-Pop. So what if the Koreans are dominating now. Couple years from now, it will be someone else. It is the way of things. The fans that like anime, J-Pop, and J-Dramas are not going anywhere.

You burying us in stats is useless too. We really could care less about them. They mean nothing.

If Japan wants to expand and market to a international audience, they can do so with the next wave of new talent. You don't seem to understand that many of us, like the Japanese the way they are. We don't want them to change to reflect Western morality. What you want would destroy what we like about the Japanese.

Yeah, there are those that like anime, but don't like where it is now. They probably want Western sensibilities or concerns reflected in it
Personally, I hope that never happens, because it would not be Japanese anime anymore.

It's not only me, a lot of other fans like anime fans, J-pop fans, and fans of both K-pop and J-pop are really concern about Japan is not taking enough role of promoting J-pop, I've seen people being concern that Japan is not exporting a lot of J-dramas, and there are a lot of good J-drama from what I was told. As I said, I could only find few J-dramas on Crunchyroll and Dramafever where I can find like over 400+ K-drama available for me to watch on streaming sites, also I find more Chinese-language dramas from Singapore, China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong on Dramafever then J-dramas so that is not a good sight if you're a Japanese pop culture fans like me. As I said, a lot of Japanese pop culture enthusiasts are concerned that Japan is not taking pro-active action in exporting more then anime/manga. A lot of J-pop fans used K-pop popularity to prove that J-pop can also appeal and can probably catch popularity to a international audience. A lot of fans of Asian dramas have also been demanding J-dramas too because well they want to get to know Japan beyond anime and manga. I never seen NHK World on US TV playing J-dramas while Arirang TV and KBS World TV in US broadcast K-dramas. So that's making people criticizing Japan for not cashing in on the K-drama popularity.

TitanXL wrote:
Your evidence is Kotaku, one of the biggest joke sites out there when it comes to video gaming 'journalism'. Notice they say it was the "#1 top charter in Japan". Know why? Because nothing else came out that week.

Well tell me what other sites have interesting articles like this, or this, or this or what about this? Good luck finding these articles, I don't think you couldn't find these articles beside on Kotaku.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:25 am; edited 4 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7