• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Babylon Has a Whore Complex

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
I would agree with this but in ep 3 we saw warp her face in real time. At time I just though it was for directional flair

That's exactly what it was. That the killings are real and as yet unexplained doesn't make her transformations supernatural. In that scene she didn't instantly change clothes and hair three times. That was Zen superimposing her previous looks and murders onto the woman with purple hair and dark clothes standing before him.

To be honest, I chalked the warping up to bad animation as she turned her head toward him, since they've had similar clunky transitions in people's profiles elsewhere in the series. Like someone messed up the inbetweens from side profile to 3/4 profile to frontal view. Smile If it's a deliberate artistic choice, it's not been done very well.
piotrus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:45 am Reply with quote
This show seems like a cluster-you-know-what (I haven't seen it) but I thought KADO was a pretty solid show (with some plot twists). Certainly didn't pick up any 'all evil is women' vibes from it.

Just saying that anyone who things this show is garbage shouldn't automatically dismiss KADO.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
I thought this show was having a genre shift, but I guess it never did. I enjoyed three eps, weird cuts and all, thinking it was a cop show, maybe starting to delve into magical realism. And it never was; those three eps were just setup for the horror, to make the impact of the horror that much stronger.

This basically sums it up for me. I feel foolish letting my hunger for answers keep me watching for so long after episode 3 but, boy, did episode 7 kill my f***ing appetite. I’m so done with this show. Not what I signed up for AT ALL.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
I find the characters to be interesting, and don't get the impression at all that it's anything against women. Both women and men are the victims of Magase Ai.

I didn't either, but there's people out there who think if the villain is a woman, it's a statement against all women.

I think you're simply not familiar with the Biblical passages about the Whore of Babylon, the thematic inspiration for this series. Hell, it's in the bloody name of the show. Which I should add, was also in part, a metaphor for the city of Babylon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5