• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Rising of The Shield Hero

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
NPC wrote:
Key wrote:
Ugh, are we going to continue dragging this point out from the PG thread?
I have no idea what you are talking about. What's PG?

Theron is referencing the preview guide (PG) thread. Where many of the arguments starting in here were already discussed there ad nauseam.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Going by this pace the good episode will be episode 4-5.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
So spoiler free does Naofumi continue along the path of ostracised cruelty or does he show signs of humanity and caring to his path? I just want to know because I prefer anti heros more of the Lelouch or Scar variety that show their own morals twisted as they are. As opposed to series like Tanya of the evil and goblin slayer which embrace the bad of their main characters.

He changes. I'm guessing it's going to become more apparent in a few weeks/episodes.

@Ashabel
I 'm actually a little worried they're going to leave that out entirely, although I suppose it could be a midseason finale reveal.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
I can't believe Naofumi never ask for a witness, the Blacksmith saw him buy and leave the shop with the armor on. Her accusation would fall apart if he brings it up or it would bring doubt and the other heroes would question her claims. The show wants me to have sympathy for him, but it doesn't put in the leg work. Why I should care about a person who could have won if they were thinking.

In case you didn't notice the prosecution and the judge were the very same person, the king, and the "police" were the ones that planted the evidence, it isn't that he didn't try to fight, he realized he was already doomed. after realizing that it was the king's knight that planted the evidence why would he think there is a chance for him to present his case, why would he think he would be allowed to bring his own witnesses?

Quote:
The everyone against him doesn't work, episode 2 him and his slave got good food. No one, walk up to them and tell him to take his slave outside or she can't eat on the table. Also, why no one calls the guards on him when he uses those monsters against people?

well firstly because he only used his monsters on thugs and other shady characters, I think you would understand why those wouldn't want to go to the police themselves. then he is given the food for once because he could pay (that wasn't exactly a fancy restaurant in order for them to afford losing business) and for seconds because as far as they know he is supposed to be super strong (a summoned hero) even if he was sent to jail after the deed why would the guy risk getting into a fight with him?

I notice that doesn't stop him from trying, as I said before, I wanted them to be more vicious with framing him. Or put him into a Hannibal Lecter mask and don't let him talk. I see a lot unfair courtroom scenes all handle it better than Shield Hero. If they would have pull it off, then I would have a different opinion on Shield Hero as a whole
Were that shop and Inn shady? Shady or not I pretty sure they can call the guards over and have him kick out of there business or cause him to be in debt, also if they were afraid they would have given him free stuff, to begin with, and the food look fancy (for being cheap) and they probably would lose more business for having a shady guy and a slave there. If the show wants to care for him, it needed to be more vicious.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
I don't see the appeal of Shield Hero at all, the rape accusation is very contrivance. That scene took me out of the story and just make me hate Naofumi. I can't believe Naofumi never ask for a witness, the Blacksmith saw him buy and leave the shop with the armor on. Her accusation would fall apart if he brings it up or it would bring doubt and the other heroes would question her claims. The show wants me to have sympathy for him, but it doesn't put in the leg work. Why I should care about a person who could have won if they were thinking. If Naofumi was asking for witness and the lady was countering him by replacing them with her people and make Naofumi look like a lier to everyone then I would like Shield Hero more.

The everyone against him doesn't work, episode 2 him and his slave got good food. No one, walk up to them and tell him to take his slave outside or she can't eat on the table. Also, why no one calls the guards on him when he uses those monsters against people?
I can look over plot contrivance if the characters are good. Naofumi isn't good, the only way he works if I related to him. Him being a "nice" otaku doesn't work on me. Anyway, I probably give it a couple of episodes to see the good part people been telling me about it. But I highly doubt it will turn my opinion around

Episode 1.
the accusation is about rape, there is something wrong with you for asking a witness for that. The blacksmith cannot testify for what happened at the inn where he does not even live there. The chainmail can be debated but the main point of the accusation is the rape one and don't forget the fake evidence thing. Lastly take into account the shock factor, it is easy to say a person is stupid when he is not in a calm state of mind.

