• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Turn A Gundam Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
A far as Gundam series go this one is quite unique especially the setting. The series does have a heavier emphasis on chacter interactions than your average gundam series, and most of the battles are subdued and simple by comparison.

I also like how well balanced each side is in terms of good and bad people. While most Gundam series usually have good people people on both sides its usually very clear which side is the lesser or greater evil.

I'll admit the pacing can be a bit off at times. The show is very much a slow burn series but at certain times it does seem to wander around pointlessly. Though this isn't a huge problem for me and even some of the pointless episodes can be fun.

One thing does have me worried though. While I am enjoying the show, for the most part, there has been very little in the way of pay off so far. The first half feels mostly like one massive build up and I'm hoping that it really pays off in the end (something that Reconguista failed to do for me).
Sailor Sedna wrote:
@AiddonValentine

But the trilogy had bad transitions and left out a lot of important stuff and things came out of nowhere: animenewsnetwork.com/review/gundam-movie-iii-dvd

Eh, I'd recommend seeing the original trilogy for yourself, unless you already have.

There are some weird transitions and a few things that seem to come out of no where (Mirai's sudden crush on Slegger) but IMO they do very little to hinder the Trilogy.

Also there really isn't anything important in the TV series that was left out of the trilogy.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:
It's sad that "Turn A Gundam" doesn't get an English dub. If any of the "Gundam" series is deserving of a dub,it's this one. Why not? Heck,the original "Gundam" got a dub and it's twice as old as this one is. Age has nothing to do with it. I hope at a later time,this one gets a dub. From what I've heard of this one,it deserves it.

Very different times. First Gundam was dubbed in 2001 when just about everything was dubbed. The market has greatly changed since then.

I do wish Turn A Gundam got a dub however because it is very dialog heavy. Much like Fate/Zero(dub is more enjoyable than reading what feels like a textbook).

Yeah, it really ashame Turn A didn't get a dub.

And like Snomaster1 said, for years many people had said that this show was good enough to deserve a dub so it's unfortunate that it didn't get one when it finally came out.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
Prince Gotonoke wrote:

While I had seen most of this back in the day when it was on Toonami and Adult Swim, I didn't have the best memory of it. I do absolutely love the OVA's outside of Unicorn. The rest of it however? Not so much. I will agree with what @dtm42 said about Tomino, he can come up with intriguing ideas, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Characters are poorly developed. Either the writing for them is undercooked, or Tomino doesn't properly develop them and their actions feel totally inorganic. Char's Counterattack is the biggest offender for this criticism, in my opinion. There is also questionable choices in what kind of ideologies that Tomino frames in the positive. The casual sexism that runs deep in both MSG and Zeta just makes it tough to watch. Though part of these criticisms I do chalk up to the fact most of this stuff was made during a different era, but there is only so much leeway I am willing to give there.

I'm hoping that by 2000 after the medium had done some evolving and that more complex shows became okay with studios, that Tomino had honed his craft enough to bring something better than his previous gundam works. As well as a more mature viewpoint on women other than, they are too emotional! I just don't know if after having been burned in the past by him that I'm willing to drop more money on his gundam works. It is also pretty telling to me that the gundam stuff I enjoy the best doesn't have his involvement. But damn, this series is really intriguing to me.

That is the recurring issue with Tomino in his works time and time again; interesting worlds, good concepts, an interesting character or two...and then the execution is at best flawed and at worst a mess. The man is consistent in his inconsistency, if nothing else. He's good at ideas, but actually writing and directing something his talents are average at best. It's possible he's just a diamond in the rough who just couldn't bring himself to bring on another writer or director to help hone his ideas (the closest that ever happened was when he worked with Mamoru Nagano on L-Gaim and Zeta Gundam in which there was a TON of backstage drama, including a bizarre love triangle). I'll never question the man's influence and importance to anime, but I can't ignore his creative issues.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote
One disc away from finishing the set. My friend got it for me as a present, I was having a pretty stressful month so this has helped. I'm really enjoying this set, its my first time watching an official DVD from any region. My only experience watching the series prior to this was with the fansub that has been online for over a decade so the huge jump in quality (audio, visual, and subtitling) has been amazing.

They did a great job with designating the disc art selection. Thumbs up to whoever decided to use the BD box illustrations for the reverse covers. If you like Kihel and Dianna and haven't already seen the second reverse cover you are in for a treat.

As for Tomino, love him or hate him you gotta admit that throughout all of these decades whatever he contributes to the medium stands out from the rest because of its originality. I believe that he takes his job as an artist very seriously and I've always liked him for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5