• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
Gonstead wrote:
For those wondering, they've already been asked if they could air KLK on Toonami and they replied back that it would need to be censored to the point of not even being worth it if they wanted to try and get it to air on TV.

Of course, you will give us a source for that statement, right?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
For those wondering, they've already been asked if they could air KLK on Toonami and they replied back that it would need to be censored to the point of not even being worth it if they wanted to try and get it to air on TV.

That sounds a lot different from what DeMarco's Twitter said, which was that they were unsure of what edits would be needed, not that edits would make it un-viewable.

In a perfect world, KLK would be on FX after Archer, but the world is not perfect.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:32 am Reply with quote
Cue whiny comments about how English Kamina is "greatly inferior" to Japanese Kamina because Kyle Hebert didn't yell like a hot-blooded giant robot pilot stereotype at all in 3, 2, 1...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:34 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
And they're supposedly going to replace "Blue Exorcist" with this. I guess it's Toonami's way of saying "Sorry you had to suffer through this. We had no idea BE would be 20 episodes of nothing happening. It looked way better in the previewers."

What? Is that really the general consensus regarding BE?
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

And is it confirmed that the Blue Exorcist run won't be completed with (I assume) only a few episodes left to go? I was wondering what's been happening with it. It's going to be extremely annoying if we've wasted our time watching it when we're never going to see the end .

As for Gurren Lagann, I'm sure many people are excited about it and there are new anime fans who didn't see the SyFy airing years ago, but I wish we would be getting something else that hasn't aired at all yet. It wasn't a particular favorite of mine, so I probably won't be rewatching.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:55 am Reply with quote
I have little hopes for Cartoon networks, never mind Syfy.

I loved Gurren Lagann, but American Cable Networks have always handled mature/non-cartoonish anime shows badly and censored snot out of them or butcher them. I'm not saying this will be the case, but i'm done with cable.

Space Dandy is comedy, Its voice acting isn't so hot and they censor. Hardly anything racy. Gurren Lagann has more so than Dandy, which isn't experimental dumbed down comedy for export.

I feel sorry people who aren't able watch stuff through Crunchyroll and lesser though Cracker. Networks are bad now.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:45 am Reply with quote
@Wrangler First of all, fix up your spelling and grammar. Secondly, you're making a huge generalization. Attack on Titan is mostly uncut. GITS SAC was mostly uncut, as was Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Naruto, One Piece and plenty of other shows. Oh and for the most part, Gurren Lagann is quite cartoonish. The art style should tell you that.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:11 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:

And is it confirmed that the Blue Exorcist run won't be completed with (I assume) only a few episodes left to go? I was wondering what's been happening with it. It's going to be extremely annoying if we've wasted our time watching it when we're never going to see the end .

What are you talking about? Blue Exorcist only has 3 episodes left and Gurren Lagann isn't premiering for 4 weeks.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
And they're supposedly going to replace "Blue Exorcist" with this. I guess it's Toonami's way of saying "Sorry you had to suffer through this. We had no idea BE would be 20 episodes of nothing happening. It looked way better in the previewers."

That wasn't obvious after 2 episodes? I dropped this show so fast.

belvadeer wrote:

Based on the ratings on ANN, probably not. But it's hot garbage regardless.

--//--

This is probably a good get for AS, but I'll skip it. Watched it already, really not a fan.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Panzer Vor wrote:
Gonstead wrote:

That sounds a lot different from what DeMarco's Twitter said, which was that they were unsure of what edits would be needed, not that edits would make it un-viewable.

In a perfect world, KLK would be on FX after Archer, but the world is not perfect.

That you, JMan?

[also, good news is good]
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Space Dandy is comedy, Its voice acting isn't so hot and they censor. Hardly anything racy. Gurren Lagann has more so than Dandy, which isn't experimental dumbed down comedy for export.

Are you kidding me with this?
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoy Blue Exorcist. Liked it the first time I saw it on Crunchyroll, like the manga, like watching the dub on Toonami now. It's not ground breaking shonen action, but few shows are. It's still fun (even the anime only ending).

That said, those of you claiming Toonami has no relevance anymore should take a look at the ratings and Twitter trends it generates (Twitter trends are being used as a mark of popularity and social relevance by most networks these days). I hadn't had a chance to see Black Lagoon till it aired on Toonami, and I'm really enjoying it now. Hoping for the same experience with Gurren Lagann, which flew under my radar because I'm not a big mecha fan and wasn't impressed much by it's first episode. Bring it on!

(Also, acquiring older shows gives me hope that they might still air Inuyasha: The Final Act...someday).
Stall_19

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I have little hopes for Cartoon networks, never mind Syfy.

I loved Gurren Lagann, but American Cable Networks have always handled mature/non-cartoonish anime shows badly and censored snot out of them or butcher them. I'm not saying this will be the case, but i'm done with cable.

You won't have to worry about anything like that. Black Lagoon is currently airing on Toonami and other than censoring the F word there has been very little censoring.
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Meh. My brother giving me the DVD boxset for Christmas didn't convince me to watch this past episode 1. I doubt that Toonami will.
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
What are you talking about? Blue Exorcist only has 3 episodes left and Gurren Lagann isn't premiering for 4 weeks.

I'm referring to AnimeKing1108's comment. Considering Blue Exorcist just had a repeat episode, I'm assuming he may have read or heard that it's being yanked early. Perhaps I misread?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6