• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
palom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:09 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

I think they're suggesting the possibility that Kobayashi was fully changed into a biological male, not just in regards to her genitals, but her whole body. Which, frankly, is something I'd want to know as well (because I haven't watched it lmao) . Is it a full gender-bender situation, or is she literally just getting a dick attached to her otherwise entirely female body?

That's the point of the joke, Kobayashi becomes BIOLOGICAL a male, but since she have an androgynous look, her body looks the same don't matter her transformation. It's a complete genderbender, it have NOTHING to do with trans people. Just a classic genderbender joke trying to hide what happened to her.
Tomokocchi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:17 am Reply with quote
Some people are really taking this review as a personal attack and that just seems silly. And I say this as someone who loves Dragon Maid--and it's clear from the review that this person likes Dragon Maid too. They just don't like everything about it. It's entirely possible to criticize elements of media and still enjoy them. Even if I don't agree with everything in this review. Like I said, I love Dragon Maid but, yes, there are less than savory elements about it I could do without.

I am sad seeing some people just refer to Dragon Maid as "a fanservice show" and that if you don't like fanservice you shouldn't watch it. Saying Dragon Maid is just "a fanservice show" is doing it a great disservice to the heart it has and the strength of its writing and characters.
MetaSoshi9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:31 am Reply with quote
"Ilulu is the newest dragon to join the cast and she looks to be approximately 4'11 with comically large breasts."

I don't fully understand the issue people have with Ilulu. She is canonically around the same age as Tohru as Tohru mentions in ep 2, so she isn't a child like Kanna. She doesn't have large breasts just to have large breasts, she can't fully control herself and that carries through into her human form of her body. Hence why she couldn't procure proper human hands as well.

"There's no character development or insight garnered by Kobayashi and her feelings toward Tohru"

On the contrary, Kobayashi turning into a man made her more aware of the amount of skinship she was giving to Tohru and how it was actually quite a lot. As a woman, she thought it was simply natural to be so physically affectionate, but as a man she realized the romantic implications to it. I think you can consider this yet another step towards Kobayashi realizing deeper feelings for Tohru.

In an interview with Ishihara and character designer Kadowaki Ishihara mentions how this season will have a focus on Kobayashi reciprocating Tohru's affection more, and I think we are already seeing steps towards that, especially in ep 3 during the maid outfit scene.

"We don't even get an answer to the first episode's most burning question: Why was Fafnir banned from his fav MMO!? "

Pretty sure others already answered this, but it's implied based on what we already know of Fafnir - that being he plays this game a lot. So much so it was assumed he must've been cheating in some way to be playing so much, such as using a bot or sharing his account with someone else.

"For the mainstream audience, or anyone otherwise not interested in fanservice that involves creeping on kid characters, a show like Dragon Maid can be frustrating."

This line just doesn't make much sense to me and I think the rating difference between community giving 4.5 and you a 2.5 shows this. The "mainstream audience" isn't really as bothered by these things as you might think.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote
palom wrote:

That's the point of the joke, Kobayashi becomes BIOLOGICAL a male, but since she have an androgynous look, her body looks the same don't matter her transformation. It's a complete genderbender, it have NOTHING to do with trans people. Just a classic genderbender joke trying to hide what happened to her.

As has already been pointed out several times, even if that is the case it’s still a joke that sucks for trans people, and honestly cis people as well. It’s kind of amazing how many people are taking umbrage that a “Classic genderbending joke” got called gender essentialist when that’s the entire premise of It. That’s not a defense of it. That’s why it sucks. It’s a shitty gag that relies on penis = man = uncontrollably horny. It’s an outdated view that misaligns all kinds of people, and doesn’t add anything positive to the characterization in the show on top of that.
palom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:

As has already been pointed out several times, even if that is the case it’s still a joke that sucks for trans people, and honestly cis people as well. It’s kind of amazing how many people are taking umbrage that a “Classic genderbending joke” got called gender essentialist when that’s the entire premise of It. That’s not a defense of it. That’s why it sucks. It’s a shitty gag that relies on penis = man = uncontrollably horny. It’s an outdated view that misaligns all kinds of people, and doesn’t add anything positive to the characterization in the show on top of that.

I guess you would avoid shows like Ranma 1/2 then, because this is just a classic genderbender jokes. The plot twist is that usually the boy/girl turned into the opposite gender tends to hide their identity tricking the rest that he/she is another person, while Kobayashi can't do it since she looks the same not matter the body change.

As I said, a male body have biologically a higher sex drive due the tetosterone and the issue that they can't hide their erections once it appears. There's nothing wrong about that, it's just biology. Kobayashi was trying to hide what happened to her in order to avoid Thooru trying to take advantage of her male libido, and she was right since once Tooru realized about that she drugs Kobayashi with a love potion.
cosmo321

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
It’s a shitty gag that relies on penis = man = uncontrollably horny.
It was clearly more nuanced than that. Several people in the thread have pointed that out in various ways. It wasn't solely Kobayashi being horny for a big part of the episode, but also that she didn't want to be found out, and realizing how much skinship she actually had with her "familiy" when she was turned into a man.

