• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online Gets Live-Action American TV Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm a tv series will it could work but do people even watch tv anymore
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

Are you kidding? People watch TV out the wazoo these days to the point it's impossible to keep up with everything that's airing.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
My guess it will just take the base premise of the game (stuck in a VRMMO with real death) and the central romance of Kirito/Asuna (or whatever the characters will be called). I would expect many other changes though.
Funbroken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Boris Kodjoe as Agil...make it happen
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

Then why bother adapting the material at all, instead of making a new IP?

Name recognition. Pure and simple. SAO managed to break into the mainstream and a lot of people outside the typical anime fandom watched it. They using that name recognition to try to get people to watch it.
mierin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
What a news to wake up to. An interesting one, though.

I'd give it a chance if it ever goes from being in the writing board to actually being a full TV series. For all its shortcomings, I do enjoy SAO. I will agree the writing isn't going to win Kawahara literary prizes, but I find it entertaining. They could just cut out or rewrite some of the problematic part (some of you mentioned Fairy Dance). But it would be nice if they focused on the Aincrad arc for now and work on fleshing it out more.

Not sure about casting choice and how Americanized it will be. I am not American to begin with, but watch a shit ton of American TV shows. I think some part of me don't care about it that much. I'll watch either way.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I just can't freaking believe it. What is next? Fate/Zero by HBO?
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
On the bright side, how can they screw up something that's already so dreadfully awful?

I always thought the idea presented in SAO was a really good one with loads of potential, so if they're not shackled too much by the garbage source material, they might be able to turn out something good.

Prepare to be amazed on how bad they can screw this one up.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
And... this is outta left field.

I don't really know what to think. I love the series, but the anime sort of put it in a weird light.

Honestly, I think that's where all the (rather pointless) hate comes from, imo. Because if you read the light novels, you'll see that there is really a lot more going on with the story.

In fact, the two biggest negative complaints I read people saying about SAO is that it devolves into a harem anime and that it has a confusing amount of time-skipping. And that isn't actually a false statement. But it's really the anime that depicts it this way because it mixes in different side stories into it's chronology.

The LN's chronology, in anime episode terms, actually goes from episode 1, then immediately jumps to episode 8 and stays it's course from there (meaning no more gaping time-skips).

The episodes with Sachi, Lizbeth, Yui, etc are all side stories that are written after the first book. And while they are still part of the series, they aren't critical to the main plot.

When Laeta Kalogridis said she was inspired by it's masterful and inventive story telling, she is probably talking about the original books, which are actually pretty darn good. Mainly because they don't reek of generic anime harem... not to say the cast is any different... but you just see them in a different light is all.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Going back to cast picks, I would say most of the principal cast will be aged up to there early years of college, Yui would probably be aged up to be a young teenager in regards to appearance (and possibly one of the few of the cast to be played by an Asian actress).

Well whatever they decide to do I'm feeling certain that we won't get the 'Thumbelina' version of Yui. Only because knowing the nature of TV shows, even today when FX are cheaper, they'll want to keep costs low. So they'll likely have her full-sized walking around and maybe Cortana-her up a little.

Quote:
THAT said, a modified version of the Gun Gale arc might be a better pick for an American adaptation of the material (a guy who co-ordinates killing a person IRL while they die online is a pretty crazy set up in of itself), and as others have pointed out naming conventions in foreign versions don't always have to go hand in hand.

Well, given Game of Thrones popularity, I don't think swords/fantasy are out of the question. Though I wonder if they'll combine the worlds of SAO/FAiry/GunGale together from the start, so that it's all just one online virtual world and combine swords and guns from the start and just weave all the storylines together.

It would make sense given the premise as after a big catastrophe like being trapped in an online world I doubt the aftereffects would immediately allow people to go back. Better then to make the ending of the Original SAO the final season finale where everyone finally beats the final boss and exits.

relyat08 wrote:
Quote:
"for years... been inspired by the inventive and masterful storytelling of the SAO franchise."

And now my hope is gone. If the person writing this thinks the original is inventive or masterfully written in any way, I have no faith in their ability to adapt it.

