• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online Blu-Ray 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
^
He wasn't stating his opinion, he was stating fact.
Himeko90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
He wasn't stating his opinion, he was stating fact.

Prevailing/majority opinion =/= fact.......
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
You seem to have this weird idea that discussion can only be held over verifiable facts.
sonic720

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
YesNoMaybe wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Haha someone actually used her utterly meaningless "sacrifice" to try and defend Asuna's character.

Thats hilarious.

I don't mind Fencedude5609 not liking the show and I respect his views. To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of it either.

He doesn't need to be such a smartass about it!

The bottom line is this, whether you love, hate, or are ambivalent toward SAO, or any other work for that matter, treat others with which you disagree with civility and respect in the discussion. If we all act considerately toward one another, then we can have real substantive debate about the content of the show and not the people posting.

As to the opinion versus fact stuff, unless I see actual data then you are stating your opinion. The user ratings of SAO on ANN currently say Median rating: Very good - this is a fact. SAO is very good - this is my opinion.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:

You are absolutely correct. Sword Art Online is extremely popular, with far more fans than detractors, but that doesn't make it good.

Thank you for your support.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Himeko90 wrote:

You are absolutely correct. Sword Art Online is extremely popular, with far more fans than detractors, but that doesn't make it good.

You are correct. However, that it has detractors - even vehement ones - does not make it factually bad, either.

Look, we've done this fact vs. opinion routine on whether or not the series is objectively or factually bad and it always ends up devolving into petty bickering. Thus I am putting a moratorium on that line of discussion now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:01 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
You are correct. However, that it has detractors - even vehement ones - does not make it factually bad, either.

I'm not saying it is bad because it has detractors. That's not my argument at all.

Key wrote:
Look, we've done this fact vs. opinion routine on whether or not the series is objectively or factually bad and it always ends up devolving into petty bickering. Thus I am putting a moratorium on that line of discussion now.

Eh, fair enough. We've done this routine so often we probably sound like a bickering married couple.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
Personally, I loved the premise of this show, but after watching a few episodes on Toonami, I got confused and bored. The pacing was horrible, and so was the writing, and I feel it took itself too seriously. It took a huge downturn from the "Oh my god! I love this!" after seeing the first episode. With that said, I do love the artwork, animation, and voice-work (especially Cherami Leigh). I would even pick it up on Blu-ray and give it another shot should that ever become affordable.

With THAT said, this show is similar to Twilight in that I find both it's fandom and it's hatedom to be annoying.
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
With THAT said, this show is similar to Twilight in that I find both it's fandom and it's hatedom to be annoying.

So basically you hate anyone other than you who talks about it?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
No, I am talking about the fans who praise it to no end and bash anyone who doesn't like it, as well as the fans who HATE (not just dislike) it and bash anyone who likes it even a little bit. In other words, fans who are OBNOXIOUS in their love or hate for it. I didn't mean everyone who likes or dislikes it. I didn't even say I hated them. I just mentioned that I found them to be annoying. That's all.
Himeko90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Thank you for your support.

Yeah, don't get too red-faced. I was referring to the prevailing, anti-SAO opinion in this thread. Rolling Eyes

Fencedude5609 wrote:
You seem to have this weird idea that discussion can only be held over verifiable facts.

And you seem to have the weird idea that your opinions on things are irrefutable facts.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:
Yeah, don't get too red-faced. I was referring to the prevailing, anti-SAO opinion in this thread. Rolling Eyes

Sarcasm is difficult to pick out on the internet but nevertheless I thought I was being pretty clearly sarcastic, even for those who didn't already know my stance on the show.

In other words, don't be too condescending, especially when you were the one who misread my post.
Himeko90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
In other words, don't be too condescending, especially when you were the one who misread my post.

Don't be too sarcastic, especially when it was your post that caused the supposedly "condescending" post to be created. It's not like we have a shortage of it around here.......
sonic720

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
One thing I did not see mentioned in the review is the episode specific commentaries with the Japanese staff and cast. There's one for episode 11 and one for episode 14, and both are a fun listen. LiSA, the musical artist who performs the OP song "crossing field," is a guest in one; in fact she says it was her first time recording a commentary track.

The cast asks her what she would do if she were trapped in the game with everyone else and she replied she'd be "the old lady at the save point." She then clarifies that means she would stay in one place and perform for weary players who would come visit her. The cast has a lot of fun joking with each other about the characters they play too. If you enjoy extras such as these, then these are a really nice bonus as well.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:

And you seem to have the weird idea that your opinions on things are irrefutable facts.

Please point to where I said that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7