• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ajin (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
I get the general gist. But it still doesn't credibly explain the subservience. For example, Tosaki (at one time) was the only one who knew that Shimomura was an Ajin. She could have killed him at any time and her secret would have died with him. She was already part of the organization so she'd just be partnered up with somebody else who didn't know she was Ajin. I'm just saying that at a certain point, you think they'd start kicking back against the abuse considering the power they have.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I get the general gist. But it still doesn't credibly explain the subservience. For example, Tosaki (at one time) was the only one who knew that Shimomura was an Ajin. She could have killed him at any time and her secret would have died with him. She was already part of the organization so she'd just be partnered up with somebody else who didn't know she was Ajin. I'm just saying that at a certain point, you think they'd start kicking back against the abuse considering the power they have.

Stuff redacted.

Last edited by lesterf1020 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
@ lesterf1020 - I scolded another poster yesterday for refering to source material in an anime discussion thread, so for the sake of consistency I have to do the same with you. The reference you made, I realize, is very general but I still don't want to find out ANYTHING until the anime tells me it's so. I'm probably the most hardcore on insisting on this but I know others feel somewhat similarly. In future, if you want to make reference to source material - no matter how slight, or in your opinion innocuous, please use spoiler tags. Thanks.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
You're not more hardcore than me on this issue, you're just more outspoken. So thanks for that. Smile

One additional note, please mark outside the tags that they're hiding spoilers from the source material. I've stumbled into too many spoilers I thought were about the current episode of an anime (which aren't spoilers once I've seen the episode), but instead were massive spoilers from the source.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 (or 19)

Not quite sure how the Americans were able to get themselves and Tosaki out of the safe house, but that happened. We see how Izumi and Tosaki started out together. Yeah, her stepfather was a dick and got what he deserved. Shame her mother paid the price, too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
I wonder how her step-dad found out? Did she try to commit suicide and revive, did he try to kill her and she surprised him by not staying dead, or what?

I kept half-expecting they'd kill Tosaka and he'd turn out to be an Ajin too. I'm not sure if I'd find that amusing or groan-worthy. I kinda like that he's on the receiving end of the torture rounds though. It'll be interesting to see if he has any change of heart about it now. Again, not sure how I'll feel either way. Depends on how they deal with it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd say the reveal came to the stepfather via suicide.

I like this show, but I just wish there were some characters I could actually like. Everyone on the Japanese government side is a complete scumbag with except for Izumi but she's do devoted to that creep Tosaki that I can't really muster much enthusiasm for her, either. Despite being a major cutie-pie.

Our putative "hero" is a sullen, joyless bland blob. That spaz who is with him has his heart in the right place but his mannerism are so freaking annoying. Plus, he's as dumb as a box of rocks.

Satou and his merry band actually have legitimate reasons for their fury and I think they have limited their killing so far to people who are actually guilty. I can't remember - were innocent bystanders killed when that building blew up in Season 1? But I just can't bring myself to feel warmly towards them.

The one character who I do like - Kaito - has basically been put on ice for the entire run except for at the very beginning and a cameo a few episodes ago.

Come on, Ajin, give me somebody to root for.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Izumi is an interesting character imo. Her past wasn't pleasant but that goes to show her dark this show can be. Plus, I think this episode really established how much she cares about Tosaki.

Literally a cat and mouse game now to save him as well.

It'll also be interesting to see if they can save Tosaki next time considering the destination they're heading.Very excited for the next episode!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote

New OP song and animation for the second half of the season. The latter reuses some images from episodes aired to date but the quality is still there. If the scenes are any indication, it looks like viewers will be seeing a lot more of Satou in action before the series finishes airing.The new song is an improvement on the first half of the season but not as catchy or memorable as the first season's OP song.

No more PM, but at least the anti-Satou team have been thrown a lifeline thanks to Satou's complete confidence in his ability to stay ahead and the destructiveness of his secret weapon. A shame Tanaka changed his mind and opted not to blow Sokabe's face into bloody pieces.