To be fair, even if they didn't think so, they'd still say this anyway. It's a PR statement. PR gonna PR. Company says: Our products are always the best thing evar!

Lynx Amali wrote:
Then why bother adapting the material at all, instead of making a new IP?
Any sort of adaption of American SAO adaption will probably drop a lot of what makes SAO SAO, for better or worse. People complain about a lot about the Saban stuff (like the Digimon Adventure dubs) but the material, for the most part, is still intact.

This way they can completely copy the main premise and story and avoid potential lawsuits because 'similar material' might mean plagiarism. Also it comes with an install-base that's already a franchise abroad. So it makes sense from a lot of aspects.
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
It can't be worse than that adaptation of "The Elfstones of Shannara", by Terry Brooks...or CAN IT. *Que dramatic music*
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

Are you kidding? People watch TV out the wazoo these days to the point it's impossible to keep up with everything that's airing.

Think he means, will any channel air it (which they won't), or will it air on Netflix like every other indie producer, "Glitter Force" included?

jdnation wrote:
Well whatever they decide to do I'm feeling certain that we won't get the 'Thumbelina' version of Yui. Only because knowing the nature of TV shows, even today when FX are cheaper, they'll want to keep costs low. So they'll likely have her full-sized walking around and maybe Cortana-her up a little.

Likely. Oh, and the unwitting "romantic interest" between brother and adopted sister?...

Basically, this has the Dragonball:Evolution/ScarJo GITS smell of a producer trying to grab the only popular title of This New Anime Thing that mainstream pop culture has been throwing around, which is how we got the American Death Note movie, too--
And then, when Skydance saw the "easy" VR-game plot, and was told how "phenomenally popular" it was by the Japanese owners, thought he could make lightning strike his house.

(But trust a SAO thread to get five pages of responses in as many minutes...) Rolling Eyes
Remington Steele

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
This could work if they work with the source material. Being America and wanting to white wash everything and ignore the source, it will probably suck. I will be checking it out though.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest, I'm skeptical about a Live Action SAO TV series. Mainly because you need high levels of CGI for the environments, creatures, characters, and the special moves.

Then there is the story itself, I question they would be even be allowed to show powerful moments that was in the story, like spoiler[the sex scene between Kirito and Asuna], what happened to Asuna at the end of the ALO arc, or Shinon's life. spoiler[(Not due to the gun attack, but the fact she's living alone and almost was raped).] So makes me think the SAO we know, will be drastically altered for the sake of a Western TV audience, unless they move it to HBO and the cast are over 18.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Remington Steele wrote:
This could work if they work with the source material. Being America and wanting to white wash everything and ignore the source, it will probably suck. I will be checking it out though.

Given the story takes place in a fictional MMO world, there's nothing cast changes would alter. Especially given that even online games like Final Fantasy take on European aesthetics. I expect they'll have a varying racial cast. And Television doesn't heavily rely on casting to the same extent and more expensive Hollywood movies. So lesser known actors and actresses are more routine.

SWAnimefan wrote:
I'll be honest, I'm skeptical about a Live Action SAO TV series. Mainly because you need high levels of CGI for the environments, creatures, characters, and the special moves.

Yeah I'd worry about that too. TV budgets will not go for heavy CGI or environments. So I expect the setting and action to be toned down a lot. This will certainly not be the same SAO world. And I wouldn't put it past them to spend more time in the real world as well and write that into the show.

Quote:
Then there is the story itself, I question they would be even be allowed to show powerful moments that was in the story, like spoiler[the sex scene between Kirito and Asuna], what happened to Asuna at the end of the ALO arc, or Shinon's life. spoiler[(Not due to the gun attack, but the fact she's living alone and almost was raped).] So makes me think the SAO we know, will be drastically altered for the sake of a Western TV audience, unless they move it to HBO and the cast are over 18.

I don't think those plot points will be problems. This ain't 4Kids and Cartoon Network. TV shows tackle a lot of material like that. Having these plot points in was never a problem. Public broadcast only limits what you can explicitly portray visually on screen. But the subject matter itself is allowable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8