• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
March comes in like a lion (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 34

Ah, the worm is finally starting to turn in the Hina bullying arc. I have to say I don't have much sympathy for that useless female teacher. The idea that she was "powerless" to intervene in bullying incidents is pure bunk. Clearly, she has the kind of spinelessness that should have precluded her ever being a teacher in the first place. You have to be able to maintain order in your classroom, or you are useless. I like the jibe of the new guy, though. Doesn't look like he'll be steamrolled.

I was disappointed to see Akari being so useless. That dumb mother bitch was damn lucky that Grandpa wasn't around because he would have handed her her bony ass on a platter. Anyway, things are starting to look up. Maybe even some of the kids who have stayed silent out of fear might start finally speaking up.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Clearly, she has the kind of spinelessness that should have precluded her ever being a teacher in the first place. You have to be able to maintain order in your classroom, or you are useless.

In the good old days you could keep the brats in line with the trusty Board of Education but unfortunately these days there's not much you can do without risking a lawsuit.

Back when she was a young naive teacher I bet she'd have put in more effort. But after seeing the same shit happen again and again, with nothing she can do to put a real stop to it, she broke.

I'm not particularly sympathetic towards her, but her circumstances are understandable at least.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Oooooo, I think Vaisaga is in loooooooove. You want to kiiiiiiiiiiiss her... you want to maaarrrrrrrrry her...

Eh, don't mind me, I have a case of the Saturday night sillies. Wink
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I was disappointed to see Akari being so useless.

I'm not sure it's fair to call her "useless". I think it's good to remember that Akari is only 21 - she's practically still a kid herself. In the normal course of things, she shouldn't think about shit like having to battle with another kid's crappy parents. She clearly wants to do everything she can for Hina, but she's just not used to having to deal with this sort of dishonesty. As opposed to, say, the head teacher, who is clearly an old hand with this sort of crap.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I think it's totally fair to call her useless. Basically, all the other woman did is be mildly threatening and ask, "where's the proof my daughter stole the scroll" and Akari almost goes catatonic. Come on. I don't even think that reaction is consistent with the character we've seen so far. Sure, she's nice and friendly but I've never seen anything to suggest that something so minor would throw her for such a loop.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:43 pm Reply with quote
It's a bit more complicated than that. Akari promised her dead mother she'd take care of Hina so being unable to present the proof that was demanded hit her hard because she was failing to keep that promise.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:09 am Reply with quote
Looks like sensei had a mental breakdown, and revealed that she was all too aware of what was going on, but had no idea with how to handle it. And in came teacher, the head teacher, who seemed well able to sort through the situation, and has started to tackle it head on, now that is a good teacher. By the looks of the preview he is even taking of keeping a close eye on the bully girl, calling her in to find out why she is doing the things she is, solve that kid's problems. But he seems to be a great guy, able to turn the other parent's logic back on itself and has a sympathetic eye also for Akari.

Sure Akari pretty much went silent after the questions from the parent, you could say she was unable to do anything, but we were having very good examples of just how stressed the whole thing is. She keeps flashing back to her mother on her deathbed while not being able to meet unreasonable questions of a woman who clearly the type of monster parent that Akari was afraid of.

It was actually kind of interesting that the ones we got a big insight into the stress, this show's usual use of water as a medium was with the teacher and Akari.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:28 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
It's a bit more complicated than that. Akari promised her dead mother she'd take care of Hina so being unable to present the proof that was demanded hit her hard because she was failing to keep that promise.

Oh, I understand what the show was trying to convey, it simply didn't ring true to me. This is a woman who works part-time in her aunt's nightclub so she's probably dealt with sticky situations before. I just don't buy that the situation she was confronted with was sufficient to basically make her short out.

For example, I could have bought her getting flustered and being ineffective. But to be discombulated to the point where she almost faints seems like an over-reach to me.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:36 am Reply with quote
Can't really compare this to the night club. Not only is her aunt there to deal with any major trouble, the only one who'd be bothered is Akari. For an others first type of person like her she doesn't really care how inconvenienced she is. But when some one else is the target and she's unable to help, that's when it really gets her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
Sure, if you think her reaction is really credible and fits in with what we know of Akari, that's cool, but nothing will make me change my mind that it was kind of ridiculous. To me, this is a situation where the show wanted to have a certain thing happen: (i.e. Akari break down) but didn't really earn it. For me, the other woman would have had to be way more threatening to get that, "oh lawsy, I feel faint!" reaction.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Again, it's not that the other woman was particularly threatening, it's that Akari couldn't present the sort of definitive proof she was demanding, that she was failing to help Hina. "I have no proof so that means no one will believe Hina and she'll keep getting bullied and it's my job to stop it but I can't!" That sort of thing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga, you have a tremendously annoying habit of trying to get in the last word. In your last post you advanced no new argument whatsoever. You simply reiterated what you've already said. I'll distill it down for you: you feel Akari's physical breakdown was a perfectly natural result of her character and the situation. I disagree. In all your verbiage on this matter you have not moved the needle one iota with respect to my opinion on this and I really can't see what you could possibly write that would. The gracious thing now for you would be to recognize this fact and move onto another topic rather than just rehashing old points. I really hope you don't bother trying to stipulate that your last point wasn't in fact a rehash of what you've already said, but I have a feeling you will.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Your interpretation continues to be flawed in a few ways, so maybe I wasn't clear in my earlier explanations, necessitating me to present the same information in a new way that might be easier to understand.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
That's also what makes your posts irritating to me. You seem to think you are in possession of insight that I am not. You aren't. I am aware that in previous episodes it was established that Akari felt anxiety at the prospect of having to attend a parent-teacher meeting as Hina's guardian. I saw the dream she had about promising her mother that she would protect Hina and Momo and I was aware of her anxiety and lack of confidence that she could do this. I realize she probably didn't have a good night's sleep. I realize all of that and I still find her physical collapse kind of ridiculous. In fact, if that is the sort of response she has to the kind of stimulus she encountered at the school, I am genuinely concerned about her fitness to be a guardian to Hina and Momo. There is nothing wrong with my interpretation. I accept that others may feel differently than I do without assuming their interpretation is "flawed"... an attitude you are clearly unable to muster.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Your posts keep making factually inaccurate statements, hense my calling them flawed. "Physical collapse?" No such thing happened or was suggested was going to happen. Akari wasn't tottering or about to fall over, if anything she was probably just going to burst into tears before Hina stepped in. Saying that she found the other woman threatening is also factually inaccurate. She was standing up to the mother just fine until she was asked for proof she couldn't provide.

I can accept other people's feelings just fine, but when those feelings are the result of erroneous/misinterpreted information then I'll speak up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7