I'm not sure if the new anti-Ajin special ops squad announced this week is the same as the one they proposed throwing against Satou and Nagai back in season 1. By the looksof things the government has learnt from past encounters and isn't holding back on the equipment.

Myers is actually very similar to Shinomura in their respective positions, but it's ironic for the latter to hate the former even though there are plenty of grounds for empathy. Cultural differences between the two nationalities again coming to the fore in this episode as one exits the stage.

I wonder if internal rifts in Satou's team might be a factor coming into play towards the end of the season. Already there are signs that Tanaka is starting to question Satou's motivations in the great assassination game they are all involved in.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:53 am Reply with quote
Ha ha, good-bye American moron. Yes, letting an Ajin know that she's going to be is in deep shit is a really, really intelligent move. A bullet in your obviously brainless head is your deserved fate. If Tosaki didn't have plot immunity, he should be dead for the same reason. "Hey, let's be really nasty to an Ajin because that is clearly the path to a long, peaceful life!"

I agree that there do appear to be cracks in the Satou organization. Although I think Tanaka was dumb to actually take the minister at his word. If that's his basis for questioning Satou he may end up being right for the wrong reason.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I agree that there do appear to be cracks in the Satou organization. Although I think Tanaka was dumb to actually take the minister at his word. If that's his basis for questioning Satou he may end up being right for the wrong reason.

I don't think that was Tanaka's problem. The whole point of the assassination list was to force the government to recognize and negotiate with the ajin. However here Satou had a senior government official at his mercy and never once considered using that as the basis of anything. In other words it is starting to become clear to Tanaka and his friends that Satou isn't interested in Ajin rights at all. His decision to tell everyone when and where he will attack next just so that he can use his secret weapon also feeds into that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
Well, for the minister assassination to play the way you are suggesting with Tanaka, what I would have like to have seen is Tanaka saying something like, "yeah, obviously he's lying, but if we take him hostage, we can use him as a bargaining chip." If Satou still persisted in killing after an exchange like that, then it would help sell the idea of cracks appearing in the organization. That way it is now, Tanaka seems to be taking the minister at face value which doesn't really make much sense. And I haven't yet got the impression from Tanaka that he has a particular problem with the group using the secret weapon. I think there being cracks is a great story development but I think it could have been telegraphed a bit more credibly.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Was there some sort of hidden message in Meyers' constant visible panty line? VPL isn't something you see everyday in anime (instead you just get straight up panty shots). Smile

All this time I thought Satou's last target was the PM, but this guy was what, just the Health and Stuff Minister?

I was waiting for the shit to hit the fan when Tosaki found out what Shinomura had done, but it turned out somewhat milder than I'd expected. I don't think they retrieved his mints though, so he's a ticking time bomb now...

I wish I had cleaners for the messes I make.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Geez, Gina Szanboti, you must have sharper eyes than an old horndog like me. I didn't notice the VPL. Personally, I'm disappointed to learn that Meyers even bothers wearing panties.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, for the minister assassination to play the way you are suggesting with Tanaka, what I would have like to have seen is Tanaka saying something like, "yeah, obviously he's lying, but if we take him hostage, we can use him as a bargaining chip." If Satou still persisted in killing after an exchange like that, then it would help sell the idea of cracks appearing in the organization. That way it is now, Tanaka seems to be taking the minister at face value which doesn't really make much sense. And I haven't yet got the impression from Tanaka that he has a particular problem with the group using the secret weapon. I think there being cracks is a great story development but I think it could have been telegraphed a bit more credibly.

After seeing everything to date, it would be massively out of character for Tanaka to proactively suggest to Satou about using the Prime Minister as a bargaining chip. He's never been anything but a passive participant in the grand assassination scheme in the hopes that Ajin like himself win the right to live in peace.

Even if Tanaka did contemplate something other than the PM's death, he's not articulate or quick-witted enough to come up with a proposal of his own given the amount of time they had in that situation.

It isn't just Tanaka with misgivings, both of the Ajin in overalls have already complained in a previous episode on the futility of the assassinations since the government wouldn't back down. What all of them have in common is a lack of proactive thinking and complete obedience to whatever Satou tells them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9