Episode 2.
If you see a person who used to be a criminal in the neighborhood will you ostracize them? If you see a well known gangster/yakuza walked in into a restaurant just to eat will you bother them? especially when they pay fairly? You should ask why the guards even let him into the city without checking his belonging instead.
Point of episode 2 is that not all people are bad people, but their first impression to the shield hero are the worst.

Last edited by #891509 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
S0crates

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
So spoiler free does Naofumi continue along the path of ostracised cruelty or does he show signs of humanity and caring to his path? I just want to know because I prefer anti heros more of the Lelouch or Scar variety that show their own morals twisted as they are. As opposed to series like Tanya of the evil and goblin slayer which embrace the bad of their main characters.

"Naofumi continue along the path of ostracized cruelty"... Uhm, he hasn't done anything "cruel" yet? Worst thing he has done is shoving some balloon mobs into some vendor's face and being harsh towards a world that is harsh (to him). He clearly shows compassion towards the raccoon girl.

You should probably watch further into both Tanya and Goblin Slayer. Goblin Slayer gets restricted by his party members and slowly becomes "more normal/rehabilitated" (especially by the priestess), thus the rules of "No fire, poison, etc".

Tanya is a bit more complex, she (he) is just trying to survive and live an easy life, and is constantly put into bad positions she never asked for (thus has a bad relationship with "God" as she felt she did and has done everything in her power to prevent such situations). If anything she gets calmer and more controlled as she gets higher up into the hierarchy, as she accidentally gets promoted (again, she just wants to leave a calm life, but destiny will have none of it). People just call her Loli Hitler because of her at times crazy smiles and how she doesn't hesitate to make a "lesser evil decision" (that would still be difficult to make, as it would have victims and consequences), but her overall attitude is probably closer to that of Erwin "Desert Fox" Rommel (who was later forced to commit suicide because of his involvement in trying to assassinate Hitler). The ending of season 1 even had her at the "African Front" as Field Marshal, which was Rommel's most famous campaign. In short she's a survivor, but she is not the commanding officer of the "Empire" forces that is making the shots (at least not yet).

The real "embrace of villain" is probably our dear leader in Overlord, though even there it's more that you don't know wtf he's doing at times.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Any fight in the Inn or at the Merchant's stall, would entail damages to the premises. Damages that the Inn Keeper, and that Merchant would have to pay from their own pocket.

Not to mention also, the fear of death. Who cares if the guards are on the way, if you are dead.

It is quite reasonable for the common people to fear the city guard, tax collectors, and criminals for a variety of reasons. Graft, corruption, and extortion are common themes.

You can bet, if a Noble brought in a demi-human, they would be well served too, without complaint.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:14 pm Reply with quote
he didn't pull out the balloons at neither the inn nor the restaurant. Imagine this Rabbit, if a potentially dangerous person went to your shop and just ask for a meal, does it seems wise to you to risk escalating the situation? the inn keeper or waiter might be convinced they are in the right but they realize being in the rise is not going to protect them from potentially getting a punch to the face (or worse), the safest route is to give the dude his service so he leaves as fast as possible. weather he gets arrested or not won't heal them their injuries.

Quote:
I wanted them to be more vicious with framing him. Or put him into a Hannibal Lecter mask and don't let him talk.

come on that would actually be screaming to everyone in the room that they are in fact framing him, I agree that they could have done better but your examples is actually going in the opposite direction.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

He changes. I'm guessing it's going to become more apparent in a few weeks/episodes.

@Ashabel
I 'm actually a little worried they're going to leave that out entirely, although I suppose it could be a midseason finale reveal.

The fact that the heroes come from different japans, and the series means, very different japans keeps on returning prety often in the webnovel; it would not surprise me if they bring that back this season, there are a lot of chances, particularly in the island arc.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:

You have some very strange ideas of what counts for a morally twisted character.

Lelouch spoiler[literally isolates himself from as many people who love him as possible and ultimately gets himself killed because he believes he should be punished for every bad thing he committed on his way to ending the war, regardless of his ultimate intentions. He even lampshades it as early as the first half of the first season. "There is no place for warmongers like me in a world I'm trying to create." If anything, his personal ethics are very clear-cut to the bitter end.]