There's a lot of things one could latch on to about Maid Dragon as a show that can be questionable in one way or another, but it's also kinda weird to add intent that wasn't really there to begin with.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:42 pm Reply with quote
It's rare that I step in to comment on criticism of our articles, but sometimes these criticisms completely misunderstand the policies of ANN, and this is one of those cases.

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
When MAPPA abuses their employees, their works are praised by your writers. When Uzumaid or some other vile show comes around you guys will just get that Theron Martin guy to give a gentle weekly analysis of the pedo characters adventures around small children. But a studio emerges from the worst massacre in post war Japanese history while still maintaining a healthy work environment, that's when you guys decide we need a reviewer that's gonna put the show in its place?

Several people have already said it, but I want to emphasize, we review each show based on the merits of the show, not the studio behind it. We've criticized shows made by studios we love, and we've praised shows by studios we don't like. I lost a personal friend in that tragedy; I would not allow my publication to unfairly disrespect them, any of the other victims, or any of the survivors. Most of us really like KyoAni and are incredibly happy to see them put out their first show since the tragedy. But we're going to treat it fairly in our reviews.

Theron wrote:
Whether Lynzee now or Zac and Jacob in the past, ANN's editors have never, ever given directives to reviewers about how episode or full reviews should be done, especially what topics should or shouldn't be focused on. That's all on the individual reviewers.
Thank you Theron. I appreciate someone who is intimately familiar with ANN's reviewer policies, but no longer has any reason to suck up to us clarifying these policies.

theblasblas wrote:
then you could at least pick a reviewer that's more representative of the target audience, especially since this is already the second season.
We always pick reviewers who will give a show a fair shake. Even if they are huge fans of the show, they must be able to point out its shortcomings. A reviewer who is going to do nothing but gush over a show isn't the kind we hire. Lynzee is reviewing Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid because she is a big fan of the first series, but still recognizes its flaws. In this way, she is the perfect reviewer for the show.

Someone who isn't able to point out this fanservice and say "Hey, this show is generally great, but you might not like this aspect of it," would be the wrong reviewer.

It's great if a reader can read that critique and say, "Oh, I get it, but that doesn't bother me at all, so I'm going to check this anime out." Despite Lynzee's comments, someone somewhere is going to read the review and say, "Hey, I like that kind of fanservice. I can't believe I missed the first season; I should check this out." There's no need for a fan to get personally offended when a reviewer criticizes an aspect of an anime that the fan either doesn't mind or actively enjoys.

Quote:
Seriously, if they're making comments like "For the mainstream audience, or anyone otherwise not interested in fanservice that involves creeping on kid characters" they're just not the right reviewer for Dragon Maid.
To be clear, Lynzee was referring to mainstream anime fans, ie: anime fans who are not "interested in fanservice that involves creeping on kid[or having the appearance of children] characters." There are a lot of people who love Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid who aren't into this particular kind of fanservice, and she was keeping them in mind in the review. She most certainly was not referring to non-anime fans.

Christopher Macdonald
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:28 pm Reply with quote
palom wrote:

I guess you would avoid shows like Ranma 1/2 then, because this is just a classic genderbender jokes. The plot twist is that usually the boy/girl turned into the opposite gender tends to hide their identity tricking the rest that he/she is another person, while Kobayashi can't do it since she looks the same not matter the body change.

As I said, a male body have biologically a higher sex drive due the tetosterone and the issue that they can't hide their erections once it appears. There's nothing wrong about that, it's just biology. Kobayashi was trying to hide what happened to her in order to avoid Thooru trying to take advantage of her male libido, and she was right since once Tooru realized about that she drugs Kobayashi with a love potion.

I actually like Ranma quite a bit! As always, context matters! It would really help if you stopped looking at art like a spreadsheet. For one, Ranma uses it's body switching for a variety of jokes that are far better than the idea of popping a boner. For another we exist in the present time. A joke that may have flied in the past might not now, because hey, time marches on and we're better able to understand other people and what was once funny might not be anymore. I'm perfectly able to go back to Ranma and see that some of those jokes haven't aged well, but understand the time period they were made in. And before that gets turned into some nonsense about how modern day can't do comedy, barely any current day comedies that are great could've been made back then. Nothing is made in a vacuum, and it's important to remember the atmosphere a thing is made in. A bad gender essentialist gag made in 2021 is exactly that, a bad gender essentialist gag in 2021.

As for your remark that "it's just biology" you know what else increases sex drive? Estrogen. Having a dick, having testosterone, 'maleness' is not exclusive to increased sex drive. The idea that it is is one of the problems of this type of gender essentialism. If, as some posters have claimed, that the point of this bad premise was to prove that Kobayashi is the same person no matter her body, then it really makes no sense once you know that the premise it's based on isn't true.
FubukiAF

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd initially dropped the first season of Dragon Maid after the first few episodes precisely because of the issues Lynzee described. Her review almost persuaded me to give it another shot.

