• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Animator Ippei Ichii Says Netflix Anime Produced at MAPPA Paid Bottom Rates (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:46 pm Reply with quote
There's always organizing. Disney's animators walked out for five weeks in 1941.Walt fired a bunch of them but eventually ended up signing a contract with the Screen Cartoonists Guild.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_animators%27_strike

Organization is much more difficult when a good portion of the staff are free-lancers.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:05 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Organization is much more difficult when a good portion of the staff are free-lancers.

It's not just organizing, it's price negotiation as well. With freelancers there's always going to be people willing to work for peanuts, for one reason or another. Always. So if you get together with a bunch of other freelancers and say "OK this is our minimum rate" you have to offer something really valuable so that the client won't just say "sure, but you know, Tanaka, Honda and Suzuki will do it for less, so we could just go to them instead... what was your price again?"
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:

They produce animation for all the world at this point, look at the the Demon Slayer movie, "Mugen Train", it made more than $100 millions outside Japan. One Piece sells millions of copies every year in France, Italy and probably other european countries (I haven't any data for the US), the problem is not all series are successful like "My Hero Academia" or "One Punch Man" or whatever is successful in your contry nowadays. Also many animated series in Japan are produced only (or mostly) to push manga sales, and usually got only one season (2 if they prove popular like for example "Kobayashi san's dragon maid"), manga that often are not even sold outside Japan (Ushio to Tora and Karakuri Circus for example). In various cases it helps a lot with manga sales, like in "The promised Neverland"'s case, and sometimes people buy also the dvds/blurays if the series is good (although the second season of "The promised neverland" was so bad that the sales of blurays dropped to basically to zero!)

Yeah, but you don't see any American or western company or animator to crapping the same amount of animated features Japan does everyday, especially when it comes to niche, or even controversial themes.

This is one of the reasons you wouldn't see animated adaptations of niche stuff, like "Preacher", "Sabrina Online", "Albedo: Erma Felna EDF" or even more controversial (for Americans) stuff like "Shanda the Panda" or "Katmandu": The former of the last two deals with ethnic stereotypes about Chinese people, and the latter features Native American-like alien cats, and that wouldn't fly with any American animation company nowadays.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5