Tanya's entire point is that she is an extreme pragmatist who is toyed with by an immature and self-centered god who is upset by her refusal to worship him just for the sake of worshiping him. The extremes of her personality come primarily from her dislike of inefficiency, and the series does condemn them. But no, it doesn't really "embrace" or even portray her as strictly evil; it uses her opinions to create social commentary by contrasting them with those of everyone else.

And Goblin Slayer is just a regular twenty-year old assault survivor with PTSD.

Last edited by Ashabel on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel please spoiler tag that, it might have been 10 years but come on spoiling code geass ending is kind of wow. it just got into netflix not so long ago even
Ashabel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:45 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Ashabel please spoiler tag that, it might have been 10 years but come on spoiling code geass ending is kind of wow. it just got into netflix not so long ago even

I would argue that at this point calling the Code Geass ending a spoiler is kind of like claiming that Bruce Wayne is Batman is a spoiler, but sure thing. I added a spoiler tag.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
MiloTheFirst wrote:

I would argue that at this point calling the Code Geass ending a spoiler is kind of like claiming that Bruce Wayne is Batman is a spoiler, but sure thing. I added a spoiler tag.

Have to agree, Code Geass is old. The time for spoiler tags is over. Otherwise we might as well put spoiler tags on the original Star Wars and Terminator movies.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:06 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Have to agree, Code Geass is old. The time for spoiler tags is over. Otherwise we might as well put spoiler tags on the original Star Wars and Terminator movies.

Age doesn't matter. If it's not the official series discussion thread in the Anime section, or an episode review thread that's past that point, you still use spoiler tags. Now let's get back on topic please.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
#891509 wrote:
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
I don't see the appeal of Shield Hero at all, the rape accusation is very contrivance. That scene took me out of the story and just make me hate Naofumi. I can't believe Naofumi never ask for a witness, the Blacksmith saw him buy and leave the shop with the armor on. Her accusation would fall apart if he brings it up or it would bring doubt and the other heroes would question her claims. The show wants me to have sympathy for him, but it doesn't put in the leg work. Why I should care about a person who could have won if they were thinking. If Naofumi was asking for witness and the lady was countering him by replacing them with her people and make Naofumi look like a lier to everyone then I would like Shield Hero more.

I can look over plot contrivance if the characters are good. Naofumi isn't good, the only way he works if I related to him. Him being a "nice" otaku doesn't work on me. Anyway, I probably give it a couple of episodes to see the good part people been telling me about it. But I highly doubt it will turn my opinion around

Episode 1.
the accusation is about rape, there is something wrong with you for asking a witness for that. The blacksmith cannot testify for what happened at the inn where he does not even live there. The chainmail can be debated but the main point of the accusation is the rape one and don't forget the fake evidence thing. Lastly take into account the shock factor, it is easy to say a person is stupid when he is not in a calm state of mind.

Episode 2.
If you see a person who used to be a criminal in the neighborhood will you ostracize them? If you see a well known gangster/yakuza walked in into a restaurant just to eat will you bother them? especially when they pay fairly? You should ask why the guards even let him into the city without checking his belonging instead.
Point of episode 2 is that not all people are bad people, but their first impression to the shield hero are the worst.

Nothing is wrong about that, Naofumi notices spear dude wearing his armor and she told him she bought for him. Like I said before her case can be easily taken apart. I just use the blacksmith as an example (since I would have said that if I was in his shoes). Since he doesn't know about this world, he can ask for a wizard to use truth magic on him or ask for the barter or the people at the inn/bar to prove himself. He notices the armor, I doubt he was in that much of a shock
Yes, I would ostracize them if I run a business and his presence would cause my customers to feel uncomfortable. And that would add to his bitterness with everyone.
I saw a lot of show that has ostracize main characters and this is one look tame. I wish I can explain it better, but I not good at explaining things well online. Can we agree to disagree? I don't want this to full the episode feedback, I kind of wanted to say my piece and move on to something else. Who knows, I might like the next three episodes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 36