Then I read the comments from the show's defenders.

Yeah, I think I'll sit this one out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:06 pm Reply with quote
MetaSoshi9 wrote:
I don't fully understand the issue people have with Ilulu. She is canonically around the same age as Tohru as Tohru mentions in ep 2, so she isn't a child like Kanna. She doesn't have large breasts just to have large breasts, she can't fully control herself and that carries through into her human form of her body. Hence why she couldn't procure proper human hands as well.

She's got hands down by episode 3. Do you think she'll learn to contain her boobs to human proportions before the end of the series? I think we all know the answer to that.

Just because a writer devises an explanation to handwave the things they want to put in a story (say, like huge boobs) doesn't mean that those things had to be that way in the story for it to work. Explaining problematic elements in-universe doesn't make them no longer problematic (if they were ever problematic for you in the first place, which they may not have been). If it did, we'd see hentai in early evening children's programming with the explanation that that's just how the characters in this world say hello. "Ah! It was explained! Well no problem then."
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
MetaSoshi9 wrote:

She's got hands down by episode 3. Do you think she'll learn to contain her boobs to human proportions before the end of the series? I think we all know the answer to that.

Just because a writer devises an explanation to handwave the things they want to put in a story (say, like huge boobs) doesn't mean that those things had to be that way in the story for it to work. Explaining problematic elements in-universe doesn't make them no longer problematic (if they were ever problematic for you in the first place, which they may not have been). If it did, we'd see hentai in early evening children's programming with the explanation that that's just how the characters in this world say hello. "Ah! It was explained! Well no problem then."

E2...Tohru explained the gag, Ilulu's breasts are as small as she can make them in her human form as her natural chest size is just that massive- Kobayashi reacted as expected.
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

theblasblas wrote:
then you could at least pick a reviewer that's more representative of the target audience, especially since this is already the second season.
We always pick reviewers who will give a show a fair shake. Even if they are huge fans of the show, they must be able to point out its shortcomings. A reviewer who is going to do nothing but gush over a show isn't the kind we hire. Lynzee is reviewing Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid because she is a big fan of the first series, but still recognizes its flaws. In this way, she is the perfect reviewer for the show.

Christopher Macdonald

I'm assuming you haven't read the One PIece reviews lately then? Laughing
theblasblas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Tomokocchi wrote:
Saying Dragon Maid is just "a fanservice show" is doing it a great disservice to the heart it has and the strength of its writing and characters.

I don't understand people adding a "just" when there was no "just". At the very least when I said that Maid Dragon was a fanservice show I did not mean to imply that it had limited creativity or depth, but that the fanservice was an indelible part of Maid Dragon and largely contributed to its appeal.

I think the earlier "salad with croutons" analogy made by that other person is apt for this. The review is essentially "The croutons were fantastic, flavorful and crunchy! I don't like the salad though so I mostly ignored it, but sometimes some green stuff got stuck on the croutons and that kinda soured the experience. I think there was too much vinaigrette... anyway there were taste issues".
#LevantineA'rabiAnimeFan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:14 pm Reply with quote
kakugo complete wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:

Why did I instantly know that that Youtube link was gonna be to a Noralities video? Yeah, I have already watched her content, and most of it is crap with bad research and extremely far reaching claims. Some of which are extremely offensive.

I'm not saying she's a great analyst, I'm saying this random Tumblr user still has more observational skill than people who convinced themselves S1 wasn't full of loli sexualization.

I feel like people really exagerate Kanna/Riko's sexualisation, like okay, you can argue that the twister scene sexualised them to an extent, but beyond that I really don't see how anything they did at least in the 1st season ever crossed the line into being something that could be seen as sexual, they never do anything that wouldn't be seen as a normal childhood friendship and even twister isn't something out of the ordinary for children, the angles where definitely animated in a way that did show off body parts like their thighs but it wasn't like they were actually touching each other in a sexual way. I have the first volume of the spinoff that's just about them specifically and they act like normal primary school children who are friends without even scenes like the twister scene, which I think at least to me shows that their relationship isn't actually sexual and that the scenes that have sexual connotations were more like a joke that the author can draw very lewd things with questionable subjects and they then set them up but nothing actually happens because its not that kind of manga, and the anime adaptation just adapted it, I may be wrong but that's how I saw it.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:32 pm Reply with quote
As someone who doesn't like Ilulu from a design or character perspective (I honestly think she was an unnecessary addition to the cast) I found myself liking this episode a lot more than the first 2. It feels more like what I liked about S1, some introspective character moments with absurd humor interspersed.

As for whether Ilulu "belongs in the child group or the adult group" that's where some of both my uncertainty and appreciation for her character come in. On the one hand she never got to have a proper childhood and by interacting with the kid group she can start to build those skills and relationships she never could as a child especially considering manga spoilers spoiler[she ends up working at a candy store to be able to interact with more kids by the end of her arc]. On the other hand her being a part of the kid group means all the fanservice and talk of wanting to "mate with" Kobayashi, while not necessarily being creepy, makes me wince a little bit every time it happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10