• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Devil is a Part-Timer! Anime Gets 2nd Season With Returning Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger Pepitone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:46 am Reply with quote
Will it have the same director as season 1? I heard he was a Maou-Chiho shipper, and made some changes to make that relationship look better and Maou-Emilia look worse. So an spoiler[anime-original ending for Emilia] is unlikely.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:07 am Reply with quote
Roger Pepitone wrote:
Will it have the same director as season 1? I heard he was a Maou-Chiho shipper, and made some changes to make that relationship look better and Maou-Emilia look worse. So an spoiler[anime-original ending for Emilia] is unlikely.

Yeah especially what with the LN's ending...
Spooky Blades

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:26 am Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Best news! Didn't expect this, though it still won't be enough to cover the later parts where action shifts largely to spoiler[Ente Isla] unless they rush it.

Also, Chiho best girl! Smile spoiler[Congratulations on winning your man!] (ending spoiler)

spoiler[I'm still shook I was expecting Emilia to to get the man since she was the main love interest. Chiho is best girl I love her so much I wonder if they will animate the rest of the LN?

Haters gonna hate though I will drink those salty tears.
]

This is a pleasant surprise though since its been years I'm totally watching this its one of my favorite anime! I only read the first couple chapters of volume 4 so I know how the anime will start out. Now the only thing is if its one or two cour.

I know this isn't a Kadokawa anime, but if Part-Timer is getting a second season after all these years why can't Magi A-1 Pictures? Come on my favorite arcs and moments are all there waiting to be animated.
spoiler[Its true that Chiho wins but she also gave the oke to Emilia to go after Maou][/spoiler]
Spooky Blades

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:27 am Reply with quote
Lets goooo!
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:42 am Reply with quote
The first season of the anime was one of my great disappointments - it started out so strong, so good, only to gradually leave behind the original concept that made the whole thing interesting in the first place, in favor of a turn toward a generic harem fantasy/adventure. (Even the characters turned more and more generic.) I suppose the rest of the story is more of the same, so I'm not getting my hopes up, but I guess I'll check out the first episode.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the timing on this new season wasn't the greatest, considering the light novel's ending soured a lot of people on the entire franchise, including myself. If this new season had come out a year ago I would've been jumping up and down with joy. Now, I'm not even sure I'll bother checking it out.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't agree with the sentiment that the bad ending of the LN's should ruin the excitement because the new anime season is most likely not going to adapt the whole story. I will be satisfied if the new anime season is charming, entertaining, competently animated and ends at a good stopping point.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
As thrilled as I am that this is finally getting a second season, I'm just not loving the new art style. The faces feel like they've lost something. They also feel... smaller? Cuter?

Their noses, that's what they've lost. Laughing

This style has the most non-existent noses for some reason. And their faces look flatter, less dimensional, in general.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:49 pm Reply with quote
You know what's better than great news? Unexpected great news. Just goes to show that even when there's been a ridiculous time gap, it doesn't mean a second season of a title won't happen. Dare I dream of a continuation for Shigurui Death Frenzy???
PonSquared

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:50 pm Reply with quote
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

About a month ago I watched this for the second time while showing it to my wife and kids. I kept saying how badly I wanted a 2nd season of DiaPT but with it airing in 2013 that it looks like it would never happen.

And then, THIS!

Thank you SO MUCH whoever decided to give this a second season. This show is so wonderful and makes me laugh and smile and get the warm fuzzies.

Thank you thank you thank you!
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
With all the hate about that LN ending, I'm morbidly curious about what happened. Shipping wars aside.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:24 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
With all the hate about that LN ending, I'm morbidly curious about what happened. Shipping wars aside.

The shipping wars is one of (if not) the main reasons
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:31 am Reply with quote
Shipping wars is part of it, but it wouldn't really be an issue if the ending made sense in context. This, u,timately, is one of those series where a secondary/periphery character ends up "winning" because, it seems, the author would rather be subversive than deliver on the relationships that had been built up from day 1.

So: spoiler[ I don't have any inherent issue with Chiho "winning," but it just doesn't make sense in the context of the story, where she's a peripheral character with very little development (she's introduced as the normal girl infatuated with Maou, and there her characterization begins and ends) and the vast and overwhelming majority of character and relationship development occurs with Emi. A Chiho end could have worked well if it were built up more, and the Emi/Maou dynamic given more of a sibling dynamic... but that's simply not how the story was told.]

