• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri!!! on Ice Anime's 1st BD Volume Ranks #2 on Overall Weekly BD Chart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Personally, I would say Madoka is aimed at magical girl fans if I was reccomending it to people.

And what would you say the gender breakdown of the "magical girl fanbase" is?

Stuart Smith wrote:
The first two didn't, which is why its up in the air for people. Osomatsu-san is an adaption of a popular shounen manga from the 1960s, though. The manga you linked to actually came after the anime and wasn't the basis for the show.

Osomatsu-SAN is not an adaptation. It's a sequel to a popular shounen series from the 60's called Osomatsu-KUN. Therefore, the only manga adaptation it has received runs in a women's manga magazine. The original was aimed at young boys, but that doesn't mean the sequel isn't aimed squarely at women. Hana Yori Dango's sequel runs in a shounen magazine, and it's one of the best-selling shoujo manga of all time.

Edit: Just checked, Shounen Jump+ is an online magazine, not that it really makes a difference.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
Personally, I would say Madoka is aimed at magical girl fans if I was reccomending it to people.

And what would you say the gender breakdown of the "magical girl fanbase" is?

I'm very curious about this myself. There was a lot of talk about it shifting very heavily toward the male audience in the mid to late 2000s, but I feel like we've seen a pretty significant swing back toward the female audience in the last half decade or so(as has honestly been the case with a lot of genres within the medium. The purchasing power of women is impressive!). I've been told Madoka is actually pretty popular with women, and know several who are huge fans of it as well, but have no idea what the demographic breakdown of it is. Just a blind guess, I'd say probably not that far from 50/50 or 60/40 guys/girls. With the overall market for magical girls probably being something like 40/60 guys/girls. Possibly much higher, but's hard to know how big the young girl audience of PreCure and Aikatsu is, since they aren't particularly active on social media, of course. lol. But anyway, not trying to make a statement about purchasing power or discredit anyone, as I've said before, I just find the numbers interesting, and these are just my impressions based on the numbers and fandom breakdown that I've come across.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

It's a good question, but demograph labels aren't that in depth. Shounen, shoujo, and their older varients simply just mean they're aimed at boys and girls. There's no underlying qualification like shoujo requiring it not be popular with guys or anything. As far as shoujo/josei sports go, they exist. Chihayafuru is one of the more popular ones, but the thing is fujoshi are different from normal women. Chihayafuru wouldn't appeal to them because of the presence of a main female lead. Fujoshi specifically want guy characters for BL undertones. Since shounen manga usually has mostly male characters, it's a natural attraction.

Why arent series in the vein of Haikyuu and Kuroko in shoujo magazines? They probably wouldn't sell that well. Goes back to the whole normal girl VS fujoshi thing. Most little girls aren't into that stuff, they are into romance and drama, not hot blooded sports.

-Stuart Smith

Really??? Girls aren't into sports? Rolling Eyes No, the answer is that those girls buy shonen magazines because that is where the sports/adventure manga tend to be, not that they don't like sports/adventure stories. Editors put them in the shonen magazine knowing that females are much more likely to buy a shonen magazine versus the other way around. There may be no official demographic breakdown how I stated it but that is the trend that I've noticed over the years.

I didn't say that sports manga is female-oriented magazines didn't exist. Chihayfuru is a good example of one that is actually in a josei magazine. I'm saying that if the magazines weren't incredibly sexist in placing whatever might appeal to males in a shonen magazine, there would be many more sports/adventure series in shojo/josei magazines. But as it is, saying that everything in a shonen magazine is aimed 100% at males is not true. They know they have a large female audience and they try hard to appeal to it.

You do realize that fujoshi aren't some wierd alien species, right? They can have interests outside the malexmale shipping. They can like Chihayafuru as much as they like Haikyu. Also, not every female that likes seeing pretty male characters is a fujoshi.

I really hope that Yuri on Ice starts changing some of what we see coming out of the anime/manga industry. Maybe we will see more sports run in shojo/josei magazines. To have more sports shows/manga like Yuri on Ice that have a good romance while doing justice to the actual sport and don't diminish the females side characters into tropes that can only support the male characters.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching this this week. Though it was pretty good show but nothing really special. I mean it's cool that animation is becoming more diverse with serious gay sports anime now in existence but individually it's a pretty good but not great show IMO. Still I was really impressed by some elements of it (essentially the animation for the choreography) hope it sells well because it was better than Osomatsu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
While I dropped that series upon hearing about the kid, congrats to YOI for having such a success. I wish "91 Days" had this much success.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote
^ Heard what about what kid? oO
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:01 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm very curious about this myself. There was a lot of talk about it shifting very heavily toward the male audience in the mid to late 2000s, but I feel like we've seen a pretty significant swing back toward the female audience in the last half decade or so(as has honestly been the case with a lot of genres within the medium. The purchasing power of women is impressive!). I've been told Madoka is actually pretty popular with women, and know several who are huge fans of it as well, but have no idea what the demographic breakdown of it is. Just a blind guess, I'd say probably not that far from 50/50 or 60/40 guys/girls. With the overall market for magical girls probably being something like 40/60 guys/girls. Possibly much higher, but's hard to know how big the young girl audience of PreCure and Aikatsu is, since they aren't particularly active on social media, of course. lol. But anyway, not trying to make a statement about purchasing power or discredit anyone, as I've said before, I just find the numbers interesting, and these are just my impressions based on the numbers and fandom breakdown that I've come across.

Madoka's manga ran under a seinen imprint if it matters.

Kiddy magical girl stuff is aimed undoubtedly for girls, but the darker/adult stuff is for otaku.

Please don't use social media to judge something. Most people don't use it and those that do tend to echo chamber horribly.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:13 am Reply with quote
Ah, see? Madoka is definitely for otaku but we have absolutely no way of knowing if Yuri on Ice was aimed at women and in fact it was most likely aimed at and bought by men. Any statistics you might provide to show otherwise (like, say the Niconico Anime of the Year poll that had 300k+ voters and had Yuri on Ice top the women's list while not even appearing on the men's top ten) are meaningless
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:47 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Ah, see? Madoka is definitely for otaku but we have absolutely no way of knowing if Yuri on Ice was aimed at women and in fact it was most likely aimed at and bought by men. Any statistics you might provide to show otherwise (like, say the Niconico Anime of the Year poll that had 300k+ voters and had Yuri on Ice top the women's list while not even appearing on the men's top ten) are meaningless

Jojo is clearly the best show aimed at women out of all of them.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:59 am Reply with quote
I wrote:
it was most likely aimed at and bought by men

>Poll showing YOI was most popular show with women
>Poll showing YOI was not really popular with men

Conclusion: Poll is meant to prove whom the show is aimed at????

That's an impressive way of missing the point, mate.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:

Please don't use social media to judge something. Most people don't use it and those that do tend to echo chamber horribly.

It's just but one valuable way to gauge an audience and market. Nothing more, nothing less. Ignoring it entirely would be asinine.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to read 5 pages of bickering, but did they release a gender breakdown of the sales yet? Seems like that'd be easy enough to solve the argument.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I don't want to read 5 pages of bickering, but did they release a gender breakdown of the sales yet? Seems like that'd be easy enough to solve the argument.

I don't think they ever do that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5