Finny-chan wrote:
Fluwm wrote:

Ahahaha... pretty unpleasant for me. Think y'all just killed my interest in the series, given spoiler[Emilia gets so, so much more development, focus and ship tease than anyone else.]

spoiler[There is a chance they will go an anime original ending since a lot of people were disappointed with the ending of the LN and they will use it to boost sales I would be disappointed, but I would understand if they did go that route to appease the fanbase as us Maou x Chiho fans are just a small minority compared to the Maou x Emi fanbase. So if that happens both sides can be happy as both pairing will be technically canon!]

Then again they might not never animate that far though we will just have to see what they do from here on out since the first season only cover the first 3 volumes and we have I think 22?

It's possible the anime might go in a different direction, but I don't think that's very likely. Anime-original endings and story arcs are nowhere near so prevalent now as they used to be--and considering the huge amount of material left to cover, this won't really be relevant unless the show gets a 5th or 6th season.

I guess I really ought to have learned my lesson before now: never get suckered into a RomCom until you know whether or not it sticks the landing! Because so few do, and so many just fall apart at the end. Now I'm stuck looking at my bookshelf and realizing I wasted more than $100 on this series....
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:47 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Shipping wars is part of it, but it wouldn't really be an issue if the ending made sense in context. This, u,timately, is one of those series where a secondary/periphery character ends up "winning" because, it seems, the author would rather be subversive than deliver on the relationships that had been built up from day 1.

So: spoiler[ I don't have any inherent issue with Chiho "winning," but it just doesn't make sense in the context of the story, where she's a peripheral character with very little development (she's introduced as the normal girl infatuated with Maou, and there her characterization begins and ends) and the vast and overwhelming majority of character and relationship development occurs with Emi. A Chiho end could have worked well if it were built up more, and the Emi/Maou dynamic given more of a sibling dynamic... but that's simply not how the story was told.]

Finny-chan wrote:
Fluwm wrote:

Ahahaha... pretty unpleasant for me. Think y'all just killed my interest in the series, given spoiler[Emilia gets so, so much more development, focus and ship tease than anyone else.]

spoiler[There is a chance they will go an anime original ending since a lot of people were disappointed with the ending of the LN and they will use it to boost sales I would be disappointed, but I would understand if they did go that route to appease the fanbase as us Maou x Chiho fans are just a small minority compared to the Maou x Emi fanbase. So if that happens both sides can be happy as both pairing will be technically canon!]

Then again they might not never animate that far though we will just have to see what they do from here on out since the first season only cover the first 3 volumes and we have I think 22?

It's possible the anime might go in a different direction, but I don't think that's very likely. Anime-original endings and story arcs are nowhere near so prevalent now as they used to be--and considering the huge amount of material left to cover, this won't really be relevant unless the show gets a 5th or 6th season.

I guess I really ought to have learned my lesson before now: never get suckered into a RomCom until you know whether or not it sticks the landing! Because so few do, and so many just fall apart at the end. Now I'm stuck looking at my bookshelf and realizing I wasted more than $100 on this series....

Doesnt help that the director supported spoiler[Maou x Chiho to the point of making Emi unlikeable]
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:50 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

Exactly. The ending comes out of nowhere, throwing out most of the character development and making a lot of the story pretty pointless. There are other issues too, but it's the fact that the entire story goes one way and then does a 180 at the last moment that makes it garbage. It makes no sense whatsoever from a storytelling standpoint.

Of course, because it involves spoiler[who Maou hooks up with], there are some people who haven't read most of the series who seem to thinking that it's simply folks getting mad about spoiler[their preferred ship not being what happens in the end], but really, the core problem is that the ending flies in the face of most of the series and makes a lot of it pointless. The story as a whole needed to be very different to end the way that it did and have it actually work.

And of course, it doesn't help that there are number of other issues that ticked people off (like spoiler[Maou becoming human at the end]) as well as some plot holes when you actually look at the details of exactly how things ended. So, all in all, the reaction from most fans seems to be pretty negative. And I expect that a large percentage of the fans who have been reading the series in English but avoided spoilers will be ticked when they finally get to the last book when it comes out in English (probably this December). I fully expect that there are fans who are aware of the ending who have continued to read the series anyway, but in most cases, from what I've seen, when someone finds out the details of what happened, they're glad that they found out, and they